Airush Kites

  • karinefr2000
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 18, 2002
      Guys-

      has anybody tried the Airsuh 9.4 LIFT? How does it fly? How would it
      compare to a North or an Aero?

      Thanks

      _marc
    • callum_downie
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 18, 2002
        Hi,

        Firstly it's a different kite to a North Rhino or Naish Aero. The
        Rhino/Aero are lower aspect ratio. Basicly this means the Airush
        Flies a little faster - some people like that some people don't.
        In terms of size it is roughly a 12 Rhino.

        I have a 9.4 and I love it! I love everything about it, except the
        bag it came in, though I believe this has changed! Extremely well
        made kites and extremely good performance. There is a reason it is
        called "Lift". Basicly that is what it does very well. Don't know how
        to explain it but it seams to lift more than other kites. A friend of
        mine rode an 8.4 airblast (was known as being an extremely good
        jumping kite) he rode a 9.4 Lift and said the airblast wasn't even in
        the same ballpark. The Lift has good bar presure if you like riding
        in the chicken loop, not to much on the rear lines, so you can ride a
        long time without getting tired arms.

        I love my lift! Though if you'd prefure a slightly slower kite
        perhaps a rhino/aero would be better for you.

        Cheers
        Callum

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "karinefr2000" <karinefr2000@y...> wrote:
        > Guys-
        >
        > has anybody tried the Airsuh 9.4 LIFT? How does it fly? How would
        it
        > compare to a North or an Aero?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > _marc
      • kitesicko
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 19, 2002
          I'D pretty much like to echo Callums words about the 9.4 Lift. I
          rode mine for the last two days in the surf in cross onshore
          conditions varying from 12 kots to around 20 knots. at the low end
          of the range I had to sine the kite to keep going but at all other
          times I was comfortably powered.

          The speed at which the Lift turns and flies is astounding permitting
          snap gybes only 3-4 metres before hitting the oncoming wave. By the
          time my board turned to face the new direction, the kite was already
          way ahead of me and producing power when and where I needed it. The
          9.4 boosts like a madman and I can think of no better kite for surf
          sailing.

          The North is very similar but not as fast and seems to have a lower
          wind range ie it gets going a little earlier and gets overpowered
          earlier also. I make this assessment with my friend riding a 12.0
          Rhino being overpowered in the same wind in which I am comfortable
          on my Lift. The North and the Airush are almost the same in size and
          plan shape as we laid them out on top of each other for comparison.
          There is an inch here or an inch there but that would be all.

          Like Callum says, if you can handle a fast kite, go the Airush but if
          you want something a little slower and more forgiving, get a Rhino or
          Aero.

          Cheers,

          Darren Marshall
          Australian Kiteboarding School

          --- In kitesurf@y..., "callum_downie" <callum@d...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > Firstly it's a different kite to a North Rhino or Naish Aero. The
          > Rhino/Aero are lower aspect ratio. Basicly this means the Airush
          > Flies a little faster - some people like that some people don't.
          > In terms of size it is roughly a 12 Rhino.
          >
          > I have a 9.4 and I love it! I love everything about it, except the
          > bag it came in, though I believe this has changed! Extremely well
          > made kites and extremely good performance. There is a reason it is
          > called "Lift". Basicly that is what it does very well. Don't know
          how
          > to explain it but it seams to lift more than other kites. A friend
          of
          > mine rode an 8.4 airblast (was known as being an extremely good
          > jumping kite) he rode a 9.4 Lift and said the airblast wasn't even
          in
          > the same ballpark. The Lift has good bar presure if you like
          riding
          > in the chicken loop, not to much on the rear lines, so you can ride
          > long time without getting tired arms.
          >
          > I love my lift! Though if you'd prefure a slightly slower kite
          > perhaps a rhino/aero would be better for you.
          >
          > Cheers
          > Callum
          >

          > --- In kitesurf@y..., "karinefr2000" <karinefr2000@y...> wrote:
          > > Guys-
          > >
          > > has anybody tried the Airsuh 9.4 LIFT? How does it fly? How would
          > it
          > > compare to a North or an Aero?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > _marc
        • willempuk
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
            Hi there,

            Last year I was using an airblast 8.4 + 11.8. The 8.4 I sold in
            september. Now I'm thinking about buying another kite for the upper
            range (higher winds).

            I thought that the 8.4 had too much of it's range in common with the
            11.8. I can remember surfing with my 11.8 all day, when a friend was
            using my old 8.4. Both having fun.

            Do you think it's possible to combine a lift 7.4 (range 17-32 knots)
            with the airblast(2001) 11.8?

            Thanks for answering!
            BlueSky

          • peter_frank_dk
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
              This is funny - because a few days ago (tuesday) someone asked
              whether he could find a kite to fit between the 8.4 and 11.8 (look at
              post 48549 and 48606), because he thinks the gap is too big !

              But like I said - I also think they overlap quite often (and still
              feels very different in size).
              The 2000 kites (all brands) did not overlap, even with much smaller
              size gap - so we've come a huuuuge way regarding windrange on newer
              kites ! Great.

              But people are apparently very different in "sizing" respects.

              Some wants kites that can take over when one is too big/small - and
              others wants to pick one size that seems to fit for the day (and they
              would like for that very day), and then "just use it" all day.

              It is a question about the thickness of your wallet too, of course !

              But even if you had the chance/money to choose in small steps - not
              everyone would do it, because it is much easier to have a small
              quiver that you know by heart !

              :-) Peter

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
                Hey there Blue Sky,

                I have a friend who has tried to do the same thing as you are
                trying. To run a quiver of two kites covering a 25 knot wind range.
                Matt had only an 11.8 AB and a 6.3 AB. In the light to moderate
                winds Matt was fine on the 11.8 and when it was nukin he was fine on
                the 6.3, but quite often the wind would be around 20 odd knots and he
                would be undercooked on his 6.3 and getting completely spanked on the
                11.8.

                The ranges of the 11.8 and the Lift 7.4, although over lapping by a
                couple of knots are too far apart from each other. You would
                essentially have to wait until you are violently teabagging to
                changing down and working the lell out of the smaller kite and not
                jumping.

                To be really comfortable from 10 to 35 knots, you need a quiver of 3
                kites. The 9.4 Airush Lift is the perfect fit for the middle of the
                range and it works from around 12 knots to 25 knots, which falls
                perfectly in the middle. If you want to boost really big, then the
                9.4 is the kite for you.

                I would love to say you could hold this wind range with only two
                kites, and you can, but you aint gonna enjoy it. Matt wouldn't enjoy
                the fact that we were all out boosting comfortably in 20 -22 knots
                and he would still be sining to keep upwind. On a lighter side, it
                certainly made his kite choice easy ;-)

                Hope this helps,

                Darren Marshall
                http://www.australiankiteboardingschool.com

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
                  I agree Darren !

                  And if someone has a tight budget - it would be better to choose the
                  two biggest kites, or the two smallest - but with the "right"
                  distance.

                  Then you could always get the missing size later...

                  If you choose two kites too far from each other - you might end up
                  selling one, or both - to obtain a well balanced quiver.

                  So an Airrush 9.4 or Airblast 8.4 would complement the 11.8

                  :-) Peter