[ksurf] Re: Lake Isabella

  • jquick1@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 1999
      I am also considering a trek up to Isabella. I have a 6.3 C Quad and
      an 8.5 C Quad. I am just not sure if it would be a friendly kite
      launching lake.

      Jeff

      jquick-@... wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=4705

      > I live in Bakersfield and i was wondering if you go to Isabella often
      ? I'm
      > looking for a kite for that lake and I was thinking of a 6.3 c-quad
      would
      > that be right? and do you know anyone trying to sell their kite ? well
      > thanks and maybe i'll see you out on the lake my family has a 32 ft.
      kecth

    • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30, 1999
        In a message dated 8/30/99 4:45:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        jquick1@... writes:
        << I am also considering a trek up to Isabella. I have a 6.3 C Quad and
        an 8.5 C Quad. I am just not sure if it would be a friendly kite
        launching lake. >>
        Although I haven't Kitesurfed Izzy yet, I can tell you that it can have a 15
        to 20 mph wind range during the day - I have windsurfed their since '79, when
        we were ticketed for windsurfing on the lake-Breaking The Law.(!)
        I saw a beginner try to launch last Spring, a 5 meter Wipika in 20-30 mph
        winds (wrong!) and it just blew out of his hands,. But I think a 5.0 to 6.5
        would be a good bet in general. Wind blows over the auxiliary dam area from
        the South, ranging usually between 12-28 mph, some days are more consistent
        than others.
        You can see the wind gusts (or lulls) coming over your shoulder. So at least
        you can adjust your self if you pay attention.
        Launching areas can be tricky - I suggest if you use a 8.5 - 6.5 you may want
        to launch from a place called Boulder Gulch. Which is on the West Side of the
        lake near Hungry Gulch camp grounds. Not many windsurfers or jetskiers
        their.Good enough area to stretch out your lines.
        The Only other easy place you can stretch out your lines is up near the
        Auxilliary Dam, BUT you will be launching up wind from the Windsurfers -
        which is not fun for them or you. Most of the other spots have lots of Rocks
        and uneven beach obstacles(gullys,hills, bushes,etc) Also, try "The Ghetto"
        on the other side of the Boat Ramp on East Side through the parking lot - a
        little tricky, and windsurfers up wind. But beach enough to launch kite.
        Free Camping, just need a board sticker ($15-20?)
        Go to http://members.aol.com/CA2winsurf/Index.html and click on 5 Popular CA
        Windsurf Sites in Index area, for a map and more info.
        ALL LAKES IN THE WORLD WILL BE GUSTY. Ocean winds are far more steadier.
        This weekend is going to be a little cooler, and crowded with Labor Day
        people, BUT good winds expected.
        Scott
      • Steve Bateman
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 1999
          LA2WNDSRF@... wrote:

          > You can see the wind gusts (or lulls) coming over your shoulder. So at least
          > you can adjust your self if you pay attention.

          Can you elaborate on this?

          Thanks

          --
          Steve Bateman geokite at sprintmail dot com
          The best health info is at http://www.healthcentral.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 1999
            In a message dated 8/31/99 5:43:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            geokite@... writes:

            << You can see the wind gusts (or lulls) coming over your shoulder. So at
            least
            > you can adjust your self if you pay attention.
            Can you elaborate on this?
            Thanks >>
            Hi Steve-
            Darker water coming at you caused by wind gusts (stronger wind)versus shiny
            water with no gusts(lesser or no wind) on them. I'm sure you've seen the
            movement of wind over water before. Maybe its an experience thing. But you'll
            'see' the gusts coming or going as the case maybe. Otherwise, consider it an
            educational point for you to concentrate on, it will help you handle the
            'gusty wind' blews(sic)!
            Good luck!
            Scott