Repair Tip

  • gregwalshau
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2002
      Hi All

      I'm doing some repairs and messing about with DIY kites and stuff. I
      picked up the end of a reel of thread from a sailmaker. There's about
      1000 metres left of a 2500 metre bobbin. It's way cheaper than buying
      a whole reel and you gt a nice lecture from a crusty old sailmaker
      about crap sail construction methods.

      The thread is bonded polyester. UV stabilised and tougher than you
      are. If you wrap it around you finger and try to break the thread
      you'll probably cut through your finger first.

      It's called:

      V46 POLY DABOND 2000
      NAT/WHITE

      V46 is the thickness. Don't go too thin. Thin thread will cut through
      your fabric. Don't go too thick it will jam up your sewing machine.
      Don't use upholstery thread it sucks.

      DABOND 2000 is a brand name. Any brand will do.

      NAT/WHITE is the colour. You can also get black.

      DABOND 2000 is made by Heminway & Bartlett (no g in Heminway) which
      is part of Coats Barbour and distributed by Bainbridge International.

      Regards

      Greg