RE: [ksurf] Q for Steve and Kinsley

  • Kitepower
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2002
      North, because I am more familiar with them and prefer the extra stabilty
      and slighly slower flight speed.

      Cya and
      Goodwinds
      Steve McCormack
      http://www.kitepower.com.au
      mailto:sydney@...
      126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
      Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
      Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2002
        You know Leon, Kinsley?
        He blew it big time there were a dozen very experienced Sydney kiters with
        him up at Fingal bay a couple of weekends ago!

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2002
          Setting of lines has more to do with the position of your arms, so that you
          can ride comfortably for a long time.
          I put a screwdriver in the ground and adjust the position where all 4 are
          equal, so that when fully powered up I am comfortable. Most kites are fully
          powered when the lines are even. If they are not make adjustments at the
          beach after a short test flight.

          Cya and
          Goodwinds
          Steve McCormack
          http://www.kitepower.com.au
          mailto:sydney@...
          126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
          Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
          Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
          * How are you setting your lines on your 15.1 ? All four lines equal,
          * or I should leave the frontĀ“s lines bigger like on the naish kites?
          * Tomorrow is my first day with this kite :)
          *
          * cheers
          * FAbio
          *
          *
[...]
          * >
          * >
[...]
          * > >
          * > > Thanks,
          * > > Hudson
          * >
          * >
          * > Support your local kitesurf association !
          * >
          * >
          * > <<<to unsubscribe send a message to kitesurf-unsubscribe@e...>>>
          * >
          * > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          * http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          *
          *
          * Support your local kitesurf association !
          *
          *
          * <<<to unsubscribe send a message to kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>
          *
          * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          *
          *
        • sactear
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2002
            Hey Frank,
            It sounds like you plan on getting all your kites from one brand.
            Sometimes one size of one brand works well while the next size
            up and down of different brands work better (like the old Wipikas
            - the 6.5 and 5.0 were real good but the 11m and 8.5 were not). I
            know the winds you ride in and I suggest you get whatever kites
            you like, but make sure you get the Airush 9.4 as well - it is the
            perfect size for Leo Carillo and C-street. I have been using the
            9.4 for a while now and all I can say is the 9.4Lift SMOKES! It
            flies perfect on a 45cm bar and jumps SO HIGH! And it shows
            no signs of seam fatigue or delamming. Let me know when you
            are going to be in my area so you check the 9.4 out. Have fun out
            there!
            -Aaron Foster

            --- In kitesurf@y..., "frankvedres" <fvedres@a...> wrote:
            > --- I have 2
            > > quivers of kites to choose from at the moment (North and F-
            One).
            > The Naish
            > > Aero is another kite I/
            >
            > Hey Steve - sorry if you have already amswered my Q in a past
            post
            > but I was wondering which kite you prefer more between the f1
            and
            > north ( 2 of 5 kites I am considering buying new quivers with --
            that
            > is if someone would buy my arx's already)and why.
            >
            > North is easier for me to purchase locally. Other kires I'm
            > considering are the Airush lift, and Slingshot fuel and liquid
            force.
            > ___.
            >
            > Hey Kinsley- after you have had some time to test the 2, same
            Q for
            > you between your F1'a and Airush
            >
            > Thanks to both of you for the continious good information
            > Frank
          • frankvedres
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2002
              Have fun out
              > there!
              > -Aaron Foster

              Youve got a point Aaron
              It seems like more people are recommending Rhinos than anything else
              but I've heard a few guys say that the bigger Rhinos are too slow. I
              just got an email from someone else saying that the Lifts are too
              fast and that an expert kiter couldnt handle the speed. I cant really
              imagine that. I really havent flown anything besides arx's and I
              love the speed of my 7.5- even when I'm overpowered I love how fast
              it is and dont mind having to be on top of my kite control. Since
              (unfortunately) my most used kite here in LA is my 15.5, I want a
              fast big kite. Do other kiters agree that the bigger Rhinos are slow
              and that similar sized competitor kites (airush, wipika, slingshot,
              etc) in bigger sizes are faster?
              Frank

              > --- In kitesurf@y..., "sactear" <arf@g...> wrote:
              > Hey Frank,
              > It sounds like you plan on getting all your kites from one brand.
              > Sometimes one size of one brand works well while the next size
              > up and down of different brands work better (like the old Wipikas
              > - the 6.5 and 5.0 were real good but the 11m and 8.5 were not). I
              > know the winds you ride in and I suggest you get whatever kites
              > you like, but make sure you get the Airush 9.4 as well - it is the
              > perfect size for Leo Carillo and C-street. I have been using the
              > 9.4 for a while now and all I can say is the 9.4Lift SMOKES! It
              > flies perfect on a 45cm bar and jumps SO HIGH! And it shows
              > no signs of seam fatigue or delamming. Let me know when you
              > are going to be in my area so you check the 9.4 out.--- In
              kitesurf@y..., "frankvedres" <fvedres@a...> wrote:
              > > --- I have 2
              > > > quivers of kites to choose from at the moment (North and F-
              > One).
              > > The Naish
              > > > Aero is another kite I/
              > >
              > > Hey Steve - sorry if you have already amswered my Q in a past
              > post
              > > but I was wondering which kite you prefer more between the f1
              > and
              > > north ( 2 of 5 kites I am considering buying new quivers with --
              > that
              > > is if someone would buy my arx's already)and why.
              > >
              > > North is easier for me to purchase locally. Other kires I'm
              > > considering are the Airush lift, and Slingshot fuel and liquid
              > force.
              > > ___.
              > >
              > > Hey Kinsley- after you have had some time to test the 2, same
              > Q for
              > > you between your F1'a and Airush
              > >
              > > Thanks to both of you for the continious good information
              > > Frank
            • Kitepower

                It sounds like you plan on getting all your kites from one brand.
                Sometimes one size of one brand works well while the next size
                up and down of different brands work better (like the old Wipikas
                - the 6.5 and 5.0 were real good but the 11m and 8.5 were not). I
                know the winds you ride in and I suggest you get whatever kites
                you like, but make sure you get the Airush 9.4 as well - it is the
                perfect size for Leo Carillo and C-street. I have been using the
                9.4 for a while now and all I can say is the 9.4Lift SMOKES! It
                flies perfect on a 45cm bar and jumps SO HIGH! And it shows
                no signs of seam fatigue or delamming. Let me know when you
                are going to be in my area so you check the 9.4 out. Have fun out
                there!
                -Aaron Foster

                --- In kitesurf@y..., "frankvedres" <fvedres@a...> wrote:
                > --- I have 2
                > > quivers of kites to choose from at the moment (North and F-
                One).
                > The Naish
                > > Aero is another kite I/
                >
                > Hey Steve - sorry if you have already amswered my Q in a past
                post
                > but I was wondering which kite you prefer more between the f1
                and
                > north ( 2 of 5 kites I am considering buying new quivers with --
                that
                > is if someone would buy my arx's already)and why.
                >
                > North is easier for me to purchase locally. Other kires I'm
                > considering are the Airush lift, and Slingshot fuel and liquid
                force.
                > ___.
                >
                > Hey Kinsley- after you have had some time to test the 2, same
                Q for
                > you between your F1'a and Airush
                >
                > Thanks to both of you for the continious good information
                > Frank

              • Kitepower
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 5, 2002
                  Flight speed does not mean a certain kite that flies fast will be a good
                  kite for you, it still needs to be matched to a board of sufficient planing
                  area, for the combination to move fast.
                  Most advanced riders I know are very pleased with the North 16.0 and they
                  all generally prefer faster kites.
                  The new F-One kites are fast compared to some others. But it is not just the
                  kite that should be considered when trying to get low wind performance, the
                  boards planing area is critical.
                  The Underground Smorgasboard is the beast board to use in low wind
                  conditions, you simply plane earlier and go faster with this board which
                  means you will get more power and lift from the kite you are using, and will
                  actually be able to at least do transition jumps in as low as 7/8knots, with
                  the 16.0 North, F-One 15.1, 16.0 Aero, Airush lift?, Slingshot?, 1410 arc
                  etc, etc
                  Flying large kites in light winds getting air is a real different skill than
                  when the winds are strong - over 17/18 knots everything starts to work -
                  easily!.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 5, 2002
                    Frank,
                    All kites on the market right now are all good! Most of the kite
                    companies have improved their lines of kites for the 2002 both in
                    quality and performance. I really like the quality of construction
                    on the F-One and Airush Kites. Other kite companies claimed to have
                    the best or whatsoever, you as the customer will have to inspect and
                    test out the kites yourself.

                    My advice is to try out all the kites before you make your purchasing
                    decision. If you are looking for performance, then make sure you
                    test all sizes of the same manufacturers. Also, look at the complete
                    accessories that come with the kite: Control bar, pump, accessories,
                    etc...

                    Personally, I fly the F-One MACH1 kites right now because in
                    California I can very much just use one kite MACH1 15.1 90% of the
                    time because of its big wind range. And when the wind pick up more
                    than 25kts, I fly the MACH1 12.1 and the MACH1 12.1 is 100% IDENTICAL
                    in feeling, responsiveness, etc. as the MACH1 15.1. This is very
                    important for me as I want to do the same tricks with 100% confident
                    in higher wind. I am no longer scare of using the smaller kites in
                    stronger wind because of the kite moves too fast or spending extra
                    times to get adjusted to the different feeling/responsiveness of the
                    two different sizes of the same brand. For example, last year I had
                    to adjust my riding style every time I switched kites from the Wipika
                    Airblast 11.8 down to Airblast 8.4 or from 8.4 down to 6.3.
                    There is a big descrepancy in feeling/responsiveness/etc. within the
                    Airblast kites.

                    Now, I just fly the MACH1 kites and both the MACH1 15.1 and 12.1
                    provide the identical feeling/responsiveness.

                    Last weekend, I tested the F-One MACH1 18.1. The MACH1 18.1 is faster
                    than the NORTH 22M. However, there is much different in speed between
                    the MACH1 18.1 and 15.1. I tested MACH1 18.1 both in 27M and 20M
                    line. I preferred the MACH1 18.1 with 20M and 3M leader line.

                    I have tested the Airush Lift 9.4. I will be testing the Airush
                    Lift 12M soon. Hope the information is helpful to you.

                    Cheers,
                    Kinsley.