Re: [ksurf] Anyone flying the 2002 Slingshot kites???

  • callum@dr.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Rudy de Groot" <rudy.g@1...> wrote:
      > G'day (here it is)
      >
      > impressed by the way the kite flew or by the pilots' skills.. how
      can you
      > tell the difference?

      Not to want to speak for Steve, but in the gusty side/off conditions
      at the mambo it was easy to see different characteristics of diferent
      kites. And this can be said pretty safely because there were a wide
      range of riders skills there on the same kites, yet the kites were
      behaving the same no matter who was ridding it. So it was easy to see
      improvements of certain kites over other kites, even between 2001 and
      2002 wipikas for example.

      Callum
    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
        Well Rudy it is a little like the advice you just gave to the person in your
        reply to the "F-One directional..." post, it is really obvious to people who
        actually do kitesurf, that you have limited experience. Please do not take
        this observation personally, correct me if I am wrong.
        Telling someone that rider weight is not important when selecting a board
        could only come from someone with limited experience - like you.

        On the other hand, I fly/repair/tune/teach some sort of
        kite(s)/kiteflying/kiteboarding every day, I kiteboard whenever I can, I
        just spent 5 days with Adrian Roper (Underground's owner) and Kane Hartill
        (ranked in the world top 10). I have judged 3 big events now, and intend to
        do a lot more, event organisers want me to judge because of my experience,
        what else can I say Rudy?.
        There is a synergy that develops in the good kiteboarders between
        themselves, the kite and the wind/water, it is easy for experienced eyes to
        spot. You could give these guys any gear and they would excel on it!

        The Mambo is a great event to judge due to the informal nature of the comp,
        I was able to watch the riders through binoculars on Friday, and could
        almost touch the guys up at the rivermouth on Saturday arvo. You got bonus
        points for venturing onto the water on Friday due to the extreme gusterly
        wind!

        I can see things in the way a kite flies, that inexperienced eyes do not, I
        prefer to fly a kite as well, before making a judgement/statement though. I
        talk to kiteboarders about their new gear, but simple things like Darren
        Marshall using the new Wipika proto's and them not jellyfishing at all,
        unlike the ones we just received. I then talk to Darren and others about the
        kite, I observe others fly the same kite, so I am qualified to make the
        statements I do, IMO.

        Cya and
        Goodwinds
        Steve McCormack
        http://www.kitepower.com.au
        mailto:sydney@...
        126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
        Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
        Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
        From: "Kitepower" <kitepower@...>

        > Ben Wilson who won the Mambo event had a 2002 14.0M Fuel, he never dropped
        > it once at the comp, in very gusty conditions. I was very impressed with
        the
        > way the kite flew, it looks very similar to the North in the sky and must
        > have a similar AR of around 5.0 to 1.
        [..]
        > I have not flown the kite.

      • Rudy de Groot
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
          Steve.

          You might have gouverned all the mambo jambos in the land of Oz, have eyes
          like a hawk and friends in high places, calling you Mighty McCoremack but
          I'm telling you:

          Unlike wave surfing, weight is not really important when choosing a board.
          It is when choosing your kite. This is not based on limited experience (*)
          yet common sense and logics.

          (*) This I take personally. I do not have limited experience. No one has. I
          will extend mine and after I've won the National Kitesurfing event in the
          Netherlands, I'll come over to your mambo, and win.

          Stoked4Life, RudyG.

        • callum@dr.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
            Rudy,

            I have to disagree with your statement about wiehgt and board
            selection. Obviously your logic is a bit different to mine, I deal
            with logic issues everyday - thats what i do for a living.

            Logic tells me, I can't get going in as little wind on my 11.8ab and
            my dinner tray as I can on my 11.8ab and my 6'6" directional. Why is
            this? because the direction supports my weight better.....

            Experience tells me the above is true. Right.

            Now: Logic tells me I can't get going on my 11.8ab and my dinner tray
            in a certain windspeed. But that my friend with about the same flying
            experience as me who weighs 30kg less than me can...

            Experience also confirms this, this was the case on saturday.

            Therefore I can conclude that riders weight does have a bearing on
            board selection. Becuase if I wanted a twintip I could ride in 8-10
            knots I couldn't have chosen the dinnertray no matter what size kite
            I had, YET my friend who is lighter than I could have. RIGHT??

            Pretty logical??

            Later,
            Callum

            Ps, can't wait to see you over here winning the Mambo, when can we
            expect to see this?
          • dave@machelp.com.au
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
              Whoa! No-one has limited experience??

              Rudy you are talking about a sport here in which the wrong advice can
              cause death or serious injury.

              Unless you have some accreditation or similar which qualifies you to
              give kitesurfing advice to all and sundry I'd back off on the advice.

              There are people contributing to this group who have traction kite
              experience going back before kitesurfing began. There are others who
              have put considerable time in kitesurfing and/or completed courses such
              as those offered by Wipika.

              Your comments on your own experience and equipment do tend to show you
              as having limited experience with the wide range of kitesurfing
              equipment available today.

              Please be careful with offering advice as you are putting yourself in a
              position of responsibility that you may have no idea of the
              consequences of.

              Take care, Dave (Dr Surf Australia) COM

              I do not have limited experience. No one has. I
              > will extend mine and after I've won the National Kitesurfing event in the
              > Netherlands, I'll come over to your mambo, and win.
              >
              > Stoked4Life, RudyG.
            • Kitepower
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 3, 2001
                Oh Dear!
                You did what I begged you not to.
                So you are on your own Rudy. As far as you are concerned you are right and
                that is all that seems to matter to you.

                Cya and
                Goodwinds
                Steve McCormack
                http://www.kitepower.com.au
                mailto:sydney@...
                Open 7 days
                126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
                Phone +61293157894

              • peter.barnes@pobox.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 3, 2001
                  Rudy,
                  Quite aside from the board thing, you are wrong.

                  All of us have "limited" experience, just some are more limited than
                  others. Depth and breadth of experience are two different things -
                  some of us know particular conditions or kites very well, but are
                  relatively ignorant of others. That's one of the things that makes
                  this sport great - we've all got something to learn every time we go
                  out, and we've all got something to teach each other. Steve can
                  probably remember Ugh the caveman flying a methane inflated mamoth
                  skin just after the last ice age, and comment on the mamoth's upwind
                  ability, so give the bloke at least some credit. I'll look forward
                  to seeing you do your stuff out here in Oz next year.

                  My opinion - I reckon board size is significant - far less so than
                  surfing or windsurfing, but - bigger riders using bigger kites need
                  more rail in the water to keep things in proportion. Conversely, a
                  smaller rider needs a smaller board so they can set an edge with what
                  weight and strength they have. Some people are stronger, and can
                  compensate for lack of weight with strength. Board and rail shape
                  helps too.

                  Bottom line, use what works for you, and enjoy it.

                  pete

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/