Re: Arc 1120 / 840 stack

  • loco4viento
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hey James,

      Here's what I have to tell you...

      I like my rear stack lines about 10-20 cm longer than the fronts, so
      I made a little pigtail leader for the rear attachment points with a
      couple of knots to play with...then my actual stack lines are all the
      same length and it makes for an easier time rigging.

      I'd cut your lines in half, go with 4m lines, all the strong stuff
      and interchangeable, also for quicker hassle-free rigging. I've used
      as short as 2m (a bit too short); my current stack lines are 5m. I
      like them shorter than 7 or 8 meters as they keep things neat and the
      stack flies even more like one big kite.

      I think in 15 knots you'll wish you were flying only one kite.
      However, I'll bet in about 7 or 8 knots up to about 12 you'll LOVE
      it, and from 12-15 you'll be holding your own and hoping the wind
      dies down a bit.

      Preinflate as well as you can. If you are already accustomed to
      launching off a tip, do it that way; otherwise go with the straight
      downwind launch if that's your normal routine. Most importantly,
      control the ascent of the stack...REAL SLOWLY all the way, don't
      let'em get way up there until they are pretty full.

      I find the stack goes upwind GREAT and pulls well to the edge of the
      window. You want to see the rear stack lines slightly slack to assure
      yourself that the top kite has no brakes applied.

      Have fun...keep it SLOOOOOW on the launch, and if it's looking to be
      more than about 13 knots I'd just stick with the 1120.

      John

      --- In kitesurf@y..., "James Forster" <jamesforster@b...> wrote:
      > Hi guys
      > I posted a similar ? sometime ago about stacking
      an 840 & a 630 but I never got around to it. I now have an 1120 and
      I am looking to stack it with my 840 tomorrow (Saturday) here in
      Perth at Pinnaroo point where 12 to 18 kt winds have been forecast. I
      weigh around 68 kg and will be using a narrow directional board. Does
      this mix sound about right?
      > Will I be overpowered,be able go up wind? I assume they will have
      to be flown completely depowered. I made up a set of 8 metre
      stacking lines salvaged from an inversion that got ugly, using the
      light stuff for the rears . I did'nt have enough of the heavier stuff
      to make up all four lines . I'm hoping this will be ok.
      > Your input
      please .

      Thanks in
      anticipation James.

    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 1, 2002
        Watched JB (John Messenger) using the Aero 20M in the puddle known as
        Narrabeen lake, wind was barely 8knots and he was doing runs across the
        mouth of the lake (approx 50M wide)!!
        It was great to watch as he would go right to edge and then do transition
        moves, occasionally getting a jump of 10' or so. He is a pleasure to watch,
        awesome kite control in such a tight spot.
        I got to fly the kite on land when he had a rest, it is like a 12.0 the way
        it turns and flies fast for a big kite. JB normally uses ARX, but does not
        like the big ones, over 15.5, he says this will be his light wind
        competition kite now!
        I saw him drop it and it re-launched quickly and easily, in the wind that
        was there that was very impressive too!
        Cya and
        Goodwinds
        Steve McCormack
        http://www.kitepower.com.au
        mailto:sydney@...
        126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
        Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
        Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
        mailto:geelong@...
      • kujira99jp
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 1, 2002
          Hi James,
          I've used the 1120/840 combo a few times now and I am always awed by
          the power it has. I only need enough wind to keep the kites in the
          air, which would be around 7 knots minimum, and I can easily get
          upwind without having to sine the stack at all. Actually it parks
          really easily but the tendancy to 'auto zenith' is quite strong and I
          have to make some effort to keep it down. Relaunch seems easier than
          a single one, as the 2 kites seem to help each other get out of the
          water! That is, unless the wind is really weak and then you're in
          for a really shitty swim back with 20+ square metres of air mattress.
          I'm definitely getting overpowered the minute I see any whitecaps,
          even small ones, so I'd say my max is 12 knots, and at that point the
          pressure on my legs is huge. I'm 58kgs and use a medium sized twin
          tip. My stack lines are 5 metres, equal length, but my attachment
          point on the spars are equal too- I added another attachment point on
          the 1120. Works really well. Have fun but don't try and launch this
          stack in 18 knots or you won't come back down!!
          Cheers, Jason.

          --- In kitesurf@y..., "James Forster" <jamesforster@b...> wrote:
          > Hi guys
          > I posted a similar ? sometime ago about stacking
          an 840 & a 630 but I never got around to it. I now have an 1120 and
          I am looking to stack it with my 840 tomorrow (Saturday) here in
          Perth at Pinnaroo point where 12 to 18 kt winds have been forecast. I
          weigh around 68 kg and will be using a narrow directional board. Does
          this mix sound about right?
          > Will I be overpowered,be able go up wind? I assume they will have
          to be flown completely depowered. I made up a set of 8 metre
          stacking lines salvaged from an inversion that got ugly, using the
          light stuff for the rears . I did'nt have enough of the heavier stuff
          to make up all four lines . I'm hoping this will be ok.
          > Your input
          please .

          Thanks in
          anticipation James.

        • Kitepower
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 1, 2002
            How many times have you used your kites stacked?
            How many times would you have re-launched them off the water, in water too
            deep to stand up in, and after crashing them on the water?
            Have you ever crashed them LE down, and been able to re-launch?

            Cya and
            Goodwinds
            Steve McCormack
            http://www.kitepower.com.au
            mailto:sydney@...
            Open 7 days
            126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
            Phone +61293157894

            I've used the 1120/840 combo a few times now and I am always awed by
            the power it has. I only need enough wind to keep the kites in the
            air, which would be around 7 knots minimum, and I can easily get
            upwind without having to sine the stack at all. Actually it parks
            really easily but the tendancy to 'auto zenith' is quite strong and I
            have to make some effort to keep it down. Relaunch seems easier than
            a single one, as the 2 kites seem to help each other get out of the
            water! That is, unless the wind is really weak and then you're in
            for a really shitty swim back with 20+ square metres of air mattress.
            I'm definitely getting overpowered the minute I see any whitecaps,
            even small ones, so I'd say my max is 12 knots, and at that point the
            pressure on my legs is huge. I'm 58kgs and use a medium sized twin
            tip. My stack lines are 5 metres, equal length, but my attachment
            point on the spars are equal too- I added another attachment point on
            the 1120. Works really well. Have fun but don't try and launch this
            stack in 18 knots or you won't come back down!!
            Cheers, Jason.

            --- In kitesurf@y..., "James Forster" <jamesforster@b...> wrote:
            > Hi guys
            > I posted a similar ? sometime ago about stacking
            an 840 & a 630 but I never got around to it. I now have an 1120 and
            I am looking to stack it with my 840 tomorrow (Saturday) here in
            Perth at Pinnaroo point where 12 to 18 kt winds have been forecast. I
            weigh around 68 kg and will be using a narrow directional board. Does
            this mix sound about right?
            > Will I be overpowered,be able go up wind? I assume they will have
            to be flown completely depowered. I made up a set of 8 metre
            stacking lines salvaged from an inversion that got ugly, using the
            light stuff for the rears . I did'nt have enough of the heavier stuff
            to make up all four lines . I'm hoping this will be ok.
            > Your input
            please .

            Thanks in
            anticipation James.

          • loco4viento
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 2, 2002
              Hey Steve,

              I know you didn't ask me, but good question nonetheless, and I
              wouldn't mind other stackers answering it too.

              I've probably spent about 75-100 hours kitesurfing under my 1120/840
              stack, some of it in the pre-wedge days and some of it since (maybe
              half and half???). I don't keep a close log of how many exact hours,
              but rather count by skin wrinkles, skin cancers, hair loss and
              occasionally carbon-14 dating techniques for the longer sessions.

              I've never crashed them yet and so I can't tell you about relaunch.
              But I can tell you that everything I've heard from you (collectively)
              kite guys about the stability of stacks became evident almost
              immediately during my first stack flight over a year ago. The
              1120/840 is incredibly easy to fly and more stable than I ever
              imagined.

              I occasionally read posts about the stack not flying to the edge of
              the window, but I find the stack pulls well toward the edge. My
              interpretation is that in super light winds (like when you're
              kitesurfing with a stack and a single arc wouldn't work) the apparent
              wind effects are WAY more significant than in any other situation;
              this limits upwind progress and also makes the kite appear to be
              farther back in the window, when in actuality the window is really
              shifted due to the direction of apparent wind. As a kite guy, does
              this make sense to you Steve, or do you think I'm misinterpreting my
              experiences? Anybody else?

              The relaunch issue with a stack is almost a non-issue for me since
              the stack is so incredibly stable and easy to fly. Of course, it's
              only a matter of time before I'm doing the "swim of shame" with my
              soggy 20m of ripstop, so I still only kitesurf as far as I'm willing
              to risk swimming (which is a good idea for any kitesurfing session).

              John

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • kujira99jp
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 2, 2002
                So far I've used this stack around 10 times I guess (only been
                kitesurfing for a year), and had to 'relaunch' probably 3 or 4 times-
                I say 'relaunch' because it basically does it by itself, when the
                kites are in the drink they kind of hold each other's tips open and
                in a short while up it goes again. When stacking I've never had it do
                the Mexican taco thing yet. I nearly always kitesurf in water too
                deep to stand up in, that includes when I use this stack. I've never
                crashed them LE down so cannot comment on relaunchability in that
                case, I imagine it'd be pretty frustrating in such light wind
                though. As I wrote before, it takes an effort to keep it low to the
                water and I don't need to sine it at all- the times I crashed it was
                due to pilot error, I dragged a tip when trying to keep it low enough
                to prevent overpowering in around 12 knots!
                I've swum back twice with it, that was due to the wind dropping below
                the required minimum to keep it up in the air, it backed down and
                that was it, game over.
                Jason

                > How many times have you used your kites stacked?
                > How many times would you have re-launched them off the water, in
                water too
                > deep to stand up in, and after crashing them on the water?
                > Have you ever crashed them LE down, and been able to re-launch?
                >

                > Cya and
                > Goodwinds
                > Steve McCormack
              • Kitepower
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 2, 2002
                  G'day John, Jason & James
                  I asked those questions out of curiosity and scepticism (about the
                  relaunching)!! ;-)
                  It think it is obvious that the crashes any of you have had where the kites
                  re-launch easily is when you have just put them in on the side, not LE or TE
                  down. I would say that every sled style kite, including inflatos, will
                  re-launch easily from this position, provided the tips don't stick or fall
                  together on the arc stack.
                  I think Johns advice regarding not going further from shore than you are
                  prepared to swim is very wise!

                  Regarding Johns experience of light wind kiting, I think what you are
                  experiencing is the fact that the real wind window shrinks in size, in light
                  winds.
                  You can visually see the window shrinks by flying any kite in light winds
                  and see how far to either side of you, the kite will fly, put a mark in the
                  sand at the angle where the kite stops or will park.
                  If you were suddenly able to turn the wind up to 15 - 20 knots and fly the
                  same kite, you would see that the marks in the sand would need to be moved
                  much further out, good kites will give you very close to a 180 degree wind
                  window.
                  I hope you can understand this simple explanation?
                  So anyway no kites fly to windward as well in light winds, going upwind is
                  still possible, but much more difficult, if there are lulls that
                  substantially lower you speed.

                  I have only flown arc stacks on land on a couple of occasions, but I have
                  witnessed several successful sessions. The one crash I saw the kites laid
                  flat on the water and it was all over.
                  I would agree that an arc stack is even more stable than a single kite, I
                  think that has something to do with the auto zenithing of arcs.

                  One of the reasons I asked about re-launching, and I hope you remaining
                  arcers here will back me up, is that stacking should not be attempted by
                  beginners who are still not confident sailors (able to self launch, water
                  start, go upwind, turn without falling), agreed?

                  *
                  * --- In kitesurf@y..., "Kitepower" <kitepower@b...> wrote:
                  * > How many times have you used your kites stacked?
                  * > How many times would you have re-launched them off the water, in
                  * water too
                  * > deep to stand up in, and after crashing them on the water?
                  * > Have you ever crashed them LE down, and been able to re-launch?
                  * >
                  * >
[...]
                  * > >
                  * > Thanks in
                  * > anticipation James.
                  * > >
                  * > >
                  * > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  * >
                  * >
                  * > <<<to unsubscribe send a message to kitesurf-unsubscribe@e...>>>
                  * >
                  * > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  * http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  *
                  *
                  * <<<to unsubscribe send a message to kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>
                  *
                  * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  *
                  *
                • kujira99jp
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 2, 2002
                    Agreed!
                    Jason

                    > One of the reasons I asked about re-launching, and I hope you
                    remaining
                    > arcers here will back me up, is that stacking should not be
                    attempted by
                    > beginners who are still not confident sailors (able to self launch,
                    water
                    > start, go upwind, turn without falling), agreed?
                    >

                    > Cya and
                    > Goodwinds
                    > Steve McCormack
                  • darcedarce
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 2, 2002
                      > How many times have you used your kites stacked?
                      > How many times would you have re-launched them off the water, in
                      water too
                      > deep to stand up in, and after crashing them on the water?
                      > Have you ever crashed them LE down, and been able to re-launch?

                      I've flown an 840/630 stack around 10-15 times now, had to relaunch
                      twice - both times LE down. The first time went no problems, the
                      second time saw the 840 inverting before launch, but I was able to
                      haul in on the front lines and get it right way up (albeit twisted
                      through it's lines) and relaunch ok.

                      I solo launch the kites mainly, and have found that a tip launch
                      downwind works the best.
                    • fernmanus
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 5, 2002
                        Steve,

                        Do you have any idea of what the aspect ratio is on the 20 M Aero?

                        How does the responsiveness of the kite compare with the 16.4 Wipika
                        Airblast?

                        Thanks much!

                        Kenny

                        > Watched JB (John Messenger) using the Aero 20M in the puddle known
                        as
                        > Narrabeen lake, wind was barely 8knots and he was doing runs across
                        the
                        > mouth of the lake (approx 50M wide)!!
                        > It was great to watch as he would go right to edge and then do
                        transition
                        > moves, occasionally getting a jump of 10' or so. He is a pleasure
                        to watch,
                        > awesome kite control in such a tight spot.
                        > I got to fly the kite on land when he had a rest, it is like a 12.0
                        the way
                        > it turns and flies fast for a big kite. JB normally uses ARX, but
                        does not
                        > like the big ones, over 15.5, he says this will be his light wind
                        > competition kite now!
                        > I saw him drop it and it re-launched quickly and easily, in the
                        wind that
                        > was there that was very impressive too!
                        > Cya and
                        > Goodwinds
                        > Steve McCormack
                        > http://www.kitepower.com.au
                        > mailto:sydney@k...
                        > 126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                        > Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                        > Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
                        > mailto:geelong@k...
                      • Kitepower
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 6, 2002
                          I have only flown a 16.4 on land, I have a friend who has one. There is no
                          comparison!
                          The AR of the Aero would be high 4's IMO. I have only flown the Aero 20 on
                          land, but I stood only metres away from Australia's best rider watching him
                          put it through its paces in a 50M wide pool of water. Try that with an
                          AB16.4 and you will slam into the rocks on either side like the person on
                          the 21.5 Naish ARX!!!

                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 6, 2002
                            Steve, have you flown the 2002 16.4 Airblast ?

                            We have not got the 16.4 here yet, only the smaller sizes.

                            The 2002 11.8 is much quicker turning than the 2001 11.8 (which was
                            not bad turning either) - what about the 16.4 - is it noticable
                            quicker too, or not ???

                            :-) Peter

                            > I have only flown a 16.4 on land, I have a friend who has one.
                            There is no
                            > comparison!
                            > The AR of the Aero would be high 4's IMO. I have only flown the
                            Aero 20 on
                            > land, but I stood only metres away from Australia's best rider
                            watching him
                            > put it through its paces in a 50M wide pool of water. Try that with
                            an
                            > AB16.4 and you will slam into the rocks on either side like the
                            person on
                            > the 21.5 Naish ARX!!!
                            >
                            > Cya and
                            > Goodwinds
                            > Steve McCormack
                            > http://www.kitepower.com.au
                            > mailto:sydney@k...
                            > 126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                            > Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                            > Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic

                          • Kitepower

                              Steve, have you flown the 2002 16.4 Airblast ?

                              We have not got the 16.4 here yet, only the smaller sizes.

                              The 2002 11.8 is much quicker turning than the 2001 11.8 (which was
                              not bad turning either) - what about the 16.4 - is it noticable
                              quicker too, or not ???

                              :-) Peter

                              > I have only flown a 16.4 on land, I have a friend who has one.
                              There is no
                              > comparison!
                              > The AR of the Aero would be high 4's IMO. I have only flown the
                              Aero 20 on
                              > land, but I stood only metres away from Australia's best rider
                              watching him
                              > put it through its paces in a 50M wide pool of water. Try that with
                              an
                              > AB16.4 and you will slam into the rocks on either side like the
                              person on
                              > the 21.5 Naish ARX!!!
                              >
                              > Cya and
                              > Goodwinds
                              > Steve McCormack
                              > http://www.kitepower.com.au
                              > mailto:sydney@k...
                              > 126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                              > Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                              > Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic

                            • Stefano.
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 7, 2002
                                Kitepower wrote:

                                > I have only flown a 16.4 on land, I have a friend who has one. There is no
                                > comparison!
                                > The AR of the Aero would be high 4's IMO. I have only flown the Aero 20 on
                                > land, but I stood only metres away from Australia's best rider watching him
                                > put it through its paces in a 50M wide pool of water. Try that with an
                                > AB16.4 and you will slam into the rocks on either side like the person on
                                > the 21.5 Naish ARX!!!

                                i didnt understand what you meant by that ... what do you mean slam into the
                                rocks ? why ?
                              • Kitepower
                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 7, 2002
                                  He could not turn the ARX, the pool of water they were riding in was no more
                                  than 50M wide, it had rocks and wire on each side.
                                  I also meant a 2001 16.4AB, I have not flown the latest model.
                                  If the kite could not turn very quickly you could not ride in this tiny
                                  puddle of water, that's all I meant?

                                  Cya and
                                  Goodwinds
                                  Steve McCormack
                                  http://www.kitepower.com.au
                                  mailto:sydney@...
                                  Open 7 days
                                  126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
                                  Phone +61293157894

                                  > I have only flown a 16.4 on land, I have a friend who has one. There is no
                                  > comparison!
                                  > The AR of the Aero would be high 4's IMO. I have only flown the Aero 20 on
                                  > land, but I stood only metres away from Australia's best rider watching
                                  him
                                  > put it through its paces in a 50M wide pool of water. Try that with an
                                  > AB16.4 and you will slam into the rocks on either side like the person on
                                  > the 21.5 Naish ARX!!!

                                  i didnt understand what you meant by that ... what do you mean slam into the
                                  rocks ? why ?

                                • kiteboardingjapan
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 10, 2002
                                    > He could not turn the ARX, the pool of water they were riding in
                                    was no more
                                    > than 50M wide, it had rocks and wire on each side.
                                    > I also meant a 2001 16.4AB, I have not flown the latest model.
                                    > If the kite could not turn very quickly you could not ride in this
                                    tiny
                                    > puddle of water, that's all I meant?
                                    >
                                    > Cya and
                                    > Goodwinds
                                    > Steve McCormack

                                    Steve, I think it was the level of the rider that enabled him to ride
                                    in such a small space. I've used the Aero 16 with the stock bar, and
                                    it turned like a boat! I don't think that the 20m would be any better.

                                    Nick
                                  • Kitepower
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 10, 2002
                                      G'day Nick

                                      The people riding in the puddle that day were all very experienced riders.
                                      The Aero 20M was the best turning kite. It turned like a North 12.0M. I have
                                      flown an Aero 16.0M on land, and I did not think the 20.0M was very
                                      different?
                                      Perhaps the kite you flew was set up poorly and was depowered? How long was
                                      the "stock" bar you used?

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 11, 2002
                                        > G'day Nick
                                        >
                                        > The people riding in the puddle that day were all very experienced
                                        riders.
                                        > The Aero 20M was the best turning kite. It turned like a North
                                        12.0M. I have
                                        > flown an Aero 16.0M on land, and I did not think the 20.0M was very
                                        > different?
                                        > Perhaps the kite you flew was set up poorly and was depowered? How
                                        long was
                                        > the "stock" bar you used?

                                        Steve,
                                        I don't think that the Aero 20M can turn like a North 12m. I've been
                                        using Norths (including the 12m) for 3 months now, and I've riden
                                        with the Aero 16m a few times. The turn speed wasn't even close. The
                                        Aeros I flew were part of a Naish promotional event. They were set up
                                        by the Naish distributor and were used by the Naish pro rider here.
                                        Can't remember how long the stock bar was, but I'd guess at about
                                        55cm. I fly my Norths all on a 23" (58cm) Cabrinha bar. They could
                                        easily be flown on a shorter bar. Aeros do not turn faster than ARXs.

                                        Nick
                                      • Kitepower
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Mar 11, 2002
                                          G'day Nick

                                          I don't want to argue with you about this, this is the last comment I make
                                          about this kite. I have 4 Rhinos, that are my personal kites, so I know them
                                          well. I also have 3 F-Ones, which are awesome and being overlooked by many
                                          people wanting huge range in a kite.
                                          I sponsor a rider who uses Aeros exclusively, I also sponsor JB (rider on
                                          the 20M in the puddle). Part of my job is to fly kites, virtually every day!
                                          I don't know why you keep defending ARX kites and wanting to diss Aero
                                          kites?
                                          I have actually flown all the kites we are talking about, so it is not a
                                          matter of "thinking" the Aero will not turn as well as an ARX. Even the
                                          smaller ARX's need a lot of effort to steer, which some people like, I
                                          don't.
                                          Have you flown a monster ARX? I'm talking the 19.5, 21.5 or 23.5? Ever
                                          wondered why not many have been sold?
                                          The other kite in the lagoon was a 21.5 Naish ARX, it turned like shit
                                          compared to the Aero 20.0M!
                                          Naish Aero's are not slow turning kites, not even the 16.0M, they are one of
                                          the best kites for 2002, and I think they are the best Naish kites I have
                                          flown.

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Mar 11, 2002
                                            Hi Steve

                                            About the ARXs... You are totally RIGHT!!! I never used or even saw a
                                            Aero 20M, but I can say that the ARX 19.5 (I've one) turns like a
                                            BOAT!!! And it needs A LOT of bar pressure, even with the power
                                            booster bridle (that I think even makes it slower, but takes a lot of
                                            bar pressure).

                                            Good winds
                                            Carlos

                                          • kiteboardingjapan
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Mar 11, 2002
                                              > G'day Nick
                                              >
                                              > I don't want to argue with you about this, this is the last comment
                                              I make
                                              > about this kite.

                                              Fair enough, my last comment too...

                                              >I have 4 Rhinos, that are my personal kites, so I know them
                                              > well.

                                              ditto.

                                              >Part of my job is to fly kites, virtually every day!

                                              ditto.

                                              > I don't know why you keep defending ARX kites and wanting to diss
                                              > Aero kites?

                                              I'm certainly not defending ARX kites. Not dissing the Aero, just
                                              stating what I experienced on the water with the kite. The Aero 16m
                                              does not turn as fast as a North 12m. I have even used both these
                                              kites on the same day.

                                              > I have actually flown all the kites we are talking about, so it is
                                              > not a matter of "thinking" the Aero will not turn as well as an
                                              > ARX. Even the smaller ARX's need a lot of effort to steer, which
                                              > some people like, I don't.

                                              I was posting about the turn speed of the North 12m Vs Aero 16m. They
                                              are not the same. I have flown these kites on the water. I also
                                              experienced that the Naish ARX 15.5 turns faster and can be used in
                                              lower winds than the Naish 16m.

                                              > Have you flown a monster ARX? I'm talking the 19.5, 21.5 or 23.5?
                                              > Ever wondered why not many have been sold?

                                              Yes, and they turn like boats. I'd never buy one.

                                              > The other kite in the lagoon was a 21.5 Naish ARX, it turned like
                                              >shit compared to the Aero 20.0M! Naish Aero's are not slow turning
                                              >kites, not even the 16.0M, they are one of the best kites for 2002,
                                              >and I think they are the best Naish kites I have
                                              > flown.

                                              I've flown many of the 2002 kites and think they all fly really well.
                                              I personally didn't like the Aeros. I've used the 8, 10, 12 & 16 over
                                              a 2 week period. They are probably the worst gust handling kites I've
                                              ever flown. If you have steady winds, they'd fly great.

                                              Nick
                                            • Kitepower
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Mar 14, 2002
                                                We had a film shoot to do the other day, Murphys law of kiteboarding meant
                                                the wind was hovering around 5 knots all day!!
                                                JB was able to get going and even do some small transition moves with his
                                                Aero 20M, he has a really interesting technique for getting more speed in
                                                these low wind conditions from his board, as he says this is what is
                                                stopping him. So he pumps the board, with his legs as he sheets the kite out
                                                a bit and keeps it flying, parked at approx 10.30
                                                It has a porpoising look to it and definitely speeds the board up to the
                                                point where he can swing the kite back, get a bit of air and do a backroll
                                                or something.
                                                I could not get as much power as he had from my Warrior 12.5, but I did
                                                manage a few decent runs.
                                                Other kites on the water were a sweet looking red and white Arc (g'day
                                                again, Rod from Japan!) 16.4, 2001 AB with no bridles, and an 8.5 C-Quad!!
                                                The 15.1 F-One was able to fly easily on the beach but was not enough to get
                                                on the water with.

                                              • callum_downie
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Mar 14, 2002
                                                  Hey steve,
                                                  I've heard the 18.1 fone is generally better than the 20 aero, i.e
                                                  can get going earlier due to it's sinus ability in light winds, jumps
                                                  better because it is faster..
                                                  Have you flown it to get an opinion?
                                                  I saw one flying, it turns so fast, can't believe how wide the tips
                                                  on it are.

                                                  Cheers
                                                  Callum

                                                • igsmith
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Mar 14, 2002
                                                    Any thoughts on the 16 airush lift? I have one, but haven't had the
                                                    conditions to use it yet.

                                                  • Dwight & Jacky
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Mar 14, 2002
                                                      > Any thoughts on the 16 airush lift? I have one, but haven't had the
                                                      > conditions to use it yet.

                                                      I've flown side by side with one while I was on my 22.5 Rhino. It's a smaller looking kite and
                                                      definitely has less power. It's high aspect and the guys using it noticed it was pitch sensitive in
                                                      light winds. Go easy on the chicken loop stroke. Maybe use the strap in small adjustments when the
                                                      wind is light. You can make the kite fall if you're not careful. You should enjoy the kite. My
                                                      friends liked it.

                                                      Dwight
                                                    • Kitepower
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Mar 15, 2002
                                                        No I haven't had a chance to fly an 18.1 F-One yet. You would have seen Leon
                                                        Clemones on his, Leon and JB are great mates and generally fly together.
                                                        JB says he has to put the aero 20M away at around 12-13 knots, but on the
                                                        same day Leon will still be out on the 18.1 without any trim strap pulled
                                                        in!! JB reckons a solid 15 knots is all Leon could comfortably handle, but
                                                        Leon has been witnessed riding his 15.1 in solid 25 knots too!
                                                        I have recently bought a couple of large foils thinking they would perform
                                                        better than inflatos or Arcs and have found no real advantage over the
                                                        latest inflatos, especially the F-One's.
                                                        I am seriously considering getting an 18.1 F-One for my super light wind
                                                        kite, before this kite came along I was never impressed with any of the
                                                        monster kites over 16.0M flat.
                                                        Looking good for some Nor'easters today and the next couple of days.