Ironic story.

  • throb_list
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 30, 2001
      Ok so heres a story for your all.

      I bought a reel leash, after being told that this will protect my
      head from the board and it seems to do that very well.

      One problem however is that I found that with big falls the leash
      itself comes undone from teh harness... simple thing to fix, I
      attached a seperate rope from the reel mechanism to my harness, so
      that if the reel came off, this rope would keep the reel attached to
      me and hence to board attached.

      Anyway today I had a reel (excuse the pun) big fall and a really hard
      yank from the kite. Firstly the reel came off the harness, so
      my "anchor" rope held it to me anyway.Then thick bungee rope that is
      on the board itself snapped, the reel came flying back to me and it
      turns out that the anchor rope I used is exactly long enough for the
      reel to get me in the sweet spot in the back of the head.

      So then what I can tell you all is that the reel leash does protect
      you from the board.... but careful, that brass connector is very much
      harder than your head.

      My apologies to everyone out at longreef today.. the school of
      hammerheads that appeared were probably attracted by my blood!!!

      Cheers

      Anthony
    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 30, 2001
        Hows the head, Throbbing?
        Funny story, I hope you were not cut too badly?

        Cya and
        Goodwinds
        Steve McCormack
        http://www.kitepower.com.au
        mailto:sydney@...
        126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
        Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
        Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
        *
[...]
        * Support your local kitesurf association !
        *
        *
        * <<<to unsubscribe send a message to kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>
        *
        * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        *
        *
      • callum_downie
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 30, 2001

          > My apologies to everyone out at longreef today.. the school of
          > hammerheads that appeared were probably attracted by my blood!!!

          Ouch....
          Speacking of sharks, if anyone flying on the sydney coast has a
          phobia of sharks, it could be a good time for you to stay out of the
          water, Sharks were spotted in the swimming area (inside the break) at
          narrabeen/collaroy on christmas day - hey they just wanted some
          christmas lunch... Also there has been a remarkeble amount of fish
          activity of the coast which generaly means sharks. If you see a whole
          lot of birds on the water, stay the hell away from them!!

          Later,
          Callum
        • kiteboard2000
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
            --- In kitesurf@y..., "throb_list" <captain1@i...> wrote:

            > I bought a reel leash, after being told that this will protect my
            > head from the board and it seems to do that very well.
            >
            > One problem however is that I found that with big falls the leash
            > itself comes undone from teh harness...

            New ones have a solid, sewn loop (no Velcro).

            > Then thick bungee rope that is
            > on the board itself snapped,

            No change there on the new ones, so make sure you have the little
            thin line (tied to the board) routed AS IT COMES FROM THE FACTORY!
            It's rather hard to describe (maybe I should try to get a photo
            uploaded to my group file), but it's like a lark's head around the
            bungee, just above the rubber-dipped bungee connection point "hog-
            rings". That way the tension of the line bites down into the bungee,
            instead of trying to separate the connection rings.

            Mel
          • Kitepower
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
              It is just a larkshead.
              I have had no trouble with my reel leash, but I have not had as massive a
              wipeout as I see some people do.
              I think if they make the leash too strong something else will break, maybe
              you. So long as the mechanism or casing does not crap itself.
              Some people are capable of breaking any type of commercial leash I've seen,
              especially big people.

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001

                > It is just a larkshead.

                Okay, I guess technically it IS a lark's head, but without a photo
                it's quite easy to loop it wrong (with both loops going around the
                bungee on only ONE side of the "hog rings", or with the free ends
                going over the cross-loop instead of under - see what I mean by "hard
                to describe"?).

                Mel

              • Kitepower

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 1, 2002

                    > New ones have a solid, sewn loop (no Velcro).

                    Made a modification to mine that involves another velcro strap going
                    around the original one - orthogonal to it.

                    > > Then thick bungee rope that is
                    > > on the board itself snapped,
                    >
                    > No change there on the new ones, so make sure you have the little
                    > thin line (tied to the board) routed AS IT COMES FROM THE FACTORY!
                    > It's rather hard to describe (maybe I should try to get a photo
                    > uploaded to my group file), but it's like a lark's head around the
                    > bungee, just above the rubber-dipped bungee connection point "hog-
                    > rings". That way the tension of the line bites down into the
                    bungee,
                    > instead of trying to separate the connection rings.

                    Naa would not help..... my bungee rope snapped where the brass leash
                    hook connects... but as steve says better that breaks than somethign
                    else.
                  • kiteboard2000
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 2, 2002
                      --- In kitesurf@y..., "throb_list" <captain1@i...> wrote:

                      > Naa would not help..... my bungee rope snapped where the brass
                      leash
                      > hook connects...

                      So the bungee material itself failed, & the "hog-ring" connection
                      point remained intact?!

                      Mel