[ksurf] Re: ARC 630 vs Naish AR3 7m - Arcs will kick your arse

  • monkeyair
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2002
      --- In kitesurf@y..., "gregwalshau" <Greg.Walsh@b...> wrote:
      > --- In kitesurf@y..., "monkeyair" <traigtrumbo@e...> wrote:
      >
      > snip
      >

      > Arcs could be the best kite ever but you Arc guys have to sort out a
      > safe and reliable way of launching the Arc for all levels of
      > experience and all conditions. There's multiple ways and they're not
      > all easy and not all safe. The most commonly touted way of launching
      > an Arc (downwind, butt-hole pre-inflation, hooked in, pull the
      > brakes) is not safe and not easy.
      You nailed it there. Think Mel/Mark and a few other touched on the
      launching subject in past posts. Experience and to a greater degree,
      common sense is paramount. The method you mentioned can be safe and
      easy if properly taught. (correct brake tension of utmost importance)
      The (almost edge of window launch works well as long as the kite is
      inflated well. (John M favored method even with huge stacks of kites
      and rubber chickens) Proper use of the chicken loop and strap is
      something that should be mastered in the lesson prior to teaching this
      though. The only instance where the original launch you mentioned gets
      hairball, is in super strong winds with an untrained newbie. Rear
      lines aren't tight enough/ not enough pre inflation and kite whips up
      to Zenith at Mach 10 and yanks said beginner down the beach and into
      the powerlines. Good for dermabrasion/sea gull food and bad for
      confidence to be sure. We have launched in every wind condition with
      this type of straight downwind launch and not moved more than a foot
      down the beach. The trick is contol of the kite with brake leader
      tension and not allowing it to ever climb more than a few feet at a
      time and never letting it climb above 30 degrees on the horizon with
      out adequate inflation, even in light winds. The edge of window launch
      will probably build in popularity. It is so easy to launch and land
      the arc straight down wind it is probably the most used methods by
      the self taught guys. Most common mistakes. Inadequate inflation and
      relative brake line length from what we have seen. "We" is a couple of
      instructors I work with.

      > Mr Lynn also needs to pull his digit out of his fundamental orifice
      > and deliver the lines and bar in a fit state for use. Length set,
      > sleeving sewn, decent trim adjuster, no tangle prone knots.
      Wouldn't that be nice. They offer all the stuff on the brochure.
      Just need to get it all together. Not sure if it is actually him or
      his marketing guys in charge of that after the actual kite design/R@D/
      building. It is hard to bag on PL though. I do have that cardboard
      cut out of PL. Steve warned me that it might be a fake, inferior
      cardboard picture of his stunt double. Come to think of it, the guy in
      my cardboard cut out looks a lot like Robin Williams. But he is
      wearing the goofy hat. The guy ROCKS!! PL got Robin Williams to pose
      for him..Unreal Robin Williams as the comedic kite designers monologue
      double. That explains the PL news letters.

      > All inflatables are setup, launched and landed in exactly the same
      > way in all conditions. (True the neat nose flop landing is more an
      > experienced manouver). This makes them super simple and safe.
      Luffing
      > while in flight and bladder life is another issue and it seems that
      > the manufacturers are addressing that.
      >
      > Similarly, most decent foils can be launched easily and safely using
      > one simple method. Landing elegantly can be a problem but it's still
      > relatively safe.
      Yeah, the third line drop or fold in half form of foil landing
      (wallend/mossi) is quite clever. The brake the kite down on the back
      lines is very easy on an arc though. Are you refering to the launch
      of the foils, pre inflated at the edge of the window? Cause straight
      down wind launching with any foil is much more difficult than a
      properly braked arc in my experience. A four lined Advance Io with
      adequate brake tension allowed a semi slow launch as did the Flysurfer
      with the brakes all the way on, but all the two and three line set ups
      on the Wallend, Mosquittos, Guns, Blades, Waterfoils and Jo Jos
      straight down wind were sprint on the sand maneuvers with out adequate
      training. We will work on more commonality between areas in teaching
      procedures for arc launch and landings. The best would be to teach
      every method to every student. Thanks Greg. Have Fun. Traig.

      > Greg
    • theflyingtinman
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2002
        --- In kitesurf@y..., "igsmith" <igsmith@y...> wrote:
        > Here's a concern I have about ARCs and foils in general (coming
        from
        > a rider of inflatables)...in the last two weeks I have seen it
        happen
        > three times that riders have broken lines (twice with foils once
        with
        > a wipi). If you are close to shore or in shallow water, no problem
        > with either foil or inflatable. BUT if you are far away from land,
        > with an inflatable you can wind your lines and then use the kite as
        > sail/life preserver to get you back to shore (in on-shore
        > conditions). With ARCs/Foils, it seems you are swimming with a very
        > wet and not very buoyant kite.
        >
        > Has anyone had to do the swim far with an ARC? If so, how do they
        do
        > it, especially if you use a low-volume board/wakeboard?

        I did a 45 minute swim one day with a downed 1120 when the wind died
        completely and I arrived at shore with a lot of air in the bag - it
        had only taken on a couple of liters of water.

        Steve T.