Windtools Booster - take 2

  • Decay
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2002
      My replacement 12m and 8.6m Windtools Boosters arrived this week.

      The first shipment had a stitching/seam issue that Windtools was quick to
      address after it became aware of it.

      The kites are sligthly different from the first ones - the 12m has a new
      chamber adjuster on the leading edge end of the battens, this now has a
      strap going to the top of the leading edge to stiffen the frame and help
      prevent inverting. Both kites have stiffer material in the leading edge and
      the wing tips and all the velcro has been up-rated.

      Got out on both kites last night in a dying/gust southerly, performance
      seems the same as my first versions - which is on par with ALL the current
      inflatables.

      One thing I did play around with last night was the chamber adjustment on
      the 8.6m, when I first went out it was set up tight - which flattens the
      profile out and speeds the kite up. The kite was ALL over the sky, would get
      way out on the edge but wouldn't produce a lot of power unless I was really
      moving. I came in dropped the tension off the adjusters and went back out -
      it was like flying a completely different kite, slower, more power, and a
      good steady pull. Pretty cool that I can have different kites for different
      conditions with just a small adjustment. On flat water I would set the kite
      slow and powerful and for waves the better up wind and fast handling of a
      flater kite would be the go!

      Decay