[ksurf] Lake Isabella

  • Steve Bateman
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 1999
      Contrary to previous interest in kitesurfing at Lake Isabella in
      the SoCal region, I am no longer enthralled at the opportunity. I
      came across some graphs of 5 days of wind there:

      http://www.windcall.com/tools/archive/showsite/02?5

      Having the wind go from 5mph to over 20mph isn't worth the
      drive...

      Oh well.
      --
      Steve Bateman geokite at sprintmail dot com
      The best health info is at http://www.healthcentral.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30, 1999
        frit-@... wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=4666
        > Contrary to previous interest in kitesurfing at Lake Isabella in
        > the SoCal region, I am no longer enthralled at the opportunity. I
        > came across some graphs of 5 days of wind there:
        >
        > http://www.windcall.com/tools/archive/showsite/02?5
        >
        > Having the wind go from 5mph to over 20mph isn't worth the
        > drive...

        Depending how long the drive is I wouldn't write off Lake Isabella
        based on the Call of the Wind Graph. Based on the graphs 3 of the last
        5 days look good to me, if you have a big kite. I'm not sure how they
        determine there lull and gust values but the reported values are
        usually much more extreme than the acutual conditions, I think they
        might need to use a low pass filter on their raw data to get rid of the
        spikes and then calculate the min and max.

        For reference here is the plot from third Ave for the last 5 days, 8/29
        8/24 and my kite surfing experience there for the last 2.

        Sunday was gusty not too good for kite surfing but still OK. It was up
        and down alot but 3 of us were out having a good time. Eric with his 6m
        Kite Ski, Pat with his 5 and briefly overpowered on his 8.5 Wipika and
        me with my Quadrifoil XL. On my last run during a gust I got going to
        fast, had a crash and got to go for a nice swim, but it was still an OK
        day. The graph says it was 5-30 mph for the time we were sailing. It
        was gusty (probaly more like 10-30) and dificult but fun to sail in.

        Saturday was much better and steadier. Early in the afternoon Pat
        sailed with his 8.5 and me with my XXL. We both came in and went down
        a size latter in the afternoon. Saturday was a great day despite the
        large 10 -30 range given on the graph.

        I tried to go out Friday night around 5 pm. First with a XXXL on 150'
        lines, I did a few runs but didn't feel comfortable with the kite and
        the line length in the shifty winds. I rigged my XXL and 75' but
        couldn't get out of the wind shadow(SW is slighlty off shore at Third).
        Even though the wind range was tighter the drastic shifts in direction
        caused some problems. Pat got out earlier in the day with his 8.5 and
        had a good time.

        Call the wind is a great service but you have some experience at the
        sites to know how the reported winds relate to the actual winds, the
        mean values are usually pretty good, but the minimum and maximum values
        are typically not as extreme as indicated.

        All of Northern CA is going of today, most sites over 20 mph! Hope to
        get out of work early tonight.

        Fritz

        > Oh well.
        > --
        > Steve Bateman geokite at sprintmail dot com
        > The best health info is at http://www.healthcentral.com
      • neil durham
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 30, 1999
          I live in Bakersfield and i was wondering if you go to Isabella often ? I'm
          looking for a kite for that lake and I was thinking of a 6.3 c-quad would
          that be right? and do you know anyone trying to sell their kite ? well
          thanks and maybe i'll see you out on the lake my family has a 32 ft. kecth
          sail bout on that lake, so see you on the water..

          Neil

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 30, 1999
            I am also considering a trek up to Isabella. I have a 6.3 C Quad and
            an 8.5 C Quad. I am just not sure if it would be a friendly kite
            launching lake.

            Jeff

            original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=4705

          • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 30, 1999
              In a message dated 8/30/99 4:45:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
              jquick1@... writes:
              << I am also considering a trek up to Isabella. I have a 6.3 C Quad and
              an 8.5 C Quad. I am just not sure if it would be a friendly kite
              launching lake. >>
              Although I haven't Kitesurfed Izzy yet, I can tell you that it can have a 15
              to 20 mph wind range during the day - I have windsurfed their since '79, when
              we were ticketed for windsurfing on the lake-Breaking The Law.(!)
              I saw a beginner try to launch last Spring, a 5 meter Wipika in 20-30 mph
              winds (wrong!) and it just blew out of his hands,. But I think a 5.0 to 6.5
              would be a good bet in general. Wind blows over the auxiliary dam area from
              the South, ranging usually between 12-28 mph, some days are more consistent
              than others.
              You can see the wind gusts (or lulls) coming over your shoulder. So at least
              you can adjust your self if you pay attention.
              Launching areas can be tricky - I suggest if you use a 8.5 - 6.5 you may want
              to launch from a place called Boulder Gulch. Which is on the West Side of the
              lake near Hungry Gulch camp grounds. Not many windsurfers or jetskiers
              their.Good enough area to stretch out your lines.
              The Only other easy place you can stretch out your lines is up near the
              Auxilliary Dam, BUT you will be launching up wind from the Windsurfers -
              which is not fun for them or you. Most of the other spots have lots of Rocks
              and uneven beach obstacles(gullys,hills, bushes,etc) Also, try "The Ghetto"
              on the other side of the Boat Ramp on East Side through the parking lot - a
              little tricky, and windsurfers up wind. But beach enough to launch kite.
              Free Camping, just need a board sticker ($15-20?)
              Go to http://members.aol.com/CA2winsurf/Index.html and click on 5 Popular CA
              Windsurf Sites in Index area, for a map and more info.
              ALL LAKES IN THE WORLD WILL BE GUSTY. Ocean winds are far more steadier.
              This weekend is going to be a little cooler, and crowded with Labor Day
              people, BUT good winds expected.
              Scott
            • Steve Bateman
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 31, 1999
                LA2WNDSRF@... wrote:

                > You can see the wind gusts (or lulls) coming over your shoulder. So at least
                > you can adjust your self if you pay attention.

                Can you elaborate on this?

                Thanks

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 1 6:22 PM
                  In a message dated 8/31/99 5:43:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                  geokite@... writes:

                  << You can see the wind gusts (or lulls) coming over your shoulder. So at
                  least
                  > you can adjust your self if you pay attention.
                  Can you elaborate on this?
                  Thanks >>
                  Hi Steve-
                  Darker water coming at you caused by wind gusts (stronger wind)versus shiny
                  water with no gusts(lesser or no wind) on them. I'm sure you've seen the
                  movement of wind over water before. Maybe its an experience thing. But you'll
                  'see' the gusts coming or going as the case maybe. Otherwise, consider it an
                  educational point for you to concentrate on, it will help you handle the
                  'gusty wind' blews(sic)!
                  Good luck!
                  Scott