[ksurf] Re: 4 line handles vs 4 line bar

  • Lee Sedgwick
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 2, 1999
      The Reactor is the way to go ...They did make 3 types of spools..Wave. Reg
      and Surf...I think I might turn mine upside down...Good idea...Lee
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 2, 1999
        Hi David

        Wait until your a couple of miles out away from the beach and your handles pop
        off. Unless you have a reliable waterstating kite have a happy swim .......oh ya
        watch out for those guys in the gray suits too..... hahaha. I use a control bar
        and wear my harness hook down. I had it pop out one time cause, I hit some funky
        chop while steering and out it came and had to swim cause the damn quickrelease
        which disconnects one line completely. Got rid of that damn thing.

      • fritz@kepnet.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 2, 1999
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=4746
          > On a couple occassions it has popped out, but I've always had my
          hands on
          > the handles, so it hasn't gotten away from me. I guess I'd rather
          have the
          > kite pop off when it should be on than stay on when it should be off.
          > What's the worst that can happen if it pops off? You fall. It has
          never
          > been a problem buggying cause you're either hooked in under tension
          when
          > you're just running OR you're holding the handles while turning (which
          > creates less pull anyway). As a kitesurf newbie I'm not sure which
          is best,
          > but I'll err on the side of "easy release" until I get more
          experience.

          > Dave
          I disagree, I think it is much safer to have the roller turned down.
          Releasing the handles is dangerous and should be avoided. On the water
          an over powering kite does not present the same dangerous as it does on
          land. Being lifted and dropped on land is much worse than on water.

          Provided there is nothing too close down wind (you should always keep
          an open space downwind of you) I see no harm in torpedoing, being body
          dragged under water. You will stop when the kite crashes or be able to
          regain control when it gets to the edge of the wind window. If you
          release your handles they will fly down wind and create a much larger
          threat to bystanders than your uncontrolled body dragging does. I
          prefer to put the saftey of others ahead of myself. Released handles
          are a danger that must be avoided. Besides water is soft and you can
          hold your breath for a longer than you think. Being dragged under
          water can be a little scarey but the worst under water body drags I've
          had kitesurfing are no worse than getting worked by an overhead wave.

          Things are alot different on the water than they are on land. Besided
          being dangerous releasing your kite and handles on the water is also
          likely to be a big mess. From my experience (with PL quick release
          handles) a released kite usually travels a horizonatal distance 1-2
          times your line length before hitting the ground or water and it
          usually gets a little tangled. On land it is not much of a problem to
          walk or run after a released kite untangle it and relaunch. On the
          water first you will have to swim after your kite. If it is windy you
          may not be able to swim fast enough to catch your kite as it gets blown
          down wind on the water. When/if you get to your kite, even if it's
          water relaunchable there is a good chance you will not be able to
          untangle it.

          If you can't handle torpedoing through the water get a saftey release
          system that will depower or release your kite without sending your
          handles flying down wind. Releasing handles has the potential to cause
          serious injury to people down wind and should be avoided.

        • David Raue
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 2, 1999
            I look forward to the day I can think about being 2 miles offshore with a
            water relaunchable kite. Fact is, my kite bag is a serious collection of
            non-relaunchable foils, and my abilities preclude getting that far out (for
            the time being). Doubtless the time will come for relaunchable kites, till
            then I'll keep the pulley where it is. Actually, the only times it has
            popped of is during the start, not underway.

            Dave