Re: Wipika & Naish CRAP?!?!?!

  • kitesnowboarder
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 31, 2002
      I am a retailer
      i haven't sold these kites, naish + wipika ( i will be selling
      wippikas now )
      naish are great, wipika are great
      so are slingshot and the others
      none fall apart now
      there was problems at the start of last year with a few makes but
      this year i think all companies are good
      anything you buy 2002 will be fine
      they probably don't sell em so they slagg em
      i don't know what it is in business that retailers hate each other
      i find i am friends with every retailer i know really, and this helps
      me
      if i don't have something in stock i can call on them to help and
      vice versa
      shops slag the products they don't sell and the shop down the block
      if we all worked together it would be much easier
      i regularly kite with other shop owners and it is great
      anything you buy in 2002 will be a good kite
      just pick a brand with a good price and good kite and go for it
      get lots of info and don't make a fast decision
      ask lots of questions on the net and local riders
      all 2002 tube kites IMO are going to be fine
      you are always going to do your own tweaking and small fixes bacause
      kiting is so hard on kites
      but the companies are making quality know
      get lots of info and buy the kite you feel the most people steer you
      towards
      if you are a total newbie get a low AR kite for better relaunches
      email me if you need any info also
      MEL, steve , dwight, andy and all the other retailers are honest and
      will steer you right
      along with the other members of this group
      we are a small family and will help you out
      good luck
      PS 1 foot snow dump today, tomorrow will be epic on the kitesnowboard
      Later

      Dan Sheridan
      www.kitesnowboarding.net
      Kites,Gear,Lessons and Info
      North America's number 1 online
      gear shop for kitesnowboarders
      Kitesurfing gear too !!!
      Email: dan@...
      Phone: 416 818 6787

      --- In kitesurf@y..., "bladeal_2000" <bladeal_2000@y...> wrote:
      > Wanted to order Wipika or Naish from kitesurf shop.They told me
      that both these kites are SH*T.Also that they tend to fall apart.They
      suggested to order a Cabrina,Slingshot,JOJO...What do you think?Need
      to know from the real world than retailers!!!!
    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 31, 2002
        Sounds like the shop you got that info from, only sells the brands they
        recommended.!!! :-))
        Naish kites are definitely not crap, neither is Wipika although I feel they
        have slipped behind the competition in terms of build quality in some
        models, Wipika are still using all the same seaming and construction methods
        that are known to be a cause of failure in some kites.
        Naish on the other hand never stop improving their kites, often not even
        announcing improvements.
        A simple thing I have noticed is the single row of stitching where the sail
        is attached to the struts, have a look at any kites built in the last 6
        months. Another is the way the webbing is enclosed between layers of cloth
        on the tips of the kite. Naish have constantly evolved their kites, methods
        of construction, constantly improving them in the areas of strength, weight
        and flight performance, as a fanatical kite company should!!! The new Aero
        is an awesome kite, just fly one, we have people that bought them a week
        ago, never kited before, and are going upwind, starting to jump and having
        NO hassles re-launching and handling the kite even though it is 4 lines! The
        R3 is a very stable, grunty kite now, and I know bulk amounts of folks who
        are having an awesome lot of fun on AR5's and ARX's.

        Cabrinha have been plagued by problems as any reader here will know.
        Slingshot are nice flying kites, with some improvements in construction,
        over their previous models. JoJo wets are foils aren't they, or do they have
        an inflatable now too?

        All the above will get you out there, but it is well known that some of the
        brands this shop is recommending have had (still having?) problems that
        would cause some people to call them crap too!! :-)

        This thread should give you an indicator, if it does not turn into a brand
        slagging match!! ;-)

        Cya and
        Goodwinds
        Steve McCormack
        http://www.kitepower.com.au
        mailto:sydney@...
        Open 7 days
        126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
        Phone +61293157894

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 31, 2002
          -
          Steve
          Were you teaching my brother Piers in Sydney?
          Fly High
          AirMan
        • Kitepower
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 31, 2002
            Yeah that was myself and a friend Jeremy Hurwitz, last year before we had
            our jetski, full time instructor and demo van.
            Where is Piers, I thought he bought a property here and was planning to live
            in Sydney?
            Have you tempted him over there?

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 31, 2002
              > Yeah that was myself and a friend Jeremy Hurwitz, last year
              before we had
              > our jetski, full time instructor and demo van.
              > Where is Piers, I thought he bought a property here and was
              planning to live
              > in Sydney?
              > Have you tempted him over there?

              I think Sydney was too far from home! He came here about
              november for 2 weeks kiting that was the last he tried, was
              getting upwind and starting a few small hops, since then he has
              become a ski bum and slave to the vodka bottle, can now be
              found residing in switzerland, me I prefer my little tropical island
              with lotsa wind and hot sun.

              Fly High
              Alex

              kitesurf-unsubscribe@e...>>>

              > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • vide72au
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 31, 2002
                As a total non-retailer with no bias, I can say that there really is
                not a huge difference between current 4 line inflatable kites.
                Sure there are subtle differences - but I don't think you could say
                that any one kite brand is CRAP without acknowledging that they
                are all a little crap at the same time (which they are not!).

                What I mean is, many of these kites are designed with the same
                software and made using exactly the same materials with
                almost identical contruction techniques.

                Wipika and Naish were here first, and as such they have the
                most experience in terms of R&D and understanding of
                contruction issues. Newer comers such as Slingshot have
                benefited because they can learn lessons from Wipika and
                Naish, and then come into the scene without needing to start
                from scratch.

                It seems to me that the main differences between inflatable kite
                brands is design (I mean visual) and then perhaps after sales
                service.

                All these companies are lloking to establish their point of
                difference - North coming in as the 'bullet proof' Rhino is the
                perfect example. Wipika are trying to continue to innovate with
                different line, bridle systems, and Naish keep making
                refinements (like every few months) to construction and
                materials.

                I have been kiting for nearly 3 years now, and have good friends
                who use Wipika, Naish, Slingshot, RRD, Cabrinha, North,
                AirRush and others. All of these guys love their kites equally!

                None of them are 'Crap'.

                I suspect the advice you have been given is purely based upon
                what that particular retailer can stock, has in stock, and the
                margins they make from the brands they are pushing. Obviously
                there are many retailers who can stock everything, and try to
                stock what they think works the best and then give unbiased
                advice. However, some of the smaller retailers and web based
                retailers simply cannot get access to some brands. I have heard
                of many situations where discount web operators have found
                their kite supply dissapears when they start under cutting the
                market. Maybe Naish and Wipika have learn't these lessons
                from their experience, and wont sell this guy kites? (This is just
                speculation of course).

                DT
              • gregwalshau
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 31, 2002
                  --- In kitesurf@y..., "bladeal_2000" <bladeal_2000@y...> wrote:
                  > Wanted to order Wipika or Naish from kitesurf shop.They told me
                  that both these kites are SH*T.Also that they tend to fall apart.They
                  suggested to order a Cabrina,Slingshot,JOJO...What do you think?Need
                  to know from the real world than retailers!!!!

                  Depends on what your question is:

                  Are Naish and Wipika kites crap? No more than any other brand.
                  Possibly less so.

                  Should you buy a Cabrinha or Slingshot? Sure. Why not.

                  Should you buy off this dealer? He sounds like a bit of a dick but if
                  you can get a decent deal and you think you'll get some after sales
                  service (chances are you'll need it no matter what brand you buy) and
                  you've got no-one else to buy from then go ahead. Most dealers sound
                  like dicks when they talk about products they don't sell. :o)

                  Greg
                • Kitepower
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 3, 2002
                    http://homepage.mac.com/njsloan/kitesurfing/PhotoAlbum6.html

                    I know it is a bit old now, but for those who want to see what kiteboarding
                    in Melbourne, Australia is like........
                  • aussie672002
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 9, 2002
                      --- In kitesurf@y..., "bladeal_2000" <bladeal_2000@y...> wrote:
                      > Wanted to order Wipika or Naish from kitesurf shop.They told me
                      that both these kites are SH*T.Also that they tend to fall apart.They
                      suggested to order a Cabrina,Slingshot,JOJO...What do you think?Need
                      to know from the real world than retailers!!!!

                      I agree with your dealer. I have wipika, Naish and Cabrina kites.
                      There is a big difference in the quality of Cabrina to the other two
                      brands.

                      I don't have a Slinshot jet but hearded they are very similar to
                      Cabrina's. I am considering getting a slinshot just because I heared
                      so much good feedback but I love the valve systems of cabrina's. It
                      is makes a big difference when in- and deflating.

                      From handling aspect most of the 2002 models are very good now.

                      hope that helps

                      Mark
                    • aerialdave
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 9, 2002
                        What a load of unmittigated CRAP!!!

                        There is nothing wrong with Naish kites!!

                        Obviously,your dealer is biased towards the most profit!!

                        -- In kitesurf@y..., "aussie672002" <aussie672002@y...> wrote:
                        > --- In kitesurf@y..., "bladeal_2000" <bladeal_2000@y...> wrote:
                        > > Wanted to order Wipika or Naish from kitesurf shop.They told me
                        > that both these kites are SH*T.Also that they tend to fall
                        apart.They
                        > suggested to order a Cabrina,Slingshot,JOJO...What do you think?
                        Need
                        > to know from the real world than retailers!!!!
                        >

                        > I agree with your dealer. I have wipika, Naish and Cabrina kites.
                        > There is a big difference in the quality of Cabrina to the other
                        two
                        > brands.
                        >
                        > I don't have a Slinshot jet but hearded they are very similar to
                        > Cabrina's. I am considering getting a slinshot just because I
                        heared
                        > so much good feedback but I love the valve systems of cabrina's. It
                        > is makes a big difference when in- and deflating.
                        >
                        > From handling aspect most of the 2002 models are very good now.
                        >
                        > hope that helps
                        >
                        > Mark
                      • peter_frank_dk
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 9, 2002
                          I would say the same - the Cabrinhas are not much better than other
                          brands (nor worse...)
                          Veeeeery biased IMO !

                          :-) Peter

                          --- In kitesurf@y..., "aerialdave" <aerialdave@y...> wrote:
                          > What a load of unmittigated CRAP!!!
                          >
                          > There is nothing wrong with Naish kites!!
                          >
                          > Obviously,your dealer is biased towards the most profit!!
                          >

                          > -- In kitesurf@y..., "aussie672002" <aussie672002@y...> wrote:
                          > > --- In kitesurf@y..., "bladeal_2000" <bladeal_2000@y...> wrote:
                          > > > Wanted to order Wipika or Naish from kitesurf shop.They told me
                          > > that both these kites are SH*T.Also that they tend to fall
                          > apart.They
                          > > suggested to order a Cabrina,Slingshot,JOJO...What do you think?
                          > Need
                          > > to know from the real world than retailers!!!!
                          > >

                          > > I agree with your dealer. I have wipika, Naish and Cabrina kites.
                          > > There is a big difference in the quality of Cabrina to the other
                          > two
                          > > brands.
                          > >
                          > > I don't have a Slinshot jet but hearded they are very similar to
                          > > Cabrina's. I am considering getting a slinshot just because I
                          > heared
                          > > so much good feedback but I love the valve systems of cabrina's.
                          It
                          > > is makes a big difference when in- and deflating.
                          > >
                          > > From handling aspect most of the 2002 models are very good now.
                          > >
                          > > hope that helps
                          > >
                          > > Mark
                        • Kitepower
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 9, 2002
                            I think the dealer is full of BS and the reason he says this is that he
                            probably cannot get either of the brands he is dissing!! :-)))
                            I've flown and used 2002 models from each manufacturer named, there are
                            still some issues with some Wipika models (jellyfishing AB's), none that I
                            am aware of with any Naish models, and the Aero is awesome! The 2002
                            Cabrinha's I've seen and flown are a big improvement over last year, but I
                            still do not like the way they are made, the tip battens wear holes in the
                            LE bladder very quickly, they still don't turn or depower as well as the
                            latest kites from Naish, Wipika, Airush, F-One, North, that I have flown.
                            Find another less biased dealer IMO!

                            Cya and
                            Goodwinds
                            Steve McCormack
                            http://www.kitepower.com.au
                            mailto:sydney@...
                            126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                            Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                            Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
                            * > Wanted to order Wipika or Naish from kitesurf shop.They told me
                            * that both these kites are SH*T.Also that they tend to fall apart.They
                            * suggested to order a Cabrina,Slingshot,JOJO...What do you think?Need
                            * to know from the real world than retailers!!!!
                            *
                            *
                            * <<<to unsubscribe send a message to kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>
                            *