new Advance kite?

  • Bart van Oers
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2002
      Hi Everyone,

      I stumbled across a picture of what looks like a new kite from Advance.
      You can find it at:
      http://www.advance-kites.com/sitengine.php3?photogallery/view-en.pic=/photog
      allery/pics/gallery02/04.jpg
      Question for Advance dealers / distributors is this a new kite? Or is it
      only the Rhea, looked upon from the side?

      Looks like its has a thick profile, low AR and lot's of curve...
      Kinda a like an Arc with bridle...

      Kind regards,

      Bart
    • Extreme Kites Distributing Inc.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2002
        the pictures is the Rhea 14m taken from the side. you can see the new kite
        coming out shortly on my website at: http://www.extremekites.com/index1.html

        the Viper ( 2 line foil ) and Diablo (4 line foil, with depower like
        inflatables)

        At 08:52 PM 1/2/2002 +0100, you wrote:
        >Hi Everyone,
        >
        >I stumbled across a picture of what looks like a new kite from Advance.
        >You can find it at:
        >http://www.advance-kites.com/sitengine.php3?photogallery/view-en.pic=/photog
        >allery/pics/gallery02/04.jpg
        >Question for Advance dealers / distributors is this a new kite? Or is it
        >only the Rhea, looked upon from the side?
        >
        >Looks like its has a thick profile, low AR and lot's of curve...
        >Kinda a like an Arc with bridle...
        >
        >Kind regards,
        >
        >Bart
        >

        >Support your local kitesurf association !

        Extreme Kites Distributing Inc.
        Rich Lui
        W: www.extremekites.com
        E: info@...
        T: 604 841 0977
        F: 604 525 4820
      • gregwalshau
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2002
          Surely you don't think we're going to let you get away with putting a
          link to a web site and a bit of PR blurb do you? :0) Details my boy.
          We want details!

          How does the safety system on the Viper work for a 2-line foil?

          How many lines go to the bar on the Diablo and what is their
          function? ie. How do you operate the depower system and the brake
          etc? (You realise of course that the Vector has a paraglider-style
          speed system which pulls the A-lines down about 20cm and the B-lines
          proportionally to keep the profile constant throughout.)

          The construction of kites is also becoming more relevant. What sort
          of build up is used in the Viper and the Diablo? Straight seams?
          Glued? 3-step zig-zag? Any external seams? A combination? Diagonal
          ribs?

          Thanks

          Greg

          --- In kitesurf@y..., "Extreme Kites Distributing Inc." <info@e...>

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
            at the present time i can only offer you this: ( see below )
            I still havent recieved the demo kites yet, but i will post more
            information when i find out. btw text info is what Advance sent me. also if
            you're wondering NO the Advance CD Rom doesnt have information on the new
            kites, its just a promotional CD ROm with video clips of their paragliders
            and Rhea in action. still an excellent FREE cd to grab if you can.

            >How does the safety system on the Viper work for a 2-line foil?

            dunno, havent seen it yet

            >How many lines go to the bar on the Diablo and what is their
            >function?

            from the blurred photo they sent me, the chicken loop lines go to the A
            lines Power lines.

            >ie. How do you operate the depower system and the brake
            >etc? (You realise of course that the Vector has a paraglider-style
            >speed system which pulls the A-lines down about 20cm and the B-lines
            >proportionally to keep the profile constant throughout.)
            >
            >The construction of kites is also becoming more relevant. What sort
            >of build up is used in the Viper and the Diablo? Straight seams?
            >Glued? 3-step zig-zag? Any external seams? A combination? Diagonal
            >ribs?

            Advance from one day, as always used glued trailing edges, with mylar
            dacron for reinforcement. Zig Zag stitching.
            I'll have to look at the Advance IO kites again, but its the same contruction.

            Viper:

            Viper 6m2-8m2-11m2 break out!

            The viper has been especially designed to satisfy the demands of riders who
            practice kitesurfing on wakeboards.
            With the viper, you only have to concentrate on the free style figures, the
            jumps and the radical moves.

            This wing, which is easily steered with two lines, is both very stable and
            very easy to manoeuvre.
            Because of its ease of 2 line steering and its sound behaviour, the viper
            is in lower wind range also suitable for beginners:
            - Its auto-stable shape ensures an exceptional ‘zenithal shape’ in
            every situation

            - The system of «turbo» bridles allows it to be almost as
            manoeuvrable as a 4 line wing

            When riding, the viper has no problem capturing strong gusts, goes to the
            extremes of the window and never closes.
            Benefiting for the experience of ADVANCE in the area of marine wings, the
            viper is also equipped with the latest innovations from the
            ADVANCEdevelopment:
            - Sewn/glued seams guarantee perfect impermeability and allow
            100% relaunching.
            - Guttering allows water and sand to run away.
            - Velcro on wing allows wing to be packed away more quickly.
            - Efficient safety system allows rapid draining of power from the wing.

            The viper is supplied with 2 plus 1 lines and a small diameter bar for
            better control of the wing.

            Availability in the shops: spring 2002

            Diablo:

            DIABLO 6m2-8.5m2-13m2

            Developed by our designer and our top riders, DIABLO is equipped with an
            innovation, which will be momentous in the history of kitesurfing: it is
            the first ram-air kite with a true depower system.
            Thanks to an ingenious system, situated below the bridles, now it is not
            only the trailing edge, which is affected by the brakes but also the wing’s
            whole profile. Thus, the depower-actions are more reactive. This has huge
            consequences:

            - The wing has a larger range of usage
            - The excess of power is easily drained away in a more effective manner
            - The depower-bar is simple to operate, similar to other wings on the
            market
            - The wing goes further to the edge of the window for better control
            and comfort in steering

            The DIABLO combines the depower-advantages to the usual ADVANCE ones:

            - Shorter preparation time (no pre-inflation, no manual inflation)
            - 100% re take off in all situations
            - developmental finesse
            - comfortable steering and navigation
            - excellent finishing

            With an aspect ratio of 4.3, the DIABLO is aimed at very proficient riders
            who do not wish to sacrifice comfort of use at the altar of performance.

            The DIABLO is supplied with:
            - Small-diameter depower-bar
            - Set of the well known ADVANCE Dyneema Competition Lines
            - Security-leash with wristband
            - Transportation bag
            User manual

          • claudio_ehr
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
              Well Richard,

              There is some real nonsense you write, even if it's advance promo-
              text (or because of that fact..) Well, you also might just not have
              known..

              The advance kites are for sure not the first foil with real depower,
              that changes the kite's angle of attack (and not only apply more or
              less brake line input):

              In fact, the boom vector was the first foil-kite that had a system
              offering that possibility.
              One of the boom guys, a french rider of boom, is often watched doing
              his testing and training sessions by the advance guys. I met him in
              france and i have seen them shooting fotos.

              It's good that finally some serious foil brands offer real depower,
              advance may be a good choice, but boom brought the innovative part.
              Advance found a similar solution, they use small rods and a pulley, I
              have seen that about 3 months ago in the south of france. Their
              system works ok but they had tangling problems, i hope they solved
              that in the meanwhile.

              BTW:
              the Viper's "auto-stable shape" ensuring "an exceptional `zenithal
              shape' in every situation"
              sounds like copying the stable profile of the Vector.

              "Guttering allows water and sand to run away." just another copy of
              the boom thing. boom offers drains since they build kites.

              Tthe following things concerning the diablo sound like they were
              written for the vector:

              > - The wing has a larger range of usage
              > - The excess of power is easily drained away in a more
              effective manner
              > - The depower-bar is simple to operate, similar to other
              wings on the
              > market
              > - The wing goes further to the edge of the window for better
              control
              > and comfort in steering
              >

              > The DIABLO combines the depower-advantages to the usual ADVANCE
              ones:

              > - Shorter preparation time (no pre-inflation, no manual
              inflation)
              > - 100% re take off in all situations
              > - developmental finesse
              > - comfortable steering and navigation
              > - excellent finishing

              :-))

              Funny.

              Ok, have a look at the boom site, they show their innovations.
              http://www.boom-kites.com is their address.

              I do not work for them, I am a happy customer and from some mail
              exchange I know some of the guys.

              Best regards

              Claudio
            • Extreme Kites Distributing Inc.
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
                wtf .. it was Advance text only ... where does it say "advance was the
                first foil kite to have depower system" or "advance was the only depower
                foil kite"

                someone on this group asked for info .. and i posted it, now i remember why
                i left

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 5, 2002
                  wrote:
                  > wtf .. it was Advance text only ... where does it say "advance was
                  the
                  > first foil kite to have depower system" or "advance was the only
                  depower
                  > foil kite"
                  >
                  > someone on this group asked for info .. and i posted it, now i
                  remember why
                  > i left

                  Don't be so sensitive, no one was attacking you personally. :o)

                  The Advance web site says the Diablo is the first kite with a true
                  trimming system. This is somewhat an exaggeration. Claiming firsts
                  when all you're doing is putting bits of rope through pulleys or the
                  end of a kitebar is a bad idea. I guarantee a home builder has done a
                  variation of every setup that can be imagined.

                  To be completely accurate, I designed and built a depowering system
                  for my ConceptAir that pulled A and B lines proportionally 2 years
                  ago. It worked fine but I switched to Naish AR5 and lost interest in
                  foils until recently. All of these systems are minor variations on a
                  paraglider speed system.

                  Regards

                  Greg
                • Stefano Rosso
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 7, 2002
                    actually SOL kites have had this for over a year... before i had even heard
                    of Boom kites... There is no prize for being first anyway... most people have
                    fudged with this idea many years ago...