RE: [ksurf] Physio help

  • Kitepower
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
      You could get an attractive girl to do it!
      sorry
      ;-)
      In my experience, broken bones take a long time in some cases to heal, it
      was nearly 3 years before I got reasonably full movement back into by
      smashed arm/shoulder, more than a year to get full, no pain movement from a
      small fracture and tendon injury in my left foot, etc

      Cya and
      Goodwinds
      Steve McCormack
      http://www.kitepower.com.au
      mailto:sydney@...
      126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
      Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
      Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2002
        Like a growing number of people I have caught the kiting bug but
        have unfortunately injured myself and am out of the water with a
        fractured wrist. (I wish I had read the accident database while
        still being a novice!)

        My real question is for people who have had wrist injuries:

        From the time you had your cast removed and started rehabilitating
        the muscles and joint, how long was it until you got back in the
        water?

        Were there any things that helped shorten the healing process and
        were there any lesson you learnt in what not to do?

        I have been told that from a academic perspective when the cast
        comes off the joint is approx. 50% healed and that it takes a
        further six weeks to get to 90-95%.

        Thanks in advance, Richard.
      • petterfrostell2
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2002
          Hi Richard,

          As far as things not to do, in my case (a dislocated wrist, after six
          weeks the joint had stabilized) pain was the only guide. My physio
          told me to do as much as I could do until the pain stopped me. I had
          no broken bones so this may be another case for you.

          An important thing just hit me, I spent alot of my rehab. time fixing
          a problem that occured when my hand was in the cast. My tendons
          going through my hand to my fingers had shortened, making it
          impossible for me to straighten my fingers (very ouch!). This could
          have been avoided or reduced by asking a doctor or physio to which
          extent I could have excersized my hand. I used to wiggle my fingers
          thinking 'hey great I've got movement, it must be OK'.

          Unfortunately no doctor mentioned the possibility of physio during
          the time of the cast being on. In my case stretching my fingers
          backwards (tendon from finger tip through wrist into the forearm)
          would have saved me ONE MONTH of rehab. hand work getting me to
          the stage of being able to start strength excersizes. Ask you Doc
          about this!

          Good luck with your recovery.

          //Petter

          --- In kitesurf@y..., "rjbooth10" <rbooth@m...> wrote:
          > Like a growing number of people I have caught the kiting bug but
          > have unfortunately injured myself and am out of the water with a
          > fractured wrist. (I wish I had read the accident database while
          > still being a novice!)
          >
          > My real question is for people who have had wrist injuries:
          >
          > From the time you had your cast removed and started rehabilitating
          > the muscles and joint, how long was it until you got back in the
          > water?
          >
          > Were there any things that helped shorten the healing process and
          > were there any lesson you learnt in what not to do?
          >
          > I have been told that from a academic perspective when the cast
          > comes off the joint is approx. 50% healed and that it takes a
          > further six weeks to get to 90-95%.
          >

          > Thanks in advance, Richard.

          > Hi,
          >
          > This is for any physios out there.
          >
          > Six months ago I had a little lofting experience and dislocated my
          > left wrist. As a result this was in a plaster cast for a whole 6
          > weeks. Ofcourse the stability and most of my strength is coming
          > back but what is not happening is the mobility.
          >
          > I can't get to my physio for a while and am wondering if there is
          > anything I can do myself, except the obvious... grabbing my (bad)
          > hand with my strong hand and forcing it to flex forwards and
          > backwards.
          >
          > Is there any tricks of the trade I could use to make this easier?
          >
          > //Petter
        • eyedrstan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 17, 2002
            --- In kitesurf@y..., "petterfrostell2" <petter.frostell@t...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > This is for any physios out there.
            >
            > Six months ago I had a little lofting experience and dislocated my
            > left wrist. As a result this was in a plaster cast for a whole 6
            > weeks. Ofcourse the stability and most of my strength is coming
            > back but what is not happening is the mobility.
            >
            > I can't get to my physio for a while and am wondering if there is
            > anything I can do myself, except the obvious... grabbing my (bad)
            > hand with my strong hand and forcing it to flex forwards and
            > backwards.
            >
            > Is there any tricks of the trade I could use to make this easier?
            >
            > //Petter

            You should soak your hand in warm salt water at least once per day.
            Your mobility will improve.. Must massage several points on the
            forearm..You will slowly rebuild all the muscles and ligaments.
            Massage is very important healing tool
          • petterfrostell2
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 18, 2002
              Hi Eyedrstan,

              When reading your post I couldn't help think that the original one
              was very similar to one I wrote a few months ago until I saw my
              name as the sender. Thanks for your response!

              > You should soak your hand in warm salt water at least once per day.
              > Your mobility will improve.. Must massage several points on the
              > forearm..You will slowly rebuild all the muscles and ligaments.
              > Massage is very important healing tool

              Ten months afterwards and my wrist is still somewhat 'jammed up',
              strength is less of an issue now. I did a bit of remedial massage in
              my younger years and am curious as to which points are good to
              massage.

              Are you saying that the warm salt water trick will still work this
              long after the accident?

              Thanks again,

              Petter.