Rhino 16 + 9.3 72KG 8knots-9m/s-Windforce 3

  • dutchkitesurfer
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2002
      I've sold al my 2000/2001 gear(Orly 186/Wipika Freeairs). Next week
      I'll be getting a 16 and 9.3 Rhino.
      My weight is 72 Kg. Level is intermediate/advanced and want to
      kitesurf(cruise) from 8knots-9m/s and up, like yesterday. But the
      board should still be controllable when riding the Rhino 16m
      at "full" power with my weight of "only" 72 Kilo. About half of the
      time I'm kitesurfing it's at sea(Northsea, Zeeland/Netherlands,
      mostly little swell(up to 2 meter))

      I've a difficult time in determining what seize the board should be,
      because my first board was to fast too big: BIC Airflow 215. The
      second was a lot better: Wipika Orly 186. But still too big.
      Especially using a kite in the seize of 13 to 16m. I'm worried that
      I will be getting a too big board again. Also I've heard that a 16m
      Rhino can be best be controlled by the board and not by depower/kite.

      At first instance I'm thinking of a Wipika Orly 175. Please give me
      your opinion/Idea's/Advice!!
    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2002
        Keep a big board for the light wind days, but you need to go way shorter, to
        be able to get the most out of those 2 kites.
        I am approx 70kg, I use a 1.41M Underground LT as my standard board, I only
        move onto something with more surface area if I cannot keep the lunchtray
        well powered.
        What short boards, with sharp rails, and very little volume can you get
        where you are.?

        Cya and
        Goodwinds
        Steve McCormack
        http://www.kitepower.com.au
        mailto:sydney@...
        Open 7 days
        126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
        Phone +61293157894

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2002

          I agree with steve.
          I ride a jimmy lewis shannon/dominatrix 138
          I'm also 72 kg and use my rhino 16 upto 15ish knots and I
          wouldn't dream of getting the 9.3 out unless it was 25+.
          With the small board and good edge control the power you can
          hold is unbelievable thus the height and hang time of jumps is
          just unreal.....I LOVE my North kites...I LOVE kitesurfing!

          Live to kite and kite to live
          Fly high
          AirMan

          kitesurf-unsubscribe@e...>>>

          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Kitepower
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 31, 2002
            Yeah 15/16knots and I am wanting a smaller kite too. The twelve would be
            best to step down to if the wind was 17 - 22, but I have used the 9.3 from
            15/16 knots up.
            Do you have a kite in between the 9.3 and the 16.0?

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 31, 2002
              > Yeah 15/16knots and I am wanting a smaller kite too. The
              twelve would be
              > best to step down to if the wind was 17 - 22, but I have used
              the 9.3 from
              > 15/16 knots up.
              > Do you have a kite in between the 9.3 and the 16.0?

              Hate to say it but i got the 12 as well, also the 7 but I've only had
              enough wind to use it the once. But we got 30 knots forecast for
              at least the next three days so maybe it'll come out. Today was
              going off check out the carribean

              Fly high
              AirMan

              > Cya and
              > Goodwinds
              > Steve McCormack
              > http://www.kitepower.com.au
              > mailto:sydney@k...
              > Open 7 days
              > Phone +61293157894

              8knots-9m/s-Windforce 3

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 31, 2002
                We have the same quiver!! I used the 7.5 last week, it took a bit of getting
                used to, did some absolutely out of control jumps, just managing to save my
                arse (read regain control of kite!!)before ploughing in. Decided it was not
                a good day or wind to try to learn spins!!
                Wind was 20 - 30+ knots with bullet gusts that would just pick me up a metre
                or so and let me back down a second later.

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
                  First: thanks for ythe quick answer. I'm getting a lot of useful
                  info!!
                  I can get almost any board, when I'm willing to travel or let it be
                  send to me.

                  On a german forum "http://www.kitesurfing-kiel.de/" I asked the same
                  question. A couple of advises came and told me to get a 150-160
                  board and about 37-38 wide. So about the same.

                  Because of these advices, I've allready decided to get a smaller
                  board instead of an Olry 175.

                  What specific board could you advice?
                  I will be kitesurfing at sea a lot, so the board should also be
                  excellent for smaller waves and still capable of going upwind
                  because of strong currents.

                  As I understand it's more about width and not length?
                  What about a "Wipika Eclipse 159" or an "Underground TT 159". Also
                  still to big? "LW 148 Pitbull" ?

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
                    I would be more inclined to the Underground 1.49TT or the Litewave pitbull,
                    as I am familiar with them.
                    We do not get a lot of the boards you can get over there.
                    The Underground 1.59 might be a better option as it will have decent bottom
                    end range, but if you can/prefer to sail well powered the 1.49 will suit the
                    conditions you speak about.

                    Cya and
                    Goodwinds
                    Steve McCormack
                    http://www.kitepower.com.au
                    mailto:sydney@...
                    126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                    Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                    Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
                    *
[...]
                    * >