[ksurf] Re: Lake Isabella

  • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 1999
      In a message dated 8/30/99 4:45:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      jquick1@... writes:
      << I am also considering a trek up to Isabella. I have a 6.3 C Quad and
      an 8.5 C Quad. I am just not sure if it would be a friendly kite
      launching lake. >>
      Although I haven't Kitesurfed Izzy yet, I can tell you that it can have a 15
      to 20 mph wind range during the day - I have windsurfed their since '79, when
      we were ticketed for windsurfing on the lake-Breaking The Law.(!)
      I saw a beginner try to launch last Spring, a 5 meter Wipika in 20-30 mph
      winds (wrong!) and it just blew out of his hands,. But I think a 5.0 to 6.5
      would be a good bet in general. Wind blows over the auxiliary dam area from
      the South, ranging usually between 12-28 mph, some days are more consistent
      than others.
      You can see the wind gusts (or lulls) coming over your shoulder. So at least
      you can adjust your self if you pay attention.
      Launching areas can be tricky - I suggest if you use a 8.5 - 6.5 you may want
      to launch from a place called Boulder Gulch. Which is on the West Side of the
      lake near Hungry Gulch camp grounds. Not many windsurfers or jetskiers
      their.Good enough area to stretch out your lines.
      The Only other easy place you can stretch out your lines is up near the
      Auxilliary Dam, BUT you will be launching up wind from the Windsurfers -
      which is not fun for them or you. Most of the other spots have lots of Rocks
      and uneven beach obstacles(gullys,hills, bushes,etc) Also, try "The Ghetto"
      on the other side of the Boat Ramp on East Side through the parking lot - a
      little tricky, and windsurfers up wind. But beach enough to launch kite.
      Free Camping, just need a board sticker ($15-20?)
      Go to http://members.aol.com/CA2winsurf/Index.html and click on 5 Popular CA
      Windsurf Sites in Index area, for a map and more info.
      ALL LAKES IN THE WORLD WILL BE GUSTY. Ocean winds are far more steadier.
      This weekend is going to be a little cooler, and crowded with Labor Day
      people, BUT good winds expected.
      Scott
    • Steve Bateman
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 1999
        LA2WNDSRF@... wrote:

        > You can see the wind gusts (or lulls) coming over your shoulder. So at least
        > you can adjust your self if you pay attention.

        Can you elaborate on this?

        Thanks

        --
        Steve Bateman geokite at sprintmail dot com
        The best health info is at http://www.healthcentral.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 1999
          In a message dated 8/31/99 5:43:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          geokite@... writes:

          << You can see the wind gusts (or lulls) coming over your shoulder. So at
          least
          > you can adjust your self if you pay attention.
          Can you elaborate on this?
          Thanks >>
          Hi Steve-
          Darker water coming at you caused by wind gusts (stronger wind)versus shiny
          water with no gusts(lesser or no wind) on them. I'm sure you've seen the
          movement of wind over water before. Maybe its an experience thing. But you'll
          'see' the gusts coming or going as the case maybe. Otherwise, consider it an
          educational point for you to concentrate on, it will help you handle the
          'gusty wind' blews(sic)!
          Good luck!
          Scott