Re: [ksurf] safe launch ARC com

  • Greg Walsh
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 2, 2001
      --- In kitesurf@y..., kitebord@p... wrote:

      snip

      > At least it does come back. An iflatable will continue
      > (accellerating) until it hits the surface.

      An Arc will accellerate full speed at the water, swoop around, dive
      up, drag you out of the water, maybe do it again, deposit you on your
      feet and planing away. Kind of fun out in the water but deadly on the
      beach.

      > That's good news. I assume you've tested doing just that, & since
      > the "horns" are so short you were easily able to keep the bar from
      > rotating on its own (?).

      Yes. Works fine but the horns are so short it's not reliable.

      > > They're just not long enough for the range to be
      > > enough for comfortable kitesurfing.
      >
      > Doesn't the trim line (center leader sliding past the bar when you
      > flex your arms) provide plenty of sheeting range for comfortable
      > kitesurfing?

      Because there's no bar pressure then pulling on the bar causes the
      kite to stall. I want a bot of force in the bar so I can crank on it
      when I want to. Unless super powered up riding the Arc is more like
      surfing because there's effectively no bar to hold onto.

      > Can't you simply either adjust your center buckle-strap/line-cleat
      2
      > times per session (once after launching, & once before landing), or
      > just twist your "horned" bar on those two occasions?

      Yes, except as delivered you don't get a trim strap. I've worked out
      the Arc to a point where I can kitesurf with it effectively and don't
      need to be hooked in when I don't want to be. I may modify the setup
      a little to make it more user-friendly, possibly a semi-horned bar
      system.

      I return to my original point in that the way the product is designed
      and delivered it is not a safe reliable system. Every other kite has
      a simple, consistent, standard way of launching and landing which is
      safe and reliable. The way most people use the Arc is not safe.
      People need to be aware that there is a problem and that there are
      ways of dealing with it. The manufacturer also needs to be aware and
      develop the control system a little further.

      We're starting to chat in circles. I think I've said enough on this
      thread.

      Regards

      Greg
    • kiteboard2000
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 6, 2001
        --- In kitesurf@y..., "gregwalshau" <Greg.Walsh@b...> wrote:

        > with a loop you have the option of not being
        > hooked in to start with.

        Good point. I'm always in, so it wouldn't make any difference to me,
        except that with a loop there's a chance it could come out when I
        don't want it to.

        > The Gorge Animal video is
        > far better but I notice the pilot still goes for a drag down the
        > beach during the downwind launch.

        I thought I remembered seeing dragging when I first watched it (I
        wasn't able to access it again this time), but wasn't quite sure
        enough (until now) to post a reply that if I'd been the one flying
        I'd have either been more careful the first time, or taped over it
        with a better example of how it can be done with no dragging.

        Mel