Re: Airush Kites - 7.4 Lift besides in a set with an airblast 11.8?

  • peter_frank_dk
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
      This is funny - because a few days ago (tuesday) someone asked
      whether he could find a kite to fit between the 8.4 and 11.8 (look at
      post 48549 and 48606), because he thinks the gap is too big !

      But like I said - I also think they overlap quite often (and still
      feels very different in size).
      The 2000 kites (all brands) did not overlap, even with much smaller
      size gap - so we've come a huuuuge way regarding windrange on newer
      kites ! Great.

      But people are apparently very different in "sizing" respects.

      Some wants kites that can take over when one is too big/small - and
      others wants to pick one size that seems to fit for the day (and they
      would like for that very day), and then "just use it" all day.

      It is a question about the thickness of your wallet too, of course !

      But even if you had the chance/money to choose in small steps - not
      everyone would do it, because it is much easier to have a small
      quiver that you know by heart !

      :-) Peter

      --- In kitesurf@y..., "willempuk" <willempuk@y...> wrote:
      > Hi there,
      >
      > Last year I was using an airblast 8.4 + 11.8. The 8.4 I sold in
      > september. Now I'm thinking about buying another kite for the upper
      > range (higher winds).
      >
      > I thought that the 8.4 had too much of it's range in common with
      the
      > 11.8. I can remember surfing with my 11.8 all day, when a friend
      was
      > using my old 8.4. Both having fun.
      >
      > Do you think it's possible to combine a lift 7.4 (range 17-32
      knots)
      > with the airblast(2001) 11.8?
      >
      > Thanks for answering!
      > BlueSky

    • kitesicko
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
        Hey there Blue Sky,

        I have a friend who has tried to do the same thing as you are
        trying. To run a quiver of two kites covering a 25 knot wind range.
        Matt had only an 11.8 AB and a 6.3 AB. In the light to moderate
        winds Matt was fine on the 11.8 and when it was nukin he was fine on
        the 6.3, but quite often the wind would be around 20 odd knots and he
        would be undercooked on his 6.3 and getting completely spanked on the
        11.8.

        The ranges of the 11.8 and the Lift 7.4, although over lapping by a
        couple of knots are too far apart from each other. You would
        essentially have to wait until you are violently teabagging to
        changing down and working the lell out of the smaller kite and not
        jumping.

        To be really comfortable from 10 to 35 knots, you need a quiver of 3
        kites. The 9.4 Airush Lift is the perfect fit for the middle of the
        range and it works from around 12 knots to 25 knots, which falls
        perfectly in the middle. If you want to boost really big, then the
        9.4 is the kite for you.

        I would love to say you could hold this wind range with only two
        kites, and you can, but you aint gonna enjoy it. Matt wouldn't enjoy
        the fact that we were all out boosting comfortably in 20 -22 knots
        and he would still be sining to keep upwind. On a lighter side, it
        certainly made his kite choice easy ;-)

        Hope this helps,

        Darren Marshall
        http://www.australiankiteboardingschool.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
          I agree Darren !

          And if someone has a tight budget - it would be better to choose the
          two biggest kites, or the two smallest - but with the "right"
          distance.

          Then you could always get the missing size later...

          If you choose two kites too far from each other - you might end up
          selling one, or both - to obtain a well balanced quiver.

          So an Airrush 9.4 or Airblast 8.4 would complement the 11.8

          :-) Peter