ARC Facts: True or False

  • z-1.geo
    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 1, 2002
      ARC Facts: True or False
      Maybe we can have some fun here, and educate as well.

      ARCs are hard to setup. False
      It is very basic, easy to do and understand. Don't let people scare
      you into thinking it's some kind of complex rocket science. Even an
      idiot can do it.

      ARCs can hurt your sex life. True
      People have been known to fall in love with these kites. If left
      unchecked this can cause the female companion to become jealous,
      resulting in subsequent restrictions placed on testosterone release
      privileges. I personally know people who were caught in bed with
      their ARC!

      ARCs are inherently hard and dangerous to launch. False
      You can launch an ARC safely and easily from directly downwind, or
      more toward the side of the window just like an inflatable. Granted
      you need to allow the kite to inflate to do a side window launch, and
      you can't launch it as close to the edge of the window as an
      inflatable, but it works just fine with minimal practice.

      ARCs can make you feel better about yourself. True
      There is an ARC brotherhood that will support you here, thus
      increasing your self esteem when you are attacked by Steve.

      ARCs don't relaunch as well as inflatables. False
      Just ask Mel about this. He has probably relaunched an ARC more times
      than anyone here (he sails in very gusty conditions), and he has a
      good reference point to compare it to, having used inflatables for
      some time. The truth is that most of us are novices in relaunching an
      ARC because they usually don't end up in the water. They usually end
      up waiting for you at zenith if you keep the bar horizontal after a
      crash.

      ARCs can solve all your problems. False
      Only people who know it all can do that.

      ARCs are not a good kite for beginners. False
      I can't think of a better kite to start out on. The auto zenith
      feature, non-luffing, ease of use, relaunchability, and total
      depowering if you let go of the bar are big big advantages when just
      starting out.

      ARCs are better than any other kite on the market. True
      Just thought I would test to see if anyone was still reading this
      stuff. Who knows, it's a stupid statement. I think they are great
      kites that are easy to use, have high quality construction, are great
      performers, and are a lot fun to fly.

      ARCs are dangerous around sheep. False
      Only Kiwis are dangerous around sheep.

      OK enough for now. I'm just kidding with respect to my Kiwi friends,
      and to Steve. If you are actually interested in an ARC, fly one. I
      recently sold an older ARC I had to an inflatable guy, and here is
      what he said after using the kite after only one outing. "Why do
      people fly inflatables?" He loves the ARC, and he had the same
      reaction that I did, coming from an inflatable background myself.
      I'm not saying there is anything wrong with inflatables, I may even
      own one again some day, it's just that there are definitely kites
      like the ARC that are worth checking out before you make a decision
      by way of advertisements, and even the posts here. Try one first.
      Some people would beg to differ with me I'm sure, but I think Mel is
      a good example of an unbiased case study on going from an inflatable
      to the ARC. And for all those that have a sense of humor, feel free
      to add to the list of comical things an ARC can or can't do for you.

      Mark
    • callum_downie
      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 10, 2002
        Ok, I'll go with your story. Your source sounds slightly better than
        mine.

        I would believe it about the guy being rescued's attitude to, we've
        been getting some real dickheads on the beach up at
        collaory/narrabeen this holiday break...

        At least it wasn't a kiter killed...

        Later
        Callum

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "rohan_vanner" <rohan_vanner@y...> wrote:
        > My source on the Long Reef incident is that a guy jumped off the
        > cliffs at Dee Why to kill himself - and succeeded, the body was
        > spotted by a paraglider then all the cops and ambo's turned up.
        >
        > When I was packing up I saw a kite drifting down to Dee Why from
        > Longie. Don't know what happened but the guy was eventually rescued
        > by 3 local surfers who were pretty pissed at his attitude.
        Apparently
        > the guy was too concerned about the condition of his kite to thank
        > the surfers or pay any attention to the commotion he caused, the
        cops
        > and amobo's had turned up again.
        >
        > This info came from the surf report the next day.
        >
        > --- In kitesurf@y..., "callum_downie" <callum@d...> wrote:
        > > Aparently this guy at LongReef wasn't so lucky.
        > > I have been trying to get info from another source to confirm it
        > but
        > > have been unable to and they havn't printed anything in the local
        > > paper. Aparently he was flying a foil and somehow ended up in
        his
        > > lines and drowned. Though he did fly there on sunday, at which
        > time
        > > the beach was actually offically closed due to the extreme
        > Bluebottle
        > > situation...
        > >
        > > This is only comming from one semi reliable person, he said he
        saw
        > > the rexcue helicopter and went down to the beach to have a look,
        > > people there said it was a parraglider. But then when he was
        > speaking
        > > to a friend he said it was a kiter. So who knows.
        > >
        > > Later,
        > > Callum
        > >

        > > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Kitepower" <kitepower@b...> wrote:
        > > > No, but there was a bad one at Botany about 2 weeks ago, a guy
        > > busted his
        > > > femur and a toe or two, he is OK, he was very lucky not to be
        > > killed, and
        > > > even luckier that Christian Le Clare was there, who has very
        good
        > > first aid
        > > > training.
        > > >

        > > > Cya and
        > > > Goodwinds
        > > > Steve McCormack
        > > > http://www.kitepower.com.au
        > > > mailto:sydney@k...
        > > > 126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
        > > > Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
        > > > Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic

        Ben