SV: [ksurf] beginners kites

  • KITE:LIFE
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hi, i have to put my opinion here! DONT get a Waterfoil, Symphony or
      Kitesurfer type kite! There is a reson why they fo so cheep... When i
      started KS i bought those kites and could not get out of the water! I
      also do a little buggy riding and thougt it would work for both? Well it
      does NOT!

      When i finallay (after loosing lot's of money) got myself an Arc i just
      popped right out the water and there i was KITESURING :-)
      The Arc is an x-ellent begginer kite, really easy to lear on, then when
      U get a more demanding approch to KS replace it with an Lei kite
      (inflatable).
      Another good tip is to start on a medium size TT (Twin tip) and give the
      big directionals a miss... Easy to handle and no gybes.

      I have not tried the new flysurfers only the old mastair, but i hear
      they are x-elent kites... (if U like foils...)
      If U want Lei's the low AR 4-line (Wippi-hydro, Naish-Aero,
      Windtech-quantum) have not tried these but heard many good things..

      Sizes on kite & board depends on your size & weight and the conditions U
      will surf, i think the 840 and an 160-170 TT would be the best choise to
      start with, (i'm 175/65kg) if U are bigger go for the 1120/170 combo...

      By the way i have a PL 1120 and a board for sale (second hand) mail me
      privatly if intressted. ( kitlife@...) im in Sweden.

      Hope this helps...

      Mvh.

      Pan

      Team Kitepower.
      www.kitepower.se <http://www.kitepower.se>
      pan@... <mailto:pan@...>

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
        Hi

        Take any of your C-quads or foils and go body-dragging at nice
        friendly beach in cross-onshore winds. Do lots of body dragging and
        be prepared to get your kites wet.

        Get a board and keep up the practice.

        If you can get a WaterFowl for *next to nothing* (ie. throw away
        money) then you may as well buy one. I have seen 2 guys actually
        kiturfing with WaterFoils, everybody else just swears at them. I
        suspect it is mostly lack of experience.

        If you're a foil fan then buy a Boom Vector or the Flysurfer of your
        choice. Both of these brands are super stable and have good trimming
        systems (that means lots of range)

        You could go for an Arc but I prefer the foils myself.

        Alternatively you can't go wrong with a 4-line inflatable (except for
        some materials problems with some of them).

        Greg
      • domsports
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
          Hi Kitesurfers
          We are all entitled to our own opinions. But maybe some fact or
          skill to back it up would be nice.
          I personally don't think Waterfoils are the BEST kite for
          kitesailing. However, they work fine, relaunch faster than anything,
          and easily too. I have kited in the water for 80+ days, can stay
          upwind when powered, jibe about 99% including kite under jibes, can
          jump up to 12', and ride wakeboards and different sized directionals.
          Don't let any beginner tell you this kite or that kite works or not
          work. I even have good windsurfing friends tell me that thier kites
          are no good, only to see a better rider out and really doing hi
          performance moves. It's NOT solely the kite. It's in the hands of the
          rider. My good windsurfing friend switched from a foil to a Wip and
          says he is levels higher in ability. I see him out there doing the
          same thing, but he has more days now and can stay upwind and almost
          jibe. Well, maybe he couldn't with the foil, but he switched kites on
          his 10th day overall. How can he make the decision that the foil was
          no good. By the way, I have used his old kite and it works fine.
          So, the rider ability determines how well we kite. You can learn on
          any of the availible kites. Sure, some have limitations, but none are
          perfect yet. .. that's my two cents worth.. LeeD

          In kitesurf@y..., "jatsalos" <jatsalos@h...> wrote:
          > I started kitesurfing with a c-quad, You need to put some flotation
          > device on the kite, or it will sink. I then bought a water foil, I
          only
          > used it a few times and I decided to buy an inflatable. I am much
          > happier with the inflatable. I have been told that the 3 m water
          > foils are a much better kite that the 6m.
          >

          > John
          >

          > --- In kitesurf@y..., "space31uk" <space31@a...> wrote:
          > > I kitebuggy using foils and c-quads . I want to start kitesurfing
          > but
          > > have been told that the c-quads are unsuitable .I am
          > cosidering using
          > > waterfoils,symphony quads,secondhand arcs,free-airs or
          > maybe even a
          > > new flysurfer maniac . There`s all these choices and im lost
          > with
          > > which one to go for. Waterfoils are extremely cheap
          > secondhand which
          > > may be a deciding factor although the maniac sounds well
          > worth the
          > > money . Any advice you could give me will be much
          > appreciated as i
          > > have no experience with any of the kites mentioned .
        • Kitepower
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
            G'day Lee
            Your post reminds me of the old saying "A poor tradesman always blames his
            tools" !! :-)
            I agree with everything you say about waterfoils, except the relaunching
            bit, it depends on how they hit the water. I have only had 2 major swimming
            sessions after downing un -relaunchable water re-launching kites! One was on
            the first auto luffing 3.6 Waterfoil I owned, the other was on a xxl
            Quadrifoil kitesurfer foil. I do not recommend either to beginners.
            I prefer not to sell them, but I know they do work OK, you just have to be
            prepared to put up with narrow wind range, luffing, hard to land, limited
            re-launching, etc.
            I think the latest gen of inflatables and foils are getting as close to
            perfect as I can imagine a good kiteboarding kite to be at the moment, IMO.

            Cya and
            Goodwinds
            Steve McCormack
            http://www.kitepower.com.au
            mailto:sydney@...
            Open 7 days
            126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
            Phone +61293157894