beginners kites

  • space31uk
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2002
      I kitebuggy using foils and c-quads . I want to start kitesurfing but
      have been told that the c-quads are unsuitable .I am cosidering using
      waterfoils,symphony quads,secondhand arcs,free-airs or maybe even a
      new flysurfer maniac . There`s all these choices and im lost with
      which one to go for. Waterfoils are extremely cheap secondhand which
      may be a deciding factor although the maniac sounds well worth the
      money . Any advice you could give me will be much appreciated as i
      have no experience with any of the kites mentioned .
    • domsports
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 28, 2002
        Hi fellow Kitesailer
        If you don't drop your kites, any kite big enough is OK to learn.
        Just DO NOT go too far away from the launch site. All the kites you
        mentioned are good for learning to kitesurf up to hi performance. YOU
        yourself have to show good judgement as to windspeeds and kitesize.
        If you are not really really well experienced, always choose kitesize
        conservatively, so you won't get yanked when solid objects are
        downwind of you. Inflatables are usually very reliable relaunchers.
        Foils all relaunch in less than 1/2 the time. All kites can tangle
        and provide NO relaunch. Foils only float for 45 minutes to 6 hours.
        Inflatables float much longer, at least 5 times longer. It's up to
        the rider to choose. The shops make more margins on inflates due to
        higher initial cost. Inflates DO work extremely well. So do foils.
        I've used Naish, Wips, Slingshots, Cabs, Arcs, Waterfoils, IO's,
        Aquas, Blades and X's. They all work well when I am on my game. No
        work well when I am off. It's us, not the EQ that determines how well
        we kite. LeeD

        - In kitesurf@y..., "space31uk" <space31@a...> wrote:
        > I kitebuggy using foils and c-quads . I want to start kitesurfing
        but
        > have been told that the c-quads are unsuitable .I am cosidering
        using
        > waterfoils,symphony quads,secondhand arcs,free-airs or maybe even a
        > new flysurfer maniac . There`s all these choices and im lost with
        > which one to go for. Waterfoils are extremely cheap secondhand
        which
        > may be a deciding factor although the maniac sounds well worth the
        > money . Any advice you could give me will be much appreciated as i
        > have no experience with any of the kites mentioned .
      • stuvagas
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 28, 2002
          Haven't flown the water foils but just start kitesurfing with your C-
          Quads if you already have them. Kane Hartil used to do awsome stuff
          on them. Just realise you could be in for a swim if you go too far
          offshore, in deep water.
          Note you will need to have a bigger kite for a given wind then you
          would when buggying.
          Then once you have decided that k-surfing is for you buy something
          nice maybe even new.

          Perhaps the reason the water foils are cheap second hand is people
          want to get rid of them and buy other kites.

          Stu

          --- In kitesurf@y..., "space31uk" <space31@a...> wrote:
          > I kitebuggy using foils and c-quads . I want to start kitesurfing
          but
          > have been told that the c-quads are unsuitable .I am cosidering
          using
          > waterfoils,symphony quads,secondhand arcs,free-airs or maybe even a
          > new flysurfer maniac . There`s all these choices and im lost with
          > which one to go for. Waterfoils are extremely cheap secondhand
          which
          > may be a deciding factor although the maniac sounds well worth the
          > money . Any advice you could give me will be much appreciated as i
          > have no experience with any of the kites mentioned .
        • jatsalos
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 28, 2002
            I started kitesurfing with a c-quad, You need to put some flotation
            device on the kite, or it will sink. I then bought a water foil, I only
            used it a few times and I decided to buy an inflatable. I am much
            happier with the inflatable. I have been told that the 3 m water
            foils are a much better kite that the 6m.

            John

            --- In kitesurf@y..., "space31uk" <space31@a...> wrote:
            > I kitebuggy using foils and c-quads . I want to start kitesurfing
            but
            > have been told that the c-quads are unsuitable .I am
            cosidering using
            > waterfoils,symphony quads,secondhand arcs,free-airs or
            maybe even a
            > new flysurfer maniac . There`s all these choices and im lost
            with
            > which one to go for. Waterfoils are extremely cheap
            secondhand which
            > may be a deciding factor although the maniac sounds well
            worth the
            > money . Any advice you could give me will be much
            appreciated as i
            > have no experience with any of the kites mentioned .
          • throb_list
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 28, 2002
              --- In kitesurf@y..., "space31uk" <space31@a...> wrote:
              > I kitebuggy using foils and c-quads . I want to start kitesurfing but
              > have been told that the c-quads are unsuitable .I am cosidering using
              > waterfoils,symphony quads,secondhand arcs,free-airs or maybe even a
              > new flysurfer maniac . There`s all these choices and im lost with
              > which one to go for. Waterfoils are extremely cheap secondhand which
              > may be a deciding factor although the maniac sounds well worth the
              > money . Any advice you could give me will be much appreciated as i
              > have no experience with any of the kites mentioned .

              Stu has a point... ask yourself why people are selling the waterfoils cheap.

              Also if you have been buggying for as long as you say then I woudl not recommend a totally beginners kite. You already know a bit about flying the kites and if you get a beginners kite you ar already setting yourself up for a upgrade in the near future.

              That said you will be needing (or wanting - but I tell my girlfriend needing!!) a new kite soon anyway since once your hooked (and you will be) you will want a full quiver!!

              Try to learn on the C-Quad ro else look at what the guys on your beach are using and get one of those!!
            • KITE:LIFE
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
                Hi, i have to put my opinion here! DONT get a Waterfoil, Symphony or
                Kitesurfer type kite! There is a reson why they fo so cheep... When i
                started KS i bought those kites and could not get out of the water! I
                also do a little buggy riding and thougt it would work for both? Well it
                does NOT!

                When i finallay (after loosing lot's of money) got myself an Arc i just
                popped right out the water and there i was KITESURING :-)
                The Arc is an x-ellent begginer kite, really easy to lear on, then when
                U get a more demanding approch to KS replace it with an Lei kite
                (inflatable).
                Another good tip is to start on a medium size TT (Twin tip) and give the
                big directionals a miss... Easy to handle and no gybes.

                I have not tried the new flysurfers only the old mastair, but i hear
                they are x-elent kites... (if U like foils...)
                If U want Lei's the low AR 4-line (Wippi-hydro, Naish-Aero,
                Windtech-quantum) have not tried these but heard many good things..

                Sizes on kite & board depends on your size & weight and the conditions U
                will surf, i think the 840 and an 160-170 TT would be the best choise to
                start with, (i'm 175/65kg) if U are bigger go for the 1120/170 combo...

                By the way i have a PL 1120 and a board for sale (second hand) mail me
                privatly if intressted. ( kitlife@...) im in Sweden.

                Hope this helps...

                Mvh.

                Pan

                Team Kitepower.
                www.kitepower.se <http://www.kitepower.se>
                pan@... <mailto:pan@...>

                I kitebuggy using foils and c-quads . I want to start kitesurfing but
                have been told that the c-quads are unsuitable .I am cosidering using
                waterfoils,symphony quads,secondhand arcs,free-airs or maybe even a
                new flysurfer maniac . There`s all these choices and im lost with
                which one to go for. Waterfoils are extremely cheap secondhand which
                may be a deciding factor although the maniac sounds well worth the
                money . Any advice you could give me will be much appreciated as i
                have no experience with any of the kites mentioned .

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • gregwalshau
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
                  Hi

                  Take any of your C-quads or foils and go body-dragging at nice
                  friendly beach in cross-onshore winds. Do lots of body dragging and
                  be prepared to get your kites wet.

                  Get a board and keep up the practice.

                  If you can get a WaterFowl for *next to nothing* (ie. throw away
                  money) then you may as well buy one. I have seen 2 guys actually
                  kiturfing with WaterFoils, everybody else just swears at them. I
                  suspect it is mostly lack of experience.

                  If you're a foil fan then buy a Boom Vector or the Flysurfer of your
                  choice. Both of these brands are super stable and have good trimming
                  systems (that means lots of range)

                  You could go for an Arc but I prefer the foils myself.

                  Alternatively you can't go wrong with a 4-line inflatable (except for
                  some materials problems with some of them).

                  Greg
                • domsports
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
                    Hi Kitesurfers
                    We are all entitled to our own opinions. But maybe some fact or
                    skill to back it up would be nice.
                    I personally don't think Waterfoils are the BEST kite for
                    kitesailing. However, they work fine, relaunch faster than anything,
                    and easily too. I have kited in the water for 80+ days, can stay
                    upwind when powered, jibe about 99% including kite under jibes, can
                    jump up to 12', and ride wakeboards and different sized directionals.
                    Don't let any beginner tell you this kite or that kite works or not
                    work. I even have good windsurfing friends tell me that thier kites
                    are no good, only to see a better rider out and really doing hi
                    performance moves. It's NOT solely the kite. It's in the hands of the
                    rider. My good windsurfing friend switched from a foil to a Wip and
                    says he is levels higher in ability. I see him out there doing the
                    same thing, but he has more days now and can stay upwind and almost
                    jibe. Well, maybe he couldn't with the foil, but he switched kites on
                    his 10th day overall. How can he make the decision that the foil was
                    no good. By the way, I have used his old kite and it works fine.
                    So, the rider ability determines how well we kite. You can learn on
                    any of the availible kites. Sure, some have limitations, but none are
                    perfect yet. .. that's my two cents worth.. LeeD

                    In kitesurf@y..., "jatsalos" <jatsalos@h...> wrote:
                    > I started kitesurfing with a c-quad, You need to put some flotation
                    > device on the kite, or it will sink. I then bought a water foil, I
                    only
                    > used it a few times and I decided to buy an inflatable. I am much
                    > happier with the inflatable. I have been told that the 3 m water
                    > foils are a much better kite that the 6m.
                    >

                    > John
                    >

                    > --- In kitesurf@y..., "space31uk" <space31@a...> wrote:
                    > > I kitebuggy using foils and c-quads . I want to start kitesurfing
                    > but
                    > > have been told that the c-quads are unsuitable .I am
                    > cosidering using
                    > > waterfoils,symphony quads,secondhand arcs,free-airs or
                    > maybe even a
                    > > new flysurfer maniac . There`s all these choices and im lost
                    > with
                    > > which one to go for. Waterfoils are extremely cheap
                    > secondhand which
                    > > may be a deciding factor although the maniac sounds well
                    > worth the
                    > > money . Any advice you could give me will be much
                    > appreciated as i
                    > > have no experience with any of the kites mentioned .
                  • Kitepower
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
                      G'day Lee
                      Your post reminds me of the old saying "A poor tradesman always blames his
                      tools" !! :-)
                      I agree with everything you say about waterfoils, except the relaunching
                      bit, it depends on how they hit the water. I have only had 2 major swimming
                      sessions after downing un -relaunchable water re-launching kites! One was on
                      the first auto luffing 3.6 Waterfoil I owned, the other was on a xxl
                      Quadrifoil kitesurfer foil. I do not recommend either to beginners.
                      I prefer not to sell them, but I know they do work OK, you just have to be
                      prepared to put up with narrow wind range, luffing, hard to land, limited
                      re-launching, etc.
                      I think the latest gen of inflatables and foils are getting as close to
                      perfect as I can imagine a good kiteboarding kite to be at the moment, IMO.

                      Cya and
                      Goodwinds
                      Steve McCormack
                      http://www.kitepower.com.au
                      mailto:sydney@...
                      Open 7 days
                      126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
                      Phone +61293157894