[ksurf] Re: Releasing 4- line handles

  • David Raue
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 2, 1999
      Fritz,

      Seems like you may have misunderstood what I was saying. I NEVER let go of
      the handles and allow the kite to just sail off, on land OR on water. And I
      NEVER fly kites so big for the conditions that the handles get ripped out of
      my grip. If you can't control the kite, you're a menace to yourself and
      everyone around you, pure and simple.

      Anyway, the point is avoiding being involuntarily attached to the loop
      without the ability to get free. I've been bodydragged a lot, on purpose
      and by accident, and it seems like when the pulley is down it's easier to
      get the loop snagged around the spreader bar, making it impossible to
      control the kite (which obviously does crash at some point). However, with
      the pulley up, most of the time I'm able to pull the loop off in the split
      second BEFORE the fall and maintain control ot the kite. The result is NOT
      getting torpedoed or hoping to regain control at the edge, it's not losing
      control in the first place.

      Incidently, what kites are you flying? Since I'm flying non-relaunchable
      foils, control is the name of the game. Being dragged underwater by a Quad
      XXXL in 12 mph wind is not a benign experience, and one I don't soon want to
      repeat. Happy winds,

      Dave
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 2, 1999
        speleopowe-@... wrote:
        Just wanted to add. I've tried the reactor bar upside down myself and
        have found that the loop pops off to easily especially in the surf. I
        do have a XXXL and have flown it in 12 mph wind with 8+ foot surf. I'd
        rather not lose my kite then get tangled in the line or tangle another
        surfer in my line. I've been dragged by my XXXL both hooked in and
        unhooked. It was much better hooked in. Getting pulled through the
        water is tough enough but getting your arms stretched out is less
        appealing than holding my breath for a couple of seconds. Sometimes I
        do a little soul surfing with my both hands behind my head cruising on
        a wave and would rather not have the embarassement and hassle of my
        handles popping off while some cuties are watching on the beach. I
        thought it would be better witht he bar upside down. It worked until I
        got comfortable kitesurfing and figured out what works for me in the
        conditions I usually flysurf in. keep at it and dont give up. Use
        what ever method works for you! Above all have fun and look good while
        doing it! ;-)
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=4757

      • Steve Bateman
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 2, 1999
          I usually have a (as Todd calls it) a Death Grip on the handles.
          But this is very hard on the tendons and in cold conditions can
          numb the fingers (at least on the dry lake bed it does). So it
          is nice to relax a bit when harnessed in. But odd things can happen;
          that odd wave or chop, harness lines can break (it happened..),
          fish or other animals can scare you (maybe it's just me).

          Has anyone tied a single line from one of the brake lines (quad line
          kite) to a wrist leash? It would have to be a significant distance
          away from the handles so that if the handles are dropped, one brake
          line is fully applied (no top line tension at all). And this is
          going to depend on the chrord (width) of the kite. Of course
          the kite is going to spin wildly, but no handles flying and no
          kite to swim after.

          --
          Steve Bateman geokite at sprintmail dot com
          The best health info is at http://www.healthcentral.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 2, 1999
            speleopowe-@... wrote: The main concern is two fold the first
            concern is, increased drag causing your brakes to be applied from the
            excess weight of the wrist line, the second and probably more
            compelling reason to not attach a wrist leash line is that of breaking
            the line. Since most brake lines are at least half as strong as the
            main lines if not weaker they would tend to break very easily. If you
            used stronger hence heavier brake lines the increased drag would apply
            the brakes just due to wind drag. Thouh give it a try and let us know
            how it works because I've not tried putting a leash on my brake lines.
            When I first started using foils on the water I thought it would be to
            my advantage to have a wrist leash with a line to one or both brakes.
            I thought a release system on the foils was the only way to do things
            mostly because I started kitesurfing using a Wipika (you have to have a
            leash). Before the wipika I never tried kitesurfing because I figured
            everytime I crashed in the water the kite would soon follow. However,
            after watching lots of people and trying it myself the fear of
            losing/crashing my kite is now almost gone. I've only dumped the kite
            in the water 4-5 times in nearly a year of kitesurfing. And of those
            times I was trying some weird surfing move on a wave or getting my
            board tossed between the lines by the whitewater. Since I fly
            non-waterrelaunchable kites I do stay within a reasonable swimming
            distance of the shore (when in the ocean) or an island (when in the
            lagoon).
            With practice you should develop your grip strength and technique to
            the point that losing your kite will not cross your mind while surfing.
            I've also found that the simpler your kitesurfing gear the better.
            There is already to many things to go wrong to add more parts to get
            broken or tangled! Have fun and surf hard. ONe more tip: Only grip
            the handles with your fingers not your hands, that is do not grab the
            handles so that the main line is touching the skin in the V between
            your index finger and middle finger. I hold the handles so that the
            main line is between the 2nd and 3rd knukle of my finger. I do not get
            blisters or sores from the line rubbing.

            original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=4759
            > I usually have a (as Todd calls it) a Death Grip on the handles.
            > But this is very hard on the tendons and in cold conditions can
            > numb the fingers (at least on the dry lake bed it does). So it
            > is nice to relax a bit when harnessed in. But odd things can happen;
            > that odd wave or chop, harness lines can break (it happened..),
            > fish or other animals can scare you (maybe it's just me).
            >
            > Has anyone tied a single line from one of the brake lines (quad line
            > kite) to a wrist leash? It would have to be a significant distance
            > away from the handles so that if the handles are dropped, one brake
            > line is fully applied (no top line tension at all). And this is
            > going to depend on the chrord (width) of the kite. Of course
            > the kite is going to spin wildly, but no handles flying and no
            > kite to swim after.
            >
            > fritz@... wrote:
            >
            > > Things are alot different on the water than they are on land.
            Besided
            > > being dangerous releasing your kite and handles on the water is also
            > > likely to be a big mess. From my experience (with PL quick release
            > > handles) a released kite usually travels a horizonatal distance 1-2
            > > times your line length before hitting the ground or water and it
            > > usually gets a little tangled. On land it is not much of a
            problem to
            > > walk or run after a released kite untangle it and relaunch. On the
            > > water first you will have to swim after your kite. If it is windy
            you
            > > may not be able to swim fast enough to catch your kite as it gets
            blown
            > > down wind on the water. When/if you get to your kite, even if
            it's
            > > water relaunchable there is a good chance you will not be able to
            > > untangle it.
            >
            > --
            > Steve Bateman geokite at sprintmail dot com
            > The best health info is at http://www.healthcentral.com
          • Ronald Kittag
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 3, 1999
              > Has anyone tied a single line from one of the brake lines (quad line
              > kite) to a wrist leash?

              I have. But to both brake-lines. The connection looks like a Y. It totally
              depowers the kite, without making it spin like crazy.But there's a potential
              to get tangled with your feet or board. You could reduce the risk by using
              rubberbands to hold it near the line where you have the leash on. But then
              you can't ride nohanded.
              By the way, I don't use it anymore.
              Ronald
            • Peter A. Traykovski
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 3, 1999
                > Has anyone tied a single line from one of the brake lines (quad line
                > kite) to a wrist leash? It would have to be a significant distance
                > away from the handles so that if the handles are dropped, one brake
                > line is fully applied (no top line tension at all). And this is
                > going to depend on the chrord (width) of the kite. Of course
                > the kite is going to spin wildly, but no handles flying and no
                > kite to swim after.

                I use lines from a wrist leash to both brake lines. It is fastened at the
                end of the leaders about 8" away from the handles. This way if the handles do
                get ripped out of my hands in a wipe out both brakes will be applied evenly,
                the kite fill simply fall down and not spin wildly. It works pretty well. The
                only issue is that it is one more line to tangle, but the benefits seem worth
                it especially if a I am a bit overpowered. Make sure to have enough slack in
                these lines to not tension the wrong brake line when turning the kite. I
                also use a quick release between the wrist leash and the lines in case a
                motor boat or something gets my lines and I have to release from it.

                -Peter
              • Cory Roeseler
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 3, 1999
                  >If you can't handle torpedoing through the water get a saftey release
                  >system that will depower or release your kite without sending your
                  >handles flying down wind. Releasing handles has the potential to cause
                  >serious injury to people down wind and should be avoided.

                  I agree 100%

                  Cory
                • Felix Pantlen
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 3, 1999
                    Hi,

                    I am looking for spots in NL to go kiting and kitesurifing.

                    Any good tips?

                    Regards,
                    Felix
                  • fritz@kepnet.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 3, 1999
                      > Fritz,
                      >
                      > Seems like you may have misunderstood what I was saying. I NEVER let
                      go of
                      > the handles and allow the kite to just sail off, on land OR on water.
                      And I
                      > NEVER fly kites so big for the conditions that the handles get ripped
                      out of
                      > my grip. If you can't control the kite, you're a menace to yourself
                      and
                      > everyone around you, pure and simple.
                      Yes I did misunderstand unhooking a harness line and letting go of your
                      handles are two entirely different things.

                      > Anyway, the point is avoiding being involuntarily attached to the loop
                      > without the ability to get free. I've been bodydragged a lot, on
                      purpose
                      > and by accident, and it seems like when the pulley is down it's
                      easier to
                      > get the loop snagged around the spreader bar, making it impossible to
                      > control the kite (which obviously does crash at some point).
                      However, with

                      Do you have plastic tubbing on your harness line? I don't use a
                      reactor bar any more, I personally didn't like the loose control, but
                      remember similar problems and think using a harness line with plastic
                      tubing, similar to most windsurfing ones prevented it.

                      > the pulley up, most of the time I'm able to pull the loop off in the
                      split
                      > second BEFORE the fall and maintain control ot the kite. The result
                      is NOT
                      > getting torpedoed or hoping to regain control at the edge, it's not
                      losing
                      > control in the first place.
                      Except in light winds I prefer to be harnessed in and have no loss of
                      control of the kite. In light winds I like to be able to feel the kite
                      more.

                      Torpedoing is not something I do frequently but I do occasionally find
                      myself sailing very powered up after a sudden wind change. I can sail
                      under control in these situations but occasional have a very nasty wipe
                      out at speed which results in torpedoing. Usually when I wipe out my
                      head stays above the water and I just body drag until my kite gets to
                      the edge of the wind window. Occasionally I find my self underwater
                      torpedoing.

                      > Incidently, what kites are you flying? Since I'm flying
                      non-relaunchable
                      > foils, control is the name of the game. Being dragged underwater by
                      a Quad
                      > XXXL in 12 mph wind is not a benign experience, and one I don't soon
                      want to
                      > repeat. Happy winds,

                      I am flying the same kites and have had the same experience but didn't
                      think it was too bad, most recently I did it with an XL in wind gusting
                      over 30 mph. I usually use 75' lines which allow the kite to get to
                      the edge of the wind window faster than longer lines. Perhaps with
                      longer lines it is not so nice. I also have been power kiting for over
                      10 years and have had much worse experiences on land.

                      I know the game of control I also like to push my limits and don't
                      always fly in ideal wind conditions, so I occasionaly crash the kite.
                      Because I fly nonwater launchables I don't go out further than I want
                      to swim.

                      Latter-
                      Fritz

                    • Todd Snyder
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 3, 1999
                        hey Fritz !!!!!!!!!

                        You hear anything about quadrifoil coming out with a semi water launchable
                        kite?

                      • speleopower@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 3, 1999
                          speleopowe-@... wrote:
                          Yeah, is Quadrifoil releasing a water startable kite soon? I was
                          working at a kite store this spring and the Quadrifoil reps came
                          through talking up their water startable kites. We were going to get a
                          kitesurf school going when their kites came out. They said sometime
                          around the Wildwood Kite festival. Anyway the only thing that I got
                          after Wildwood was Peter Lynn C-Quads distributed by Quadrifoil. When
                          that happened I left the store because I really did not like the
                          C-Quads and I did not want to teach using those.
                          P.S. had 6 miles of downwind fun in 3-6 foot surf using my XXXL today.
                          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=4773

                        • David Raue
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 4, 1999
                            Seems like there has been lots of good discussion on the topic! Different
                            strokes for different folks. When I'm at the point of venturing in the surf
                            I'll probably flip it back around. By the way, speleopowe-, were you
                            kitesurfing in the 8+ ft surf with the XXXL? If you were, you're a batter
                            man than I. But I have bodydragged/surfed in the same conditions, right
                            through similar waves. Unhooked of course. And I agree, anybody flying
                            with handles ought to develop a death-grip (rock-climbing will do the trick,
                            I've found, and there's nothing else that comes close for ape-like forearm
                            and finger strength).

                            Here's a final point of contraversy - if you're dragged by just hanging onto
                            the handles, you're not putting any stress on your back, it's basically the
                            same geometry as hanging from a branch (with weights on). Dragging hooked
                            in puts all the force at your midsection, or where ever the fulcrum from the
                            harness across your body happens to be. Fox Hatteras recommends the deKine
                            Thermoform harness for this reason, it's placed pretty high up compared to a
                            seat harness. At my advanced age of 46 I'm not willing to subject my back
                            the the stuff I used to.

                            Dave
                            > Just wanted to add. I've tried the reactor bar upside down myself and
                            > have found that the loop pops off to easily especially in the surf. I
                            > do have a XXXL and have flown it in 12 mph wind with 8+ foot surf. I'd
                            > rather not lose my kite then get tangled in the line or tangle another
                            > surfer in my line. I've been dragged by my XXXL both hooked in and
                            > unhooked. It was much better hooked in. Getting pulled through the
                            > water is tough enough but getting your arms stretched out is less
                            > appealing than holding my breath for a couple of seconds. Sometimes I
                            > do a little soul surfing with my both hands behind my head cruising on
                            > a wave and would rather not have the embarassement and hassle of my
                            > handles popping off while some cuties are watching on the beach. I
                            > thought it would be better witht he bar upside down. It worked until I
                            > got comfortable kitesurfing and figured out what works for me in the
                            > conditions I usually flysurf in. keep at it and dont give up. Use
                            > what ever method works for you! Above all have fun and look good while
                            > doing it! ;-)
                            > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=4757
                            > > Fritz,
                            > >
                            > > Seems like you may have misunderstood what I was saying. I NEVER let
                            > go of
                            > > the handles and allow the kite to just sail off, on land OR on water.
                            > And I
                            > > NEVER fly kites so big for the conditions that the handles get ripped
                            > out of
                            > > my grip. If you can't control the kite, you're a menace to yourself
                            > and
                            > > everyone around you, pure and simple.
                            > >
                            > > Anyway, the point is avoiding being involuntarily attached to the loop
                            > > without the ability to get free. I've been bodydragged a lot, on
                            > purpose
                            > > and by accident, and it seems like when the pulley is down it's
                            > easier to
                            > > get the loop snagged around the spreader bar, making it impossible to
                            > > control the kite (which obviously does crash at some point).
                            > However, with
                            > > the pulley up, most of the time I'm able to pull the loop off in the
                            > split
                            > > second BEFORE the fall and maintain control ot the kite. The result
                            > is NOT
                            > > getting torpedoed or hoping to regain control at the edge, it's not
                            > losing
                            > > control in the first place.
                            > >
                            > > Incidently, what kites are you flying? Since I'm flying
                            > non-relaunchable
                            > > foils, control is the name of the game. Being dragged underwater by
                            > a Quad
                            > > XXXL in 12 mph wind is not a benign experience, and one I don't soon
                            > want to
                            > > repeat. Happy winds,
                            > >
                            > > Dave

                          • David Raue
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 4, 1999
                              Hi Fritz,
                              Thanks for the comments, sounds like I pretty much share your views. I
                              don't torpedo much either, and usually my head is out of the water. But I
                              DID have a very scary experience with an XXXL (150 foot lines!!) in a strong
                              gust (don't know how strong), where I was completely submerged and the water
                              pressure was so high I could scarcely keep my mouth sealed. I'm talking
                              about struggling to keep a firehose from being jammed down my throat. You
                              can always imagine something a little worse occuring, so I've adopted a more
                              conservative view.

                              dave
> [...]
                              > > foils, control is the name of the game. Being dragged underwater by
                              > a Quad
                              > > XXXL in 12 mph wind is not a benign experience, and one I don't soon
                              > want to
                              > > repeat. Happy winds,
                              > >
                              > I am flying the same kites and have had the same experience but didn't
                              > think it was too bad, most recently I did it with an XL in wind gusting
                              > over 30 mph. I usually use 75' lines which allow the kite to get to
                              > the edge of the wind window faster than longer lines. Perhaps with
                              > longer lines it is not so nice. I also have been power kiting for over
                              > 10 years and have had much worse experiences on land.
                              >
                              > I know the game of control I also like to push my limits and don't
                              > always fly in ideal wind conditions, so I occasionaly crash the kite.
                              > Because I fly nonwater launchables I don't go out further than I want

                            • Frank Kubin
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 7, 1999
                                Hello Dave,

                                Glad to know there are other 'advanced age' kitesurfers out there. Turning
                                45 soon myself. I've been doing this for about two years now with WIPIKA and
                                Fone board. Just starting to try other kites, ATK650 & Cquad. I've been
                                using a dakine chest harness lately, even for getting started. The high hook
                                keeps the bar at a better position for me. So far I've just been going in a
                                sheltered bay but am looking to start out on the surf.

                                Frank, NYC

                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 7, 1999
                                  Hi Frank,
                                  Drat, you discovered kitesurfing 2 years before me, giving you that much
                                  more fun! I really just started kitesurfing this summer after a long winter
                                  of wondering if I could really do it. The conclusion is YES, as I guess
                                  you've found out too. Interesting that you've fixed on the high hook
                                  position too. Finally, your signature suggests that you're in the City
                                  (there's only one). Do you kitesurf in the metro area anywhere, e.g, Jersey
                                  shore or LI? I'm up in northern Westchester and on the lookout for choice
                                  sites without driving for hours. Tips appreciated, maybe we could hook up
                                  sometime - I need all the tips I can get (and I've got many choice kites,
                                  none of which is water relaunchable!)