Keep it secret...[ksurf] Re: would 15.1 Mach1 be good for me?

  • xtremebigair
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1 10:12 AM
      Hey Leon,
      You are blowing the secret...

      I have been riding the MACH1 15.1 for about 4 months now...
      MACH1 15.1 Production kite is truely range from 8 kts to 30kts ++
      NO, I do not have fun with the kite in 30kts but it helped me in
      situation such as in Barbados last December. (The very tiny beach of
      Silver Sands was overly crowed as kiters got blown out and getting
      rescue on the tiny little silver sands beach and the windsufers
      dashing out, the wind was blowing 30 kts, so I just edged it my kite
      as much and rode in the 30kts wind for 10 mintues until the beach
      clear and came in...)
      The Mach1 15.1 really has a big wind range! I am 70KG/155lbs and ride
      the TT142. I rig the Mach1 15.1 with 20M and 3M leader line. The
      production kite comes with 27M line and 1M Leader line.
      In wind 8kts, I don't have fun.
      in wind 10kts, yes I can crank out sweet jumps.
      In wind 12-18kts=PERFECT WIND RANGE for me with the MACH1 15.1!!!

      Just got the F-One Mach1 18.1 and Airush LIFT 12M yesterday: got to
      test these babies out this weekend! PRAY FOR WIND!

      Read more of MACH1 15.1 review and other kites review at my web site:
      http://XtremeBigAir.com/KiteSurfing

      Go Xtreme,
      Kinsley Wong
      http://XtremeBigAir.com

      > G'day Aaron
      > Leon Clemones, a local rider here, and good mate of John Messenger
      our new
      > National Champ has been witnessed riding the 15.1 in 25 knots, he
      weighs
      > approx 95kg and was riding an Underground Fridge Door 1.38
      > John Messenger was watching, and he knows the wind strength in this
      area, it
      > was his FD Leon was riding!
      > I spent approx 2.5 hrs on the 15.1 last Sunday, in winds ranging
      from 8 to
      > 14 knots, onshore.
      > I first went out on a 1.41 LT as I had lent my FD to a local Arc
      flyer. It
      > was fine in the gusts above 10 knots and I was getting 2M jumps with
      it, but
      > when I saw the arcoholic go in for a rest or something I swapped
      boards,
      > from then on I hardly sludged at all, except in a sustained lull
      when I was
      > caught in a wind hollow as well.
      > I just ran 50m up the beach to a little sand spit waded out and got
      going
      > again. Once I got stuck in the river on an incoming tide, just
      walked back
      > to the same spit and stayed in the bay.
      > I was getting overpowered on some runs with the FD, and was able to
      get some
      > 3M+ jumps, great upwind angles, heaps of speed, it was a great
      session and
      > proved the bottom end of the range to me for the Mach-1 and a bigger
      guy
      > like Leon will get top end figure quoted.
      > Top End for me on the 15.1 will be approx 16/17 knots, after which a
      smaller
      > kite like the 12.1 is more fun (for me), but I'm a bit different as
      I have 2
      > quivers of kites to choose from at the moment (North and F-One). The
      Naish
      > Aero is another kite I want to try soon, the 14.0 has just landed,
      and I
      > will get one on Monday. I weigh 70kg approx.
      > I did not use a fixed harness line on this session but wished I had
      one. I
      > was forced to sheet the kite out to get the most out of it in the
      lulls, but
      > would have been in the fixed line all the rest of the session.
      > The Mach-1 is not like the arc in any other way other than the way
      you can
      > sheet it out to increase forward speed which can result in more
      power!

      > Cya and
      > Goodwinds
      > Steve McCormack
      > http://www.kitepower.com.au
      > mailto:sydney@k...
      > Open 7 days
      > Phone +61293157894

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • frankvedres
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1 10:49 AM
        --- I have 2
        > quivers of kites to choose from at the moment (North and F-One).
        The Naish
        > Aero is another kite I/

        Hey Steve - sorry if you have already amswered my Q in a past post
        but I was wondering which kite you prefer more between the f1 and
        north ( 2 of 5 kites I am considering buying new quivers with -- that
        is if someone would buy my arx's already)and why.

        North is easier for me to purchase locally. Other kires I'm
        considering are the Airush lift, and Slingshot fuel and liquid force.
        ___.

        Hey Kinsley- after you have had some time to test the 2, same Q for
        you between your F1'a and Airush

        Thanks to both of you for the continious good information
        Frank
      • callum_downie
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1 1:49 PM
          Let us know how the test goes for the 18.1 mach1 - very interested in
          that kite when it comes out...

          Cheers
          Callum

        • Kitepower
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1 2:29 PM
            North, because I am more familiar with them and prefer the extra stabilty
            and slighly slower flight speed.

            Cya and
            Goodwinds
            Steve McCormack
            http://www.kitepower.com.au
            mailto:sydney@...
            126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
            Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
            Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
            *
            * Hey Steve - sorry if you have already amswered my Q in a past post
            * but I was wondering which kite you prefer more between the f1 and
            * north ( 2 of 5 kites I am considering buying new quivers with -- that
            * is if someone would buy my arx's already)and why.
            *
            * North is easier for me to purchase locally. Other kires I'm
            * considering are the Airush lift, and Slingshot fuel and liquid force.
            * ___.
            *
            * Hey Kinsley- after you have had some time to test the 2, same Q for
            * you between your F1'a and Airush
            *
            * Thanks to both of you for the continious good information
            * Frank
            *
            *
            * Support your local kitesurf association !
            *
            *
            * <<<to unsubscribe send a message to kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>
            *
            * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            *
            *
          • Kitepower
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1 2:32 PM
              You know Leon, Kinsley?
              He blew it big time there were a dozen very experienced Sydney kiters with
              him up at Fingal bay a couple of weekends ago!

[...]
              * >
              * >
[...]
              * > >
              * > > Thanks,
              * > > Hudson
              * >
              * >
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1 2:34 PM
                Setting of lines has more to do with the position of your arms, so that you
                can ride comfortably for a long time.
                I put a screwdriver in the ground and adjust the position where all 4 are
                equal, so that when fully powered up I am comfortable. Most kites are fully
                powered when the lines are even. If they are not make adjustments at the
                beach after a short test flight.

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 1 8:33 PM
                  Hey Frank,
                  It sounds like you plan on getting all your kites from one brand.
                  Sometimes one size of one brand works well while the next size
                  up and down of different brands work better (like the old Wipikas
                  - the 6.5 and 5.0 were real good but the 11m and 8.5 were not). I
                  know the winds you ride in and I suggest you get whatever kites
                  you like, but make sure you get the Airush 9.4 as well - it is the
                  perfect size for Leo Carillo and C-street. I have been using the
                  9.4 for a while now and all I can say is the 9.4Lift SMOKES! It
                  flies perfect on a 45cm bar and jumps SO HIGH! And it shows
                  no signs of seam fatigue or delamming. Let me know when you
                  are going to be in my area so you check the 9.4 out. Have fun out
                  there!
                  -Aaron Foster

                  --- In kitesurf@y..., "frankvedres" <fvedres@a...> wrote:
                  > --- I have 2
                  > > quivers of kites to choose from at the moment (North and F-
                  One).
                  > The Naish
                  > > Aero is another kite I/
                  >
                  > Hey Steve - sorry if you have already amswered my Q in a past
                  post
                  > but I was wondering which kite you prefer more between the f1
                  and
                  > north ( 2 of 5 kites I am considering buying new quivers with --
                  that
                  > is if someone would buy my arx's already)and why.
                  >
                  > North is easier for me to purchase locally. Other kires I'm
                  > considering are the Airush lift, and Slingshot fuel and liquid
                  force.
                  > ___.
                  >
                  > Hey Kinsley- after you have had some time to test the 2, same
                  Q for
                  > you between your F1'a and Airush
                  >
                  > Thanks to both of you for the continious good information
                  > Frank
                • frankvedres
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 2 12:33 AM
                    Have fun out
                    > there!
                    > -Aaron Foster

                    Youve got a point Aaron
                    It seems like more people are recommending Rhinos than anything else
                    but I've heard a few guys say that the bigger Rhinos are too slow. I
                    just got an email from someone else saying that the Lifts are too
                    fast and that an expert kiter couldnt handle the speed. I cant really
                    imagine that. I really havent flown anything besides arx's and I
                    love the speed of my 7.5- even when I'm overpowered I love how fast
                    it is and dont mind having to be on top of my kite control. Since
                    (unfortunately) my most used kite here in LA is my 15.5, I want a
                    fast big kite. Do other kiters agree that the bigger Rhinos are slow
                    and that similar sized competitor kites (airush, wipika, slingshot,
                    etc) in bigger sizes are faster?
                    Frank

                    > --- In kitesurf@y..., "sactear" <arf@g...> wrote:
                    > Hey Frank,
                    > It sounds like you plan on getting all your kites from one brand.
                    > Sometimes one size of one brand works well while the next size
                    > up and down of different brands work better (like the old Wipikas
                    > - the 6.5 and 5.0 were real good but the 11m and 8.5 were not). I
                    > know the winds you ride in and I suggest you get whatever kites
                    > you like, but make sure you get the Airush 9.4 as well - it is the
                    > perfect size for Leo Carillo and C-street. I have been using the
                    > 9.4 for a while now and all I can say is the 9.4Lift SMOKES! It
                    > flies perfect on a 45cm bar and jumps SO HIGH! And it shows
                    > no signs of seam fatigue or delamming. Let me know when you
                    > are going to be in my area so you check the 9.4 out.--- In
                    kitesurf@y..., "frankvedres" <fvedres@a...> wrote:
                    > > --- I have 2
                    > > > quivers of kites to choose from at the moment (North and F-
                    > One).
                    > > The Naish
                    > > > Aero is another kite I/
                    > >
                    > > Hey Steve - sorry if you have already amswered my Q in a past
                    > post
                    > > but I was wondering which kite you prefer more between the f1
                    > and
                    > > north ( 2 of 5 kites I am considering buying new quivers with --
                    > that
                    > > is if someone would buy my arx's already)and why.
                    > >
                    > > North is easier for me to purchase locally. Other kires I'm
                    > > considering are the Airush lift, and Slingshot fuel and liquid
                    > force.
                    > > ___.
                    > >
                    > > Hey Kinsley- after you have had some time to test the 2, same
                    > Q for
                    > > you between your F1'a and Airush
                    > >
                    > > Thanks to both of you for the continious good information
                    > > Frank
                  • Kitepower

                      It sounds like you plan on getting all your kites from one brand.
                      Sometimes one size of one brand works well while the next size
                      up and down of different brands work better (like the old Wipikas
                      - the 6.5 and 5.0 were real good but the 11m and 8.5 were not). I
                      know the winds you ride in and I suggest you get whatever kites
                      you like, but make sure you get the Airush 9.4 as well - it is the
                      perfect size for Leo Carillo and C-street. I have been using the
                      9.4 for a while now and all I can say is the 9.4Lift SMOKES! It
                      flies perfect on a 45cm bar and jumps SO HIGH! And it shows
                      no signs of seam fatigue or delamming. Let me know when you
                      are going to be in my area so you check the 9.4 out. Have fun out
                      there!
                      -Aaron Foster

                      --- In kitesurf@y..., "frankvedres" <fvedres@a...> wrote:
                      > --- I have 2
                      > > quivers of kites to choose from at the moment (North and F-
                      One).
                      > The Naish
                      > > Aero is another kite I/
                      >
                      > Hey Steve - sorry if you have already amswered my Q in a past
                      post
                      > but I was wondering which kite you prefer more between the f1
                      and
                      > north ( 2 of 5 kites I am considering buying new quivers with --
                      that
                      > is if someone would buy my arx's already)and why.
                      >
                      > North is easier for me to purchase locally. Other kires I'm
                      > considering are the Airush lift, and Slingshot fuel and liquid
                      force.
                      > ___.
                      >
                      > Hey Kinsley- after you have had some time to test the 2, same
                      Q for
                      > you between your F1'a and Airush
                      >
                      > Thanks to both of you for the continious good information
                      > Frank

                    • Kitepower
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 5 2:11 AM
                        Flight speed does not mean a certain kite that flies fast will be a good
                        kite for you, it still needs to be matched to a board of sufficient planing
                        area, for the combination to move fast.
                        Most advanced riders I know are very pleased with the North 16.0 and they
                        all generally prefer faster kites.
                        The new F-One kites are fast compared to some others. But it is not just the
                        kite that should be considered when trying to get low wind performance, the
                        boards planing area is critical.
                        The Underground Smorgasboard is the beast board to use in low wind
                        conditions, you simply plane earlier and go faster with this board which
                        means you will get more power and lift from the kite you are using, and will
                        actually be able to at least do transition jumps in as low as 7/8knots, with
                        the 16.0 North, F-One 15.1, 16.0 Aero, Airush lift?, Slingshot?, 1410 arc
                        etc, etc
                        Flying large kites in light winds getting air is a real different skill than
                        when the winds are strong - over 17/18 knots everything starts to work -
                        easily!.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 5 11:48 AM
                          Frank,
                          All kites on the market right now are all good! Most of the kite
                          companies have improved their lines of kites for the 2002 both in
                          quality and performance. I really like the quality of construction
                          on the F-One and Airush Kites. Other kite companies claimed to have
                          the best or whatsoever, you as the customer will have to inspect and
                          test out the kites yourself.

                          My advice is to try out all the kites before you make your purchasing
                          decision. If you are looking for performance, then make sure you
                          test all sizes of the same manufacturers. Also, look at the complete
                          accessories that come with the kite: Control bar, pump, accessories,
                          etc...

                          Personally, I fly the F-One MACH1 kites right now because in
                          California I can very much just use one kite MACH1 15.1 90% of the
                          time because of its big wind range. And when the wind pick up more
                          than 25kts, I fly the MACH1 12.1 and the MACH1 12.1 is 100% IDENTICAL
                          in feeling, responsiveness, etc. as the MACH1 15.1. This is very
                          important for me as I want to do the same tricks with 100% confident
                          in higher wind. I am no longer scare of using the smaller kites in
                          stronger wind because of the kite moves too fast or spending extra
                          times to get adjusted to the different feeling/responsiveness of the
                          two different sizes of the same brand. For example, last year I had
                          to adjust my riding style every time I switched kites from the Wipika
                          Airblast 11.8 down to Airblast 8.4 or from 8.4 down to 6.3.
                          There is a big descrepancy in feeling/responsiveness/etc. within the
                          Airblast kites.

                          Now, I just fly the MACH1 kites and both the MACH1 15.1 and 12.1
                          provide the identical feeling/responsiveness.

                          Last weekend, I tested the F-One MACH1 18.1. The MACH1 18.1 is faster
                          than the NORTH 22M. However, there is much different in speed between
                          the MACH1 18.1 and 15.1. I tested MACH1 18.1 both in 27M and 20M
                          line. I preferred the MACH1 18.1 with 20M and 3M leader line.

                          I have tested the Airush Lift 9.4. I will be testing the Airush
                          Lift 12M soon. Hope the information is helpful to you.

                          Cheers,
                          Kinsley.