Re: Dinner Tray..... Wholey shit.

  • tpurdy1@gte.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
      --- In kitesurf@y..., mikeiacovides@h... wrote:

      Just some more data points as I now have been on the dinner tray a
      few times.

      I went from the 175 TT to the 151 DT. I feel like I lost two knots
      of the low end. Although, when I went from my 7' directoinal to the
      175TT I felt the same way but I seemed to get it back after awhile.
      ( I suppose that means I would be better on the directional).

      My weight 170 lbs the DT seems to like 13 mph with my 1120 ARC or 16
      with the 840 ARC. Make it more like 15 and 18 you are having some
      serious fun. I Kite in open ocean with chop waves, etc. The DT is
      really nice and eats that stuff up.

      One thing I have learned with the DT is that you can edge so hard
      that you stall it out. Keeping it a little flatter is not bad and
      when underpowered helps keep the speed up and you can head up wind
      better. I think with the bigger boards you tend to hold the speed
      down since if they get going to fast you can't set the rail. This
      does not appear to be a problem with the DT.

      When it is powered, it can really go up wind. When it is not, well
      you can struggle a little. I felt I could pump the kite better with
      the 175 TT and get up wind but I think with a little more experience
      I will get better on the DT.

      So why not stay with a bigger board? Well the DT is so light and fun
      it is painful to go back to the 175 TT. In particular turning,
      edging, and landing from jumps. the light weight and small length
      make it very easy to steer the board in the air and put it down where
      you want to.

      Another data point, a friend has the 141 which is a truly small
      looking thing. Makes the 151 seem heavy. He is a small person but
      better yet, had never been on a TT or anything smaller than a 6' ?"
      directional. He hasn't been kiting that much as he has been getting
      pretty worked on his bigger board. Finally got him out the DT141 and
      after sliding down wind for a while, lo and behold, he stayed in one
      place for 30-40 minutes in some gusty conditions. Ok, he wasn't
      doing 40' jumps and said he couldn't turn it around very well but
      gosh, he was holding his own.

      I hope this helps people. I would say if you are getting good on the
      directional, going to the wakeboard/small twin tip should not be big
      jump but there will be some new learning.

      Buying an intermediate sized TT might not be a bad idea since it can
      become your light wind board and might ease the learning curve. This
      is what I did and stepping on the DT was very easy.

      Good luck,

      David

    • callum@dr.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2001
        Hey David,

        Looks like we have a problem on our hands...

        We can't really use the dinner trays till it's a solid 12, more like
        14. Yoiu have a larger tt you no longer really want to use, and I
        have a directional I no longer want to use. I don't want to have to
        wait till 14 to go kitesurfing or I won't get enough in.... Lifes a
        bitch.

        So when the underground BigBoy tray commming out for the lighter days?
        Or am I just going to have to buy a bigger kite than my 11.8ab???

        Callum

        I'm thinking a bigger kite.... Anyone flown a 22m north yet??
      • traigtrumbo@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2001
          --- In kitesurf@y..., callum@d... wrote:
          > Hey David,
          >
          > Looks like we have a problem on our hands...
          >
          > We can't really use the dinner trays till it's a solid 12, more like
          > 14. Yoiu have a larger tt you no longer really want to use, and I
          > have a directional I no longer want to use. I don't want to have to
          > wait till 14 to go kitesurfing or I won't get enough in.... Lifes a
          > bitch.
          >
          > So when the underground BigBoy tray commming out for the lighter
          days?
          > Or am I just going to have to buy a bigger kite than my 11.8ab???
          >
          > Callum
          Hey Callum. I'm sure the big underground will rip but the e board
          168 tt Misoscape is a light wind machine as well. By the way my 1410
          arc with flares and leach gets me planing around ten and actually
          getting some jumping in 11 to 12mph average on the 168 e and in around
          12 to thirteen on the underground 162 wake. I weigh 195 pounds. My
          friends on the large inflatos are just not getting the apparent wind
          from kite speed I am with the PL and the large amount of sheeting we
          set them up with. Same weight, most experienced local on Wipi 11.8
          projected airblast and larger board no match. The 1410 is only 10
          projected and looks tiny next to it. The guys on the 16 airblast
          can't get the thing to move fast enough to get a light air advantage.
          Hope the new mounting point they are experimenting with on the
          inflatos will help. The leach definately helps on my arc 1410 as
          does the forward mounting on the spars as my flares provide. Just
          giving you an option not bagging on other nice kites as yes I do sell
          arcs and used to sell and may one day again sell the inflatos. Just
          not overly impressed from what I have seen of them yet in our average
          lighter winds. The Mambo observations sound promising though. Good
          luck on the bigger tt. A flat bottom (very little rocker) makes a huge
          difference in the light winds. Have never had a complaint on any
          underground sold and sure the new big one will be no different. The
          big e is a stryo core construction unlike the other models, very well
          wrapped and light (light wind reason probably for lighter board styro
          core). Would take a realy hard hit to get water in. The undergrounds
          are all divinicell and thus no water absorption if dinged. E board
          price is low and holds quite well considering it's size. Have to
          agree with Steve on his observation on the e board if not on his view
          on arcs and launching??? Never had a student or seen others with any
          clue have any problems launching if using brakes in the process and
          with proper pre inflation. All the old hand inflato guys out here
          call learning on an arc cheating as it is so darn easy. The kites
          that stay aloft in our most gusty winds are the arcs and the
          occasional blade. Even John's dog can launch an arc blindfolded with
          his front paws tied. Rumor only, never witnessed his dog spitting
          sand on the trailing edge. You can buy some of last years flaw
          designed inflatos for near the same low price as an arc. In windsurf
          sails the dacron stretched unevenly...Hmmm?? Maybe I should just sell
          tire repair kits and actually make some money. Just pulling your
          strings. John's dog actually curses like a sailor and can walk
          upright. Darwin and genetic engineering in kites and pets. My
          neighbors goat just got in the sports illustrated swim suit issue.
          It's sheerin time. Gotta run. It all works. Have Fun. Traig

        • kitebord@pacbell.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2001
            --- In kitesurf@y..., traigtrumbo@e... wrote:

            > Hope the new mounting point they are experimenting with on the
            > inflatos will help.

            I haven't heard of that one yet. Please explain.

            Mel
          • callum@dr.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2001
              I think? Traig is talking about the multiple pigtail placment option
              on some of the new inflatables. 2 Options for back line placement,
              One right on the trailing edge and one further in, closer to the
              front attacment point....

              But then may be he is talking about something entirely different!!

              Callum

            • kitebord@pacbell.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2001
                --- In kitesurf@y..., callum@d... wrote:
                > I think? Traig is talking about the multiple pigtail placment
                option
                > on some of the new inflatables. 2 Options for back line placement,
                > One right on the trailing edge and one further in, closer to the
                > front attacment point....
                >
                > But then may be he is talking about something entirely different!!

                I can't really see how that would help low wind performance. Aren't
                those supposed to be for high wind, to make the kite more stable?
                (less responsive).

                Mel
              • callum@dr.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 2, 2001
                  > I can't really see how that would help low wind performance.
                  Aren't
                  > those supposed to be for high wind, to make the kite more stable?
                  > (less responsive).

                  Thats what I thought as well, but that's what sprung to mind when
                  traig mentioned experimental attachment points on inflatables.
                  Perhaps he was talking about something else....
                • traigtrumbo@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001
                    --- In kitesurf@y..., kitebord@p... wrote:
                    > --- In kitesurf@y..., traigtrumbo@e... wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hope the new mounting point they are experimenting with on the
                    > > inflatos will help.
                    >
                    > I haven't heard of that one yet. Please explain.
                    >
                    > Mel
                    Hi Mel. I was refering to the rear attachment point moved
                    superiorly on the big inflatables which the guys are claiming to make
                    the large puppies turn quite a bit better. All the best. Traig