Airush Kites - 7.4 Lift besides in a set with an airblast 11.8?

  • willempuk
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hi there,

      Last year I was using an airblast 8.4 + 11.8. The 8.4 I sold in
      september. Now I'm thinking about buying another kite for the upper
      range (higher winds).

      I thought that the 8.4 had too much of it's range in common with the
      11.8. I can remember surfing with my 11.8 all day, when a friend was
      using my old 8.4. Both having fun.

      Do you think it's possible to combine a lift 7.4 (range 17-32 knots)
      with the airblast(2001) 11.8?

      Thanks for answering!
      BlueSky

    • peter_frank_dk
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
        This is funny - because a few days ago (tuesday) someone asked
        whether he could find a kite to fit between the 8.4 and 11.8 (look at
        post 48549 and 48606), because he thinks the gap is too big !

        But like I said - I also think they overlap quite often (and still
        feels very different in size).
        The 2000 kites (all brands) did not overlap, even with much smaller
        size gap - so we've come a huuuuge way regarding windrange on newer
        kites ! Great.

        But people are apparently very different in "sizing" respects.

        Some wants kites that can take over when one is too big/small - and
        others wants to pick one size that seems to fit for the day (and they
        would like for that very day), and then "just use it" all day.

        It is a question about the thickness of your wallet too, of course !

        But even if you had the chance/money to choose in small steps - not
        everyone would do it, because it is much easier to have a small
        quiver that you know by heart !

        :-) Peter

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "willempuk" <willempuk@y...> wrote:
        > Hi there,
        >
        > Last year I was using an airblast 8.4 + 11.8. The 8.4 I sold in
        > september. Now I'm thinking about buying another kite for the upper
        > range (higher winds).
        >
        > I thought that the 8.4 had too much of it's range in common with
        the
        > 11.8. I can remember surfing with my 11.8 all day, when a friend
        was
        > using my old 8.4. Both having fun.
        >
        > Do you think it's possible to combine a lift 7.4 (range 17-32
        knots)
        > with the airblast(2001) 11.8?
        >
        > Thanks for answering!
        > BlueSky

      • kitesicko
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
          Hey there Blue Sky,

          I have a friend who has tried to do the same thing as you are
          trying. To run a quiver of two kites covering a 25 knot wind range.
          Matt had only an 11.8 AB and a 6.3 AB. In the light to moderate
          winds Matt was fine on the 11.8 and when it was nukin he was fine on
          the 6.3, but quite often the wind would be around 20 odd knots and he
          would be undercooked on his 6.3 and getting completely spanked on the
          11.8.

          The ranges of the 11.8 and the Lift 7.4, although over lapping by a
          couple of knots are too far apart from each other. You would
          essentially have to wait until you are violently teabagging to
          changing down and working the lell out of the smaller kite and not
          jumping.

          To be really comfortable from 10 to 35 knots, you need a quiver of 3
          kites. The 9.4 Airush Lift is the perfect fit for the middle of the
          range and it works from around 12 knots to 25 knots, which falls
          perfectly in the middle. If you want to boost really big, then the
          9.4 is the kite for you.

          I would love to say you could hold this wind range with only two
          kites, and you can, but you aint gonna enjoy it. Matt wouldn't enjoy
          the fact that we were all out boosting comfortably in 20 -22 knots
          and he would still be sining to keep upwind. On a lighter side, it
          certainly made his kite choice easy ;-)

          Hope this helps,

          Darren Marshall
          http://www.australiankiteboardingschool.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
            I agree Darren !

            And if someone has a tight budget - it would be better to choose the
            two biggest kites, or the two smallest - but with the "right"
            distance.

            Then you could always get the missing size later...

            If you choose two kites too far from each other - you might end up
            selling one, or both - to obtain a well balanced quiver.

            So an Airrush 9.4 or Airblast 8.4 would complement the 11.8

            :-) Peter