KITESURFERS MAKE HISTORY!!!

  • Rick Iossi
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 25, 2001
      Five guys set out to make history. After over NINETY-SEVEN MILES and EIGHT
      AND ONE HALF HOURS of continuous kitesurfing without any breaks, three
      riders made it to the destination, after dark, with wind 25 to 30 knots and
      seas 15 foot or more. We can all be very proud of these riders. They set
      out to do something never before attempted and ended up accomplishing much
      more last Friday, December 21, 2001. It was a severe trial against very
      adverse seas; high winds, dehydration and cold, but they did it! They are
      the first to cross from Key West to Cuba and have set a new kitesurfing
      distance World Record!!!

      One sadly fell out due to the misfortune of tearing his kite in half
      following a jump. This happened just before the start of the crossing when
      the kite hit a passing sports fishing boat. Oliver was unlucky but if he
      made the crossing even by boat, his trial was far from over. Reality
      visited the riders early on but it was not done by a long shot in giving
      harsh lessons that day.

      During the crossing another rider passed out and was recovered unconscious,
      face down in the water caused by the effects of severe dehydration and the
      extreme exertions of the crossing. This rider had just returned from a trip
      to South America where he came down with food poisoning and all the nasty
      effects. He was still game and drove it to the edge and beyond. Most of us
      would have said the hell with it; I am staying home but not Paul Menta. Even
      riding it out on a fifty-foot catamaran after being rescued from the water,
      his ordeal wasn't over. The vessel pitch poled in the 15 to 20 ft. seas and
      flung everyone through the air hitting hard into the deck. Paul came up
      with a dislocated shoulder for the experience. He was later airlifted out
      from Cuba and is now doing better.

      So Neal Hutchinson, Fabrice Collard and Kent Marinkovic made it all the way.
      I have yet to talk with Fabrice and Kent but got some details from Neal's
      experience and I am impressed, lets say floored, to say the least. Neal, at
      160 #, was overpowered on a 13.5 m kite was forced to leave his kite near
      neutral most of the way of the crossing (almost nine hours!). He basically
      said he was "tea bagged" most of the way, only 97 miles! When gusts hit he
      was yanked skyward 10 to 15 ft. or more only to slam into the water on
      occasion. He had a camel pack for fluids but despite that he developed an
      overpowering thirst a few hours into things. He concluded well into things
      that his camel pack had ripped open and filled with salt water. So he had
      been drinking salt water for hours making him a canidate for dehydration and
      passing out. The navigation of the support craft was a bit off so the riders
      ended up shredding for about two to three additional hours into darkness to
      make their destination. Neal told me that during the crossing he was
      thinking "he must be nuts", "what was he doing here" as he was tea bagged
      and his legs repeatedly gave out. He said he thought of his family, friends
      and kitesurfers that were pulling for him and he would go on. He told me
      that he was going to make it to Cuba "on his board or in a body bag!" For
      any of us who have worked to exhaustion at sea before, we can only start to
      relate to what Neal and the others went through. Only they did it for
      almost nine hours and nearly 100 miles in heavy seas and high winds. For me
      this is one of the most incredible aspects of this effort. It seems that it
      was will alone that got them there with all of the skill and conditioning
      only helping. They all have injuries for their efforts, some more severe
      than others but they made it, which is what counts. The insults weren't
      over even coming into to harbor. As the sun had set and no searchlights
      were available the riders held light sticks to help everyone keep track of
      them. Neal's hand became too tired to hold his light stick and the control
      bar, so he put the stick in his mouth. So first he had to drink seawater
      then he got a mouthful of red light stick fluid!

      All these guys are heroes in my book and a great credit to the sport of
      kitesurfing and determination. They include:

      Neal Hutchinson
      Fabrice Collard
      Kent Marinkovic
      Paul Menta
      Oliver Butsch

      It was all put together by Gilles d'Andrieux with some major support from
      Red Bull. Red Bull proves yet again to be a strong supporter of the sport of
      kitesurfing along with new and exciting things. A big thanks to Gilles and
      Red Bull for bring all this about.

      Thanks to everyone and congratulations guys on your New World Record! I look
      forward to reading and hearing more of the account of this incredible
      crossing. If I the other riders consent, I will post more about their
      individual thoughts and experiences during this record crossing.

      Rick Iossi

    • Jorge Madden
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 26, 2001
        Hi Kiters around the Globe!

        I want to share with you my impressions about this kite-travel and about Red
        Bull. First of all, congratulations to the riders for achieving a dream.

        If it was as you are telling, this was dangerous, and i'm quite disappointed
        with that. I think it's crazy to expose to dehydratation and all other
        dangers without any caution. If you organize such a crossing, you must think
        on safety first... you must be wrong with what you are telling, i can't
        realize they were so temerary.

        Now i want to talk about Red Bull in Spain, and ask the organizers of this
        crossing about the kind of help this company gave them. I'm the organizer of
        the Tenerife-Gran Canaria crossing, a 38 miles travel between the two
        biggest Canary Islands. I'm searching for sponsors who help with the tiny
        amount of money necessary to do it in the right way, but nobody seems to be
        interested!!! (surprising..) Red Bull told me that they spend enough on
        kitesurfing in Spain with the organization of the Red Bull Tarifa event and
        that they aren't interested in the event... so, is Red Bull really a xtreme
        sports partner, or is it all about hard and cold marketing?

        Jorge Madden - Canary Islands

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 26, 2001
          Don't lie the people any more...
          Kiters, jorgue is a spanish child that use to sell kites at double
          its prize, he tells the people that he would send almost new
          condition kites, and afterwards he only send ols and repaired kites,
          but with huge prize. he use to sell kites without warranty, and many
          other things
          So, jorge, what the hell do you want this money for? is it really for
          the crossing? I'm doubting it...
          Whats fuck are you imaging now?
          Not all the people are like your spanish clients
          Good luck with your new cheat

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Jorge Madden
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 26, 2001
            Please moderator, help me with the intimidation and continous attacks from
            this user of the group!!

            Get rid of people like this! We don't wan't such stupids in the group!

            Jorge Madden - jorge@...
          • Kitepower
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 26, 2001
              Jorge I think you are way out on a limb here, Red Bull just put money and
              time into a nearly 100 mile crossing, and you are slagging off at them for
              not rushing to you with mega bucks for your 38 mile crossing?
              Get REAL!
              Red Bull is one company who has put the money out for kiteboarding,
              regardless of whether you like their one product!

              Cya and
              Goodwinds
              Steve McCormack
              http://www.kitepower.com.au
              mailto:sydney@...
              126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
              Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
              Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
[...]
              * _________________________________________________________________
              * Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail.
              * http://www.hotmail.com
              *
              *
              * Support your local kitesurf association !
              *
              *
              * <<<to unsubscribe send a message to kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>
              *
              * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              *
              *
              *
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 26, 2001
                Hi Steve...

                Begging for a little bit of mercy and more respect into the group -

                Tarifa - Morocco crossing is 8 miles... and that's the spanish Red Bull
                crossing. The other issue is, we weren't asking for a lot of money, just for
                the media and help to make this possible.

                Learn better ways of writing in the group, i hate people who act the way you
                do... let's not argue any more.

                Madden

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 26, 2001
                  The point is Red Bull have put time and money into promoting
                  kitesurfing world wide. It's a shame that they can't support your
                  event, I guess they have to draw the line somewhere... People here
                  understandably don't appreciate the slagging off of redbull because
                  they are one "non" kite company that has done so much for the sport!!

                  Cheers
                  Callum

                  --- In kitesurf@y..., "Jorge Madden" <jorge@t...> wrote:
                  > Hi Steve...
                  >
                  > Begging for a little bit of mercy and more respect into the group -
                  >
                  > Tarifa - Morocco crossing is 8 miles... and that's the spanish Red
                  Bull
                  > crossing. The other issue is, we weren't asking for a lot of money,
                  just for
                  > the media and help to make this possible.
                  >
                  > Learn better ways of writing in the group, i hate people who act
                  the way you
                  > do... let's not argue any more.
                  >
                  > Madden

                  HISTORY!!!

                  > Jorge I think you are way out on a limb here, Red Bull just put
                  money and
                  > time into a nearly 100 mile crossing, and you are slagging off at
                  them for
                  > not rushing to you with mega bucks for your 38 mile crossing?
                  > Get REAL!
                  > Red Bull is one company who has put the money out for kiteboarding,
                  > regardless of whether you like their one product!
                  >
                  > Cya and
                  > Goodwinds
                  > Steve McCormack
                  > http://www.kitepower.com.au
                  > mailto:sydney@k...
                  > 126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                  > Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                  > Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic

                  HISTORY!!!

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 29, 2001
                    Was chased around sooty Botany Ashtray yesterday by Jeremy Hurwitz, who was
                    riding a Naish 4'11" and flying a Naish Aero 16.0M. I was on a North Rhino
                    12.0 and Underground 1.41 Lunchtray with a new pad strap set-up (NSI single
                    kicker Padz, and NSI Superstraps).
                    It was a bit gusty and I was well powered up on the stronger gusts, even
                    T-bagged a few times, but I started landing jumps planing away - very
                    stoked!! The new pads and straps gave me a much more secure feeling (and
                    comfortable) and the board did not slip off my feet once in a jump, but was
                    still easy to kick off when I fuked a few!! I came off the water with no
                    knee or foot pain in my left leg, major bonus!
                    Most of this session Jeremy was nearby as I wanted to observe the Aero from
                    the water with a good rider, and Jeremy actually flew under me and high
                    fived me once! Many other times I would look over my shoulder and there was
                    his big Aero about 10M away, it is a very stable flyer, absolutely no
                    jellyfishing, and the wind was quite gusty, and Jeremy was well powered up
                    (rears slack a lot).
                    His jumps seemed easy and were at least as high if not higher than what I've
                    seen him do with ARX's, but he was getting excellent hangtime, considering
                    the biggest jump I saw him do was approx 20'.
                    There were a few other experienced riders out, mostly all on 11.5 Naish, 8.4
                    AB, North 12.0M, and all mostly riding Underground Lunchtrays, one local got
                    out a Manolo board when the wind dropped at the end of the day. It is a
                    strange looking board but it certainly worked well as a light wind board, as
                    the rider went out with the same size kite (12.0M Rhino) when the rest of us
                    on trays had to come in.

                    The Naish Aero construction is an improvement over previous Naish kites, but
                    still not as tough as the Norths. Aero still have 2 LE seems, but these are
                    strengthened with an extra layer sewn in, not just stuck on like a lot of
                    kites. The bladder casing material is very lightweight, at first glance it
                    looks like early cloth used in Wipi's, but the cloth part of the laminate is
                    very different to look at and feel. Jeremy had as much pressure in his kite
                    as we had in the Rhinos, time will tell if this stuff lasts, it certainly
                    looks very light. Overall the finish of the Aero is excellent, with nice
                    standout graphics, especially in the Blue/White version Jeremy had.

                    Conclusion
                    Aero is a very good, stable kite. Typical Naish high quality. Easy to turn
                    with a light to medium bar pressure (2 attachment points), quite a lifty
                    kite when jumped with, and are priced between R3 and ARX over here.

                    Cya and
                    Goodwinds
                    Steve McCormack
                    http://www.kitepower.com.au
                    mailto:sydney@...
                    126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                    Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                    Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
                    mailto:geelong@...
                  • throb_list
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 30, 2001
                      Steve,

                      Just to add, a guy arrived at Long Reef today with a Aero 10m...
                      looked like a bit of a learner.. anyway he put this kite down hard -
                      right on top of a fence. THe leading edge hit the top wire of the
                      fence and the whole kite bent around the fence. I ran over to grab it
                      for him, expecting a limp burst main bladder. Found the kite in one
                      piece.. very impressed with that!!!

                      Cheers

                      Anthony

                    • abc123kite
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 30, 2001
                        I don't have much to add on Steve's word's.
                        but I do have the 10' Aero, the kite is not as powered as the 9.5ARX
                        feels even very weak to is size. In 20knots+ its not bad at all even
                        beter then the ARX's (in feelling), turns fast, jump high and stable
                        at the gusts.
                        The only problem we did found that it's not easy to lift it from the
                        water (Naish wrote that it is easier then the ARX and I am not sure
                        that it's right).
                        Over all an exelent kite.
                        (It's for sale, too small for me).
                        Eyal

                      • Kitepower
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 30, 2001
                          G'day Throbbing :-)
                          Begginers are always able to do impressive things with kites that the
                          designers should have thought of!! :-)))
                          Then again a lot of experienced people do crazy stuff too!
                          I think the LE material on the Aero's is a lot tougher than it looks, you
                          can pump these kites a bit harder than ARX.
                          If they are pumped up hard they can be harder to re-launch.
                          * --- In kitesurf@y..., "Kitepower" <kitepower@b...> wrote:
[...]
                          * >
[...]
                          * > mailto:geelong@k...
                          *
                          *
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 30, 2001
                            This is not the case Steve (after allmost two years of kitesurfing
                            and a lot of students...)
                            The kite havn't been enough time in water to be sure that there is a
                            problem with the re-launch but soon after more "wet hours" I will
                            know better.
                            Right now we feel that the kite turns on his back OK but it's hard
                            to leed it to launch position without swimming fast to the oposite
                            direction and as you know swimming with full bindings and a wake is
                            not easy (although 20m' line do help).
                            Cya mate Eyal.

                          • Kitepower
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 31, 2001
                              I should clarify that in my experience in the 3 re-launches I have had to do
                              it was easier on the North 12.0, to have it not pumped rock hard.
                              When I had pumped it really hard it was very difficult to get it to roll on
                              its back.
                              I have not tried to re-launch an Aero yet, nor have I seen my friend have to
                              do one yet, but he was one the phone raving about the hangtime he is getting
                              on the Aero, he says he felt like he was hangliding yesterday, getting good
                              height but very long hangtime/glidetime.
                              I hope to borrow one of his kites today/soon.
                              As of tomorrow I will be away at the Nationals until the 7th Jan.

[...]
                              * > *
                              * > *
                              * > * Steve,
                              * > *
[...]
                              * > * >
[...]
                              * > * > mailto:geelong@k...
                              * > *
                              * > *
                              * > * Support your local kitesurf association !
                              * > *
                              * > *
                              * > * <<<to unsubscribe send a message to kitesurf-unsubscribe@e...>>>
                              * > *
                              * > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                              * http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                              * > *
                              * > *
                              *
                              *
                              * Support your local kitesurf association !
                              *
                              *
                              * <<<to unsubscribe send a message to kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>
                              *
                              * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                              *
                              *
                            • shermanmarch
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 31, 2001
                                I just pulled out my new Aero 16 and inflated it (not eough breeze
                                today to fly) one thing I noted is that it isn't very high AR at all. It
                                doesn't seem to be much higher AR than my Wipi FA 11.5. This
                                kite should be really stable and easy to relaunch.

                              • airdoodle
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 31, 2001
                                  Nice to hear reports on the first Aeros, I am curious if there is any
                                  sense of the wind range for these kites (especially since I am
                                  ordering one!). What might be the general wind range on the
                                  Aero 12.0 for a 100 kg rider (beginner), I was presuming it to be
                                  similar to an ARX or would this be a bad idea?

                                  --- In kitesurf@y..., "abc123kite" <esku@e...> wrote:
> [...]
                                  > certainly
                                  > > looks very light. Overall the finish of the Aero is excellent,
                                  > with nice
                                  > > standout graphics, especially in the Blue/White version
                                  Jeremy had.

                                  > > Conclusion
                                  > > Aero is a very good, stable kite. Typical Naish high quality.
                                  Easy
                                  > to turn
                                  > > with a light to medium bar pressure (2 attachment points),
                                  quite a
                                  > lifty
                                  > > kite when jumped with, and are priced between R3 and ARX
                                  over here.

                                  > > Cya and
                                  > > Goodwinds
                                  > > Steve McCormack
                                  > > http://www.kitepower.com.au
                                  > > mailto:sydney@k...
                                  > > 126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                                • Kitepower

[...]
                                    * > >
[...]
                                    * > > mailto:geelong@k...
                                    *
                                    *
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 1, 2002
                                      In low wind, I think the ARX is better, you can go up wind easier
                                      with at least the same if not more power then the Aero.
                                      In high wind it's different, the Aero is more powered (with less
                                      option of depower) but with the right board you can adge well and
                                      control the power better because of his steady power.
                                      The ARX have more wind rang but I think the Aero is better for
                                      strong winds and wakeboards.
                                      All this is based on short time on the Aero 10 and long exp' with
                                      all the ARX kites line.
                                      Eyal

                                    • Philippe Lavigne
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
                                        Test
                                      • ckflyer@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 14, 2002
                                          To those who criticize:
                                          Experimentation, trial and error, research and development is what has
                                          brought us this great sport of kitesurfing...Now we are tersting ourselves to
                                          see the limits of height , distance and endurance...We should commend
                                          congratulate those who push the limits and succeed, and not put them down...
                                          If you want to put down pioneers and record breakers you will have to put
                                          down
                                          Lindberg for crossing the Atlantic and Armstrong for going to the Moon..

                                          Pushing the extreme limits of Kitesurfing is only for a select few, and I
                                          offer my congratulations to the participants of the World Record Crossing
                                          from Key West to Cuba...This was a tough accomplishment and I will commend
                                          Neil, Kent, and Fabrice for their endurance and completion of the 97 non stop
                                          miles and Paul and Oliver for their attempt.

                                          Chris Kjos
                                          <A HREF="http://www.kitesurfusa.com/">KitesurfUSA.com</A> Kitesurf School & Equipment
                                          Florida Kitesurfing Association (F.K.A.)
                                          Watersports Unlimited Inc.
                                          301 Seabreeze Blvd.
                                          Ft Lauderdale, Florida USA 33316