Re: [ksurf] safe launch ARC com

  • Greg Walsh
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 1, 2001
      I think this thread is one of the truly useful things this group has
      done. The Arc is a fine kite and the price is so attractive that lots
      of "foil head" newbies are going to consider them over inflatibles.
      Also, the impression of a self-centering, never crashing kite, while
      being part exaggeration/mostly true, is very appealing. All of these
      people have accepted the drag of death as the norm and reasonable
      because "Arcs are so stable".

      Seems to me the ideal solution is a long-longhorn/quadrifoil style
      bar. With the brakes rigged so that the kite is completely stalled in
      the horns down position. Then you can launch with the horns turned
      down and gently rotate the bar to bring the kite to the top of the
      window. No need to be hooked, complete control the whole way and no
      stalling the kite by pulling the bar while kitesurfing.

      You could achieve a similar solution with a trim strap/cleat system
      but but you run the risk of shortening the brake too quicky too soon.

      All the Arc boys have told me the prussics are great things and
      better than a single trim strap. They also say you have to adjust the
      brakes every time you use the kite. IMHO the prussics suck. The knots
      are tangle magnets and it takes both hands to adjust them. Anyway,
      why do you have to adjust the brakes so much? No other kite requires
      constant adjustment.

      Regards

      Greg
    • kiteboard2000
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 6, 2001
        --- In kitesurf@y..., "gregwalshau" <Greg.Walsh@b...> wrote:

        > with a loop you have the option of not being
        > hooked in to start with.

        Good point. I'm always in, so it wouldn't make any difference to me,
        except that with a loop there's a chance it could come out when I
        don't want it to.

        > The Gorge Animal video is
        > far better but I notice the pilot still goes for a drag down the
        > beach during the downwind launch.

        I thought I remembered seeing dragging when I first watched it (I
        wasn't able to access it again this time), but wasn't quite sure
        enough (until now) to post a reply that if I'd been the one flying
        I'd have either been more careful the first time, or taped over it
        with a better example of how it can be done with no dragging.

        Mel