Saipan Kite Competition - Best Format?

  • Daniel Lamar
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2002
      TheSaipan Windsurf/Kitesurf Association in Conjunction with North
      Kiteboarding is Sponsoring a first annual kite competition Febuary 7-10th,
      to coincide with the Anual Windsurfing regatta that occurs here each year.
      The organizers are all new kiteborders in the last year, and we are looking
      for suggestions on how to organize this event. The event site is has
      sideshore winds that vary to slightly on or off. The water is flat adjacent
      to the beach which is and fairly shallow, only several feet deep. We are
      considering mainly a freestryle event and perhaps a race out to an upwind
      mark and back. This is a beginning primarily an amateur event with a North
      kite as the first prize. We don't plan to have very many competitors this
      year, mostly local kiters from Guam and Saipan. We hope to get some video
      footage in that will be shown on the Asian Windsufing Tour's Video. There is
      an outside reef break that the more experienced can go for but we do not
      plan to have wave kiteboarding as part of the competition. At any rate,
      looking for suggestions on how to pull this event off well, i.e. Pitfalls
      to avoid, key points to pay attention to, safety issues, how to coordinate
      the timing of the individual competitors, scoring methods, etc.. Thanks
      in advance. Daniel in Saipan

      Daniel C Lamar
      PO BOX 5855 CHRB
      Saipan, MP 96950
      670-322-3606
      danlamar@...
    • David San
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2002
        --- Daniel Lamar <danlamar@...> wrote:
        > TheSaipan Windsurf/Kitesurf Association in
        > Conjunction with North
        > Kiteboarding is Sponsoring a first annual kite
        > competition Febuary 7-10th,
        > to coincide with the Anual Windsurfing regatta that
        > occurs here each year.
        > The organizers are all new kiteborders in the last
        > year, and we are looking
        > for suggestions on how to organize this event. The
        > event site is has
        > sideshore winds that vary to slightly on or off.
        > The water is flat adjacent
        > to the beach which is and fairly shallow, only
        > several feet deep. We are
        > considering mainly a freestryle event and perhaps a
        > race out to an upwind
        > mark and back. This is a beginning primarily an
        > amateur event with a North
        > kite as the first prize. We don't plan to have
        > very many competitors this
        > year, mostly local kiters from Guam and Saipan. We
        > hope to get some video
        > footage in that will be shown on the Asian
        > Windsufing Tour's Video. There is
        > an outside reef break that the more experienced can
        > go for but we do not
        > plan to have wave kiteboarding as part of the
        > competition. At any rate,
        > looking for suggestions on how to pull this event
        > off well, i.e. Pitfalls
        > to avoid, key points to pay attention to, safety
        > issues, how to coordinate
        > the timing of the individual competitors, scoring
        > methods, etc.. Thanks
        > in advance. Daniel in Saipan
        >
        > Daniel C Lamar
        > PO BOX 5855 CHRB
        > Saipan, MP 96950
        > 670-322-3606
        > danlamar@...
        > Hey Daniel,it's good to hear that you will be
        holding a kite contest,how many people signed up? are
        they other competitors from Japan etc? Laurant,myself
        will be up their this week,Jon and the others not to
        sure.I'am excited to see how this will go through.who
        will compete from Saipan? we are all beginers it will
        be fun!!!I think they should be diffrent catagories,
        directional boards,wake boards,twin tip boards. with
        wake and twin tips they ride both ways no need for
        jibes so the riders have a big advantage with
        transitions compared to pure 3 strap directional
        boards.see you all this week....DAVE

        http://auctions.yahoo.com