Wht's it like

  • misterpauljarvis
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2002
      Thinking of going to Fuertaventura in March, has anyone been there?
      I've come across a site fro Flag beach which looks quite a cool place
      to kite. Does anyone know of other beaches?

      Paul
    • loco4viento
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2002
        Hey Paul,

        Fuerteventura is awesome...Flag Beach is great, stay near there like in
        Corralejo or Lajares or even in El Cotillo. When the wind clocks around
        to the point that Flag Beach doesn't get the exposure, El Cotillo is
        about 20 minutes across the north end of the island and it is also
        nice...roomy beach, grindy little shore break and maybe not the good
        wave riding of Flag, but you'll get out there and have fun. Sotavento
        on the south end of the island (Jandia peninsula) near Morro Jable in
        beautiful and worth a visit or two, but the wind is gusty and offshore,
        but at high tides you can ride in the shallow water that is protected
        by a sand bar, so it's smooth and you probably won't get a kite ride to
        Africa....Corralejo area and Flag Beach are THE SPOTS you'll like.
        Generally when Flag isn't working, El Cotillo is. You can rent a car
        through the Flag Beach website...you'll need one. Hard to imagine
        regretting a trip to Fuerte; I only regret it's kind of a pain in the
        ass to get there from the USA cuz I'd like to go there all the time.
        Have fun, John

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "misterpauljarvis" <misterpauljarvis@y...> wrote:
        > Thinking of going to Fuertaventura in March, has anyone been there?
        > I've come across a site fro Flag beach which looks quite a cool place
        > to kite. Does anyone know of other beaches?
        >
        > Paul
      • Marc Munzer
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 2, 2002
          For more info on the rebel check out
          http://www.windtech.co.uk

          I also have some info on my site

          http://www.goextreme.dk/kites/Rebel.php

          but its mostly copied from windtech.co.uk. Check out

          http://www.goextreme.dk/KSR/listproducts.php?id=139

          for some detailed pictures of the 2001 9.2 Rebel.

          I've only used the 2001 11.6 and the 14 myself. The 11.6 is a super kite,
          very stable (I got my first jumps with it and did not luff it once), fast
          turning and good depower. The 14 is the same, but it is a bit more
          difficult to turn. However, the 14 I had was a prototype. Since then they
          have made a lot of improvements, tip battens and a different trailing edge
          design being the big ones. Also this year they are releasing a new bar
          system which should be really good.

          Also Windtech is releasing a new kite this year called the Quantum which is
          a 2/4 line convertible kite. It goes into production in February.
          Supposedly UK kitesurf magazine has one at the moment for testing and they
          loved it. Look for a positive review in that magazine coming out soon.

          Any more questions let me know.

          Best regards,

          Marc
          GoExtreme.dk
        • Kitepower
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 2, 2002
            Hi All

            A sad person bought in a slightly fuked Fanatic 7.5M foil yesterday, he had
            bought it secondhand for $1200, as a way of deciding whether he would like
            kiteboarding, he had never flown kites before!
            We took it across the road to the park and layed it out, one primary bridle
            was broken and had been shortened a lot in the re-tying (easy fix).
            The Spanwise internal bladder was shot, so I showed him how to fix it and
            said I would help him get it to fly or at least try, once he had done the
            repairs to the bladder.
            The bladder looks to be a bit of a crappy thing, ripstop bag inside which is
            a heavy bladder made of thick material similar to an inflato's bladder, but
            with holes cut in each end and bits of tubing inserted with cable ties to
            secure the bladder to the tubing, like the Mossie bladders/bags! I really
            can't see how it would be durable and reliably hold air?
            Anyone comment on this kite?
            He was told it was a 2001 model kite?

            Cya and
            Goodwinds
            Steve McCormack
            http://www.kitepower.com.au
            mailto:sydney@...
            126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
            Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
            Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
            mailto:geelong@...
          • Marc Munzer
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 4, 2002
              Just got a couple of new warriors. Haven't had a chance to fly them but
              thought I would post a couple of comments anyways.

              First its a beautiful kite, even just sitting on the floor :-)

              Secondly it has mesh drainage vents at the end of each rib so that if you
              get water or sand in it, the water or sand moves to the center cell and the
              drainage port easily. There are also velcro vents at the tips which can
              drain water or sand.

              Thirdly the mesh on the inlet valves is gone so that you can reach in and
              straighten the valves before prefilling. (Supposedly you can remove the
              mesh on the mastairs too. Gives you better inflation)

              Fourth there are much fewer bridles than the mastair. Its really amazing.

              Fifth, the new bag is very nice. It has padded shoulder straps and a hip
              belt for comfortable carrying. It has a big strap across the back where you
              can strap your board. It has a fold out pocket which you can use to set
              your board into. It has two side pockets for extra stuff. It comes in
              different colours for all the different sizes.

              Sixth, the new bar is very nice. Thinner than the old one. Colour coded
              left and right. Colour coded line winders. Little neoprene socks which
              cover the line winders while you are surfing so that you can't catch any
              lines (it was easy to catch the leash with the old bars). Nice depower
              system with the new quick release loop.

              Seventh, new anti twist lines at the kite. The old brake lines used to
              twist after a while sailing. The new lines have a swivel which elliminate
              twisting.

              Eighth, the butt valve has a little sock which you can pull out so that the
              velcro won't shut itself.

              Ninth, new pulleys at the kite. Don't have any sharp edges which can wear
              out lines.

              Tenth, manual with pictures and text explaining kite setup.

              All in all, I am very impressed. Now if the kite flys like others have
              written it flys I will in heaven :-)

              Best regards,

              Marc
              GoExtreme.dk
            • Marc Munzer
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 4, 2002
                I am not getting any emails from the list? But I can send to the list and I
                can get emails from other people? Is anybody else having the same problem?

                Marc
              • gregwalshau
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 4, 2002
                  Hey Flysurfer riders.

                  Are you guys riding without a leash and doing the upwind body drag?

                  Do you have to do the lay the body bit or can you just depower and
                  get dragged upwind?

                  Thanks

                  Greg
                • Kitepower
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 4, 2002
                    The silence is deafening, this guy will be back with the bladder fixed soon,
                    it would be great to have some background info on the kite before I go off
                    to try and fly it.
                    Help please?!

                    Cya and
                    Goodwinds
                    Steve McCormack
                    http://www.kitepower.com.au
                    mailto:sydney@...
                    Open 7 days
                    126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
                    Phone +61293157894

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 4, 2002
                      they sound wicked so far
                      i get mine in a week or 2
                      i can't wait

                      Dan Sheridan
                      http://www.kitesnowboarding.net
                      Kites,Gear,Lessons and Info
                      North America's number 1 online
                      gear shop for kitesnowboarders
                      Kitesurfing gear too !!!
                      Email: dan@...
                      Phone: 416 818 6787

                      --- In kitesurf@y..., Marc Munzer <mmun@i...> wrote:
                      > Just got a couple of new warriors. Haven't had a chance to fly them
                      but
                      > thought I would post a couple of comments anyways.
                      >
                      > First its a beautiful kite, even just sitting on the floor :-)
                      >
                      > Secondly it has mesh drainage vents at the end of each rib so that
                      if you
                      > get water or sand in it, the water or sand moves to the center cell
                      and the
                      > drainage port easily. There are also velcro vents at the tips which
                      can
                      > drain water or sand.
                      >
                      > Thirdly the mesh on the inlet valves is gone so that you can reach
                      in and
                      > straighten the valves before prefilling. (Supposedly you can remove
                      the
                      > mesh on the mastairs too. Gives you better inflation)
                      >
                      > Fourth there are much fewer bridles than the mastair. Its really
                      amazing.

                      > Fifth, the new bag is very nice. It has padded shoulder straps and
                      a hip
                      > belt for comfortable carrying. It has a big strap across the back
                      where you
                      > can strap your board. It has a fold out pocket which you can use to
                      set
                      > your board into. It has two side pockets for extra stuff. It comes
                      in
                      > different colours for all the different sizes.
                      >
                      > Sixth, the new bar is very nice. Thinner than the old one. Colour
                      coded
                      > left and right. Colour coded line winders. Little neoprene socks
                      which
                      > cover the line winders while you are surfing so that you can't
                      catch any
                      > lines (it was easy to catch the leash with the old bars). Nice
                      depower
                      > system with the new quick release loop.
                      >
                      > Seventh, new anti twist lines at the kite. The old brake lines used
                      > twist after a while sailing. The new lines have a swivel which
                      elliminate
                      > twisting.
                      >
                      > Eighth, the butt valve has a little sock which you can pull out so
                      that the
                      > velcro won't shut itself.
                      >
                      > Ninth, new pulleys at the kite. Don't have any sharp edges which
                      can wear
                      > out lines.
                      >
                      > Tenth, manual with pictures and text explaining kite setup.
                      >
                      > All in all, I am very impressed. Now if the kite flys like others
                      have
                      > written it flys I will in heaven :-)
                      >
                      > Best regards,
                      >
                      > Marc
                      > GoExtreme.dk
                    • Ron Seydler
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 5, 2002
                        Dunno but Sunshine Coast Sailboard has them for sale. Maybe you could drop
                        Deiter (??) a call.

                        Ron

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 5, 2002
                          Does anyone have a url to info/pics on these kites???

                          Later
                          des

                        • Kitepower

[...]
                            * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                            *
                            *
                            *
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 5, 2002
                              I ride with a leash. I have tried once or twice without but I really hate
                              not having the leash. I loose my board all too often. Plus the water is
                              very cold here around 5 degrees and the less time i spend in the water the
                              better :-)

                              I have lost the board a couple of times due to leash failure and it was no
                              problem dragging upwind to the kite again. One time on the Speedair 12 and
                              one time on the speedair 7. Both times I was pretty overpowered so I was in
                              the depower loop both times. I did the lay the body bit. I have never tried
                              any other way. What else would you want to do?

                              By the way, the guys from Boom have sent me a vector 9 to try, so I will be
                              able to compare the warrior with the vector directly. The warrior is a 9.3
                              and the vector is a 9 so I assume that they will cover similar wind ranges.

                              Regards,

                              Marc
                              GoExtreme.dk

                              At 21:33 04/02/02 -0000, you wrote:
                              >Hey Flysurfer riders.
                              >
                              >Are you guys riding without a leash and doing the upwind body drag?
                              >
                              >Do you have to do the lay the body bit or can you just depower and
                              >get dragged upwind?
                              >
                              >Thanks
                              >
                              >Greg

                            • Marc Munzer
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 5, 2002
                                I forgot to mention that they have a new depower setup which elliminates
                                the problem with the depower line getting worn where it goes through the
                                bar. There is no more hole through the bar and the depower system is
                                attached to the boom with a webbing strap instead of two knots on the
                                depower line like before.

                                Marc
                                GoExtreme.dk

                                At 04:18 05/02/02 -0000, you wrote:
                                >they sound wicked so far
                                >i get mine in a week or 2
                                >i can't wait
                                >
                                >Dan Sheridan
                                >http://www.kitesnowboarding.net
                                >Kites,Gear,Lessons and Info
                                >North America's number 1 online
                                >gear shop for kitesnowboarders
                                >Kitesurfing gear too !!!
                                >Email: dan@...
                                >Phone: 416 818 6787

                              • Marc Munzer
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 5, 2002
                                  There was a little bit written on them in the first kitesurfing magazine I
                                  ever bought. Can't remember which issue or which magazine. But I haven't
                                  seen much of them since. Somebody I know bought one here in Denmark for
                                  under 200US. He wasn't particularily happy with it though as it wouldn't
                                  water relaunch. If I understood correctly, its an open foil with a bladder
                                  inside it. The idea was that the bladder would keep it floating forever,
                                  which it does, but once you get some water inside it, it won't relaunch
                                  even though it won't sink.

                                  Marc
                                  GoExtreme.dk
                                • Kitepower
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 5, 2002
                                    The kite I looked at with its sad owner, was a closed cell parafoil, it had
                                    2 large rectangular intakes, it was bridled with kevlar cored line. It has
                                    little canard flaps that the bridles attach to on the leading edge.
                                    I was very heavy for a 7.5M kite.
                                    I deliberately rolled it up in reverse to see how airtight it was - it
                                    wasn't at all!!
                                    I am not optimistic that this will be a happy test flight when he returns!
                                    :-(

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 5, 2002
                                      I have absolutely no idea...

                                      Honest.. :P

                                      Ron

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 5, 2002
                                        --- In kitesurf@y..., Marc Munzer <mmun@i...> wrote:

                                        snip
                                        > By the way, the guys from Boom have sent me a vector 9 to try, so I
                                        will be
                                        > able to compare the warrior with the vector directly. The warrior
                                        is a 9.3
                                        > and the vector is a 9 so I assume that they will cover similar wind
                                        ranges.

                                        > Regards,
                                        >
                                        > Marc
                                        > GoExtreme.dk

                                        Don't be surprised if the Vector 9.0 has less bottom end than the
                                        Warrior 9.3. The Vector turns slower and is a much thicker profile
                                        than the Warrior.

                                        I will be very interested in your comparison between the Vector and
                                        Warrior speed systems. A tip with using the Vector speed system,
                                        unless you have very very long arms you need to use the trim strap to
                                        get the full range. The travel on the Vector speed system is huge and
                                        all of it is effective.

                                        Greg