[ksurf] Re: 4 line handles vs 4 line bar

  • jquick1@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 1, 1999
      Ya, it is really tuff to unhook during an overpower in the water. I
      got dragged atleast 30 yards halfway submerged with an 8.5 C Quad when
      I wiped out. Its a good way to get in shape quickly, as you need
      gorilla strength to push against oncoming water.

      But with the hook roller turned up, it seems that the kite could get
      away with a quick pop...sounds even more dangerous to me! How do you
      avoid this?

      Jeff

      jquick-@... wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=4732
      > A comment on the reactor bar and handle loops: I've used a Reactor
      bar for
      > a long time buggying, but with the pulley "upside down" i.e.,
      pointing up.
      > That way if you get in trouble it isn't too hard to yank the loop up
      off the
      > pulley to get free. In early kitesurfing attempts I tried the bar
      the way
      > Windsurfers use it, namely pulley pointed down (with DeKine Thermoform
      > harness). Big mistake! I got overpowered a couple times in gusts
      and got
      > bodydragged half submerged. I was scared shitless for longer a few
      seconds.
      > If you're really overpowered the loop is far harder to get free than
      when
      > upside down. I turned the bar back the "wrong" way and haven't had
      problems
      > since.
      >
      > As for loop line length, the right length will depend a lot on how
      much
      > slack there is in the spreader bar. I try to get it as tight as I
      can and
      > use the biggest loop possible so there's more arm movement available
      > (especially key for very big kites).
      >
      > Dave

      You
      > > can
      > > > steer with one hand no problem. Handles seem to be a better
      choice
      > > > than a bar because they are thinner and the pull is more
      anatomically
      > > > correct. Do you hold your index finger above the top line? If
      you do
      > > > this the pull will be straight through your arm. You might also
      need
      > > > shorter harness line. I use about a 18 inch line. If I use to
      long
      > > of
      > > > a harness line you may have trouble reaching other handle when
      you do
      > > > full out turn. You can jump hooked in or not hooked in do the
      rail
      > > > grabs and loops and all that other stuff with handles.
      > > > It takes lots of practice but well worth it. Handles give much
      more
      > > > control than a bar on your C-Quad. I used to have 2 C-Quads
      myself.
      > > > good luck and keep practicing.
      > > >
      > > > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=4701
      > > up

      > > rail
      > > seem

    • David Raue
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 1, 1999
        On a couple occassions it has popped out, but I've always had my hands on
        the handles, so it hasn't gotten away from me. I guess I'd rather have the
        kite pop off when it should be on than stay on when it should be off.
        What's the worst that can happen if it pops off? You fall. It has never
        been a problem buggying cause you're either hooked in under tension when
        you're just running OR you're holding the handles while turning (which
        creates less pull anyway). As a kitesurf newbie I'm not sure which is best,
        but I'll err on the side of "easy release" until I get more experience.

        Dave
        > Ya, it is really tuff to unhook during an overpower in the water. I
        > got dragged atleast 30 yards halfway submerged with an 8.5 C Quad when
        > I wiped out. Its a good way to get in shape quickly, as you need
        > gorilla strength to push against oncoming water.
        >
        > But with the hook roller turned up, it seems that the kite could get
        > away with a quick pop...sounds even more dangerous to me! How do you
        > avoid this?
        >
        > Jeff
        >

        > jquick-@... wrote:
        > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=4732
        > > A comment on the reactor bar and handle loops: I've used a Reactor
        > bar for
        > > a long time buggying, but with the pulley "upside down" i.e.,
        > pointing up.
        > > That way if you get in trouble it isn't too hard to yank the loop up
        > off the
        > > pulley to get free. In early kitesurfing attempts I tried the bar
        > the way
        > > Windsurfers use it, namely pulley pointed down (with DeKine Thermoform
        > > harness). Big mistake! I got overpowered a couple times in gusts
        > and got
        > > bodydragged half submerged. I was scared shitless for longer a few
        > seconds.
        > > If you're really overpowered the loop is far harder to get free than
        > when
        > > upside down. I turned the bar back the "wrong" way and haven't had
        > problems
        > > since.
        > >
        > > As for loop line length, the right length will depend a lot on how
        > much
        > > slack there is in the spreader bar. I try to get it as tight as I
        > can and
        > > use the biggest loop possible so there's more arm movement available
        > > (especially key for very big kites).
        > >
        > > Dave

      • Lee Sedgwick
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 2, 1999
          The Reactor is the way to go ...They did make 3 types of spools..Wave. Reg
          and Surf...I think I might turn mine upside down...Good idea...Lee
          >On a couple occassions it has popped out, but I've always had my hands on
          >the handles, so it hasn't gotten away from me. I guess I'd rather have the
          >kite pop off when it should be on than stay on when it should be off.
          >What's the worst that can happen if it pops off? You fall. It has never
          >been a problem buggying cause you're either hooked in under tension when
          >you're just running OR you're holding the handles while turning (which
          >creates less pull anyway). As a kitesurf newbie I'm not sure which is
          best,
          >but I'll err on the side of "easy release" until I get more experience.
          >
          >Dave

        • Todd Snyder
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 2, 1999
            Hi David

            Wait until your a couple of miles out away from the beach and your handles pop
            off. Unless you have a reliable waterstating kite have a happy swim .......oh ya
            watch out for those guys in the gray suits too..... hahaha. I use a control bar
            and wear my harness hook down. I had it pop out one time cause, I hit some funky
            chop while steering and out it came and had to swim cause the damn quickrelease
            which disconnects one line completely. Got rid of that damn thing.

          • fritz@kepnet.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 2, 1999
              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=4746
              > On a couple occassions it has popped out, but I've always had my
              hands on
              > the handles, so it hasn't gotten away from me. I guess I'd rather
              have the
              > kite pop off when it should be on than stay on when it should be off.
              > What's the worst that can happen if it pops off? You fall. It has
              never
              > been a problem buggying cause you're either hooked in under tension
              when
              > you're just running OR you're holding the handles while turning (which
              > creates less pull anyway). As a kitesurf newbie I'm not sure which
              is best,
              > but I'll err on the side of "easy release" until I get more
              experience.

              > Dave
              I disagree, I think it is much safer to have the roller turned down.
              Releasing the handles is dangerous and should be avoided. On the water
              an over powering kite does not present the same dangerous as it does on
              land. Being lifted and dropped on land is much worse than on water.

              Provided there is nothing too close down wind (you should always keep
              an open space downwind of you) I see no harm in torpedoing, being body
              dragged under water. You will stop when the kite crashes or be able to
              regain control when it gets to the edge of the wind window. If you
              release your handles they will fly down wind and create a much larger
              threat to bystanders than your uncontrolled body dragging does. I
              prefer to put the saftey of others ahead of myself. Released handles
              are a danger that must be avoided. Besides water is soft and you can
              hold your breath for a longer than you think. Being dragged under
              water can be a little scarey but the worst under water body drags I've
              had kitesurfing are no worse than getting worked by an overhead wave.

              Things are alot different on the water than they are on land. Besided
              being dangerous releasing your kite and handles on the water is also
              likely to be a big mess. From my experience (with PL quick release
              handles) a released kite usually travels a horizonatal distance 1-2
              times your line length before hitting the ground or water and it
              usually gets a little tangled. On land it is not much of a problem to
              walk or run after a released kite untangle it and relaunch. On the
              water first you will have to swim after your kite. If it is windy you
              may not be able to swim fast enough to catch your kite as it gets blown
              down wind on the water. When/if you get to your kite, even if it's
              water relaunchable there is a good chance you will not be able to
              untangle it.

              If you can't handle torpedoing through the water get a saftey release
              system that will depower or release your kite without sending your
              handles flying down wind. Releasing handles has the potential to cause
              serious injury to people down wind and should be avoided.

            • David Raue
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 2, 1999
                I look forward to the day I can think about being 2 miles offshore with a
                water relaunchable kite. Fact is, my kite bag is a serious collection of
                non-relaunchable foils, and my abilities preclude getting that far out (for
                the time being). Doubtless the time will come for relaunchable kites, till
                then I'll keep the pulley where it is. Actually, the only times it has
                popped of is during the start, not underway.

                Dave