Anyone flying the 2002 Slingshot kites???

  • c_batalha@clix.pt
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2001
      Hi

      Is out there anyone using the new 2002 Fuel? I've heard that they are
      really well built and that they fly great! Is this true? Can you
      share your impressions on this kite?

      By the way... in the pics I've seen it looks that the Fuel is not a
      really high AR kite (like the AB or the ARX), but more a moderate AR
      kite (like the Rhino, Aero and Hidro). Is this true or just looked
      like that in the pic?

      Good winds
      Carlos
    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2001
        Ben Wilson who won the Mambo event had a 2002 14.0M Fuel, he never dropped
        it once at the comp, in very gusty conditions. I was very impressed with the
        way the kite flew, it looks very similar to the North in the sky and must
        have a similar AR of around 5.0 to 1.
        The construction is good, but not as tough as the North, as Slingshot are
        using the same material as North but with the old seams with the fishing
        line in it. The cloth used in the sail is the same as all the other
        inflatables.
        I have not flown the kite.

        Cya and
        Goodwinds
        Steve McCormack
        http://www.kitepower.com.au
        mailto:sydney@...
        Open 7 days
        126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
        Phone +61293157894

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2001
          The aspect ratio printed on the 14m is 5.2. These numbers are meaningless because it does not look
          like the ARX. It is lower like the old AR5 or Rhino.

          Dwight

          > Hi
          >
          > Is out there anyone using the new 2002 Fuel? I've heard that they are
          > really well built and that they fly great! Is this true? Can you
          > share your impressions on this kite?
          >
          > By the way... in the pics I've seen it looks that the Fuel is not a
          > really high AR kite (like the AB or the ARX), but more a moderate AR
          > kite (like the Rhino, Aero and Hidro). Is this true or just looked
          > like that in the pic?
          >
          > Good winds
          > Carlos

        • Rudy de Groot
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2001
            G'day (here it is)

            impressed by the way the kite flew or by the pilots' skills.. how can you
            tell the difference?

            Stoked4Life, RudyG.

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
              --- In kitesurf@y..., "Rudy de Groot" <rudy.g@1...> wrote:
              > G'day (here it is)
              >
              > impressed by the way the kite flew or by the pilots' skills.. how
              can you
              > tell the difference?

              Not to want to speak for Steve, but in the gusty side/off conditions
              at the mambo it was easy to see different characteristics of diferent
              kites. And this can be said pretty safely because there were a wide
              range of riders skills there on the same kites, yet the kites were
              behaving the same no matter who was ridding it. So it was easy to see
              improvements of certain kites over other kites, even between 2001 and
              2002 wipikas for example.

              Callum
            • Kitepower
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
                Well Rudy it is a little like the advice you just gave to the person in your
                reply to the "F-One directional..." post, it is really obvious to people who
                actually do kitesurf, that you have limited experience. Please do not take
                this observation personally, correct me if I am wrong.
                Telling someone that rider weight is not important when selecting a board
                could only come from someone with limited experience - like you.

                On the other hand, I fly/repair/tune/teach some sort of
                kite(s)/kiteflying/kiteboarding every day, I kiteboard whenever I can, I
                just spent 5 days with Adrian Roper (Underground's owner) and Kane Hartill
                (ranked in the world top 10). I have judged 3 big events now, and intend to
                do a lot more, event organisers want me to judge because of my experience,
                what else can I say Rudy?.
                There is a synergy that develops in the good kiteboarders between
                themselves, the kite and the wind/water, it is easy for experienced eyes to
                spot. You could give these guys any gear and they would excel on it!

                The Mambo is a great event to judge due to the informal nature of the comp,
                I was able to watch the riders through binoculars on Friday, and could
                almost touch the guys up at the rivermouth on Saturday arvo. You got bonus
                points for venturing onto the water on Friday due to the extreme gusterly
                wind!

                I can see things in the way a kite flies, that inexperienced eyes do not, I
                prefer to fly a kite as well, before making a judgement/statement though. I
                talk to kiteboarders about their new gear, but simple things like Darren
                Marshall using the new Wipika proto's and them not jellyfishing at all,
                unlike the ones we just received. I then talk to Darren and others about the
                kite, I observe others fly the same kite, so I am qualified to make the
                statements I do, IMO.

                Cya and
                Goodwinds
                Steve McCormack
                http://www.kitepower.com.au
                mailto:sydney@...
                126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
                impressed by the way the kite flew or by the pilots' skills.. how can you
                tell the difference?

                Stoked4Life, RudyG.

                > Ben Wilson who won the Mambo event had a 2002 14.0M Fuel, he never dropped
                > it once at the comp, in very gusty conditions. I was very impressed with
                the
                > way the kite flew, it looks very similar to the North in the sky and must
                > have a similar AR of around 5.0 to 1.
                [..]
                > I have not flown the kite.

              • Rudy de Groot
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
                  Steve.

                  You might have gouverned all the mambo jambos in the land of Oz, have eyes
                  like a hawk and friends in high places, calling you Mighty McCoremack but
                  I'm telling you:

                  Unlike wave surfing, weight is not really important when choosing a board.
                  It is when choosing your kite. This is not based on limited experience (*)
                  yet common sense and logics.

                  (*) This I take personally. I do not have limited experience. No one has. I
                  will extend mine and after I've won the National Kitesurfing event in the
                  Netherlands, I'll come over to your mambo, and win.

                  Stoked4Life, RudyG.

                • callum@dr.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
                    Rudy,

                    I have to disagree with your statement about wiehgt and board
                    selection. Obviously your logic is a bit different to mine, I deal
                    with logic issues everyday - thats what i do for a living.

                    Logic tells me, I can't get going in as little wind on my 11.8ab and
                    my dinner tray as I can on my 11.8ab and my 6'6" directional. Why is
                    this? because the direction supports my weight better.....

                    Experience tells me the above is true. Right.

                    Now: Logic tells me I can't get going on my 11.8ab and my dinner tray
                    in a certain windspeed. But that my friend with about the same flying
                    experience as me who weighs 30kg less than me can...

                    Experience also confirms this, this was the case on saturday.

                    Therefore I can conclude that riders weight does have a bearing on
                    board selection. Becuase if I wanted a twintip I could ride in 8-10
                    knots I couldn't have chosen the dinnertray no matter what size kite
                    I had, YET my friend who is lighter than I could have. RIGHT??

                    Pretty logical??

                    Later,
                    Callum

                    Ps, can't wait to see you over here winning the Mambo, when can we
                    expect to see this?
                  • dave@machelp.com.au
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
                      Whoa! No-one has limited experience??

                      Rudy you are talking about a sport here in which the wrong advice can
                      cause death or serious injury.

                      Unless you have some accreditation or similar which qualifies you to
                      give kitesurfing advice to all and sundry I'd back off on the advice.

                      There are people contributing to this group who have traction kite
                      experience going back before kitesurfing began. There are others who
                      have put considerable time in kitesurfing and/or completed courses such
                      as those offered by Wipika.

                      Your comments on your own experience and equipment do tend to show you
                      as having limited experience with the wide range of kitesurfing
                      equipment available today.

                      Please be careful with offering advice as you are putting yourself in a
                      position of responsibility that you may have no idea of the
                      consequences of.

                      Take care, Dave (Dr Surf Australia) COM

                      I do not have limited experience. No one has. I
                      > will extend mine and after I've won the National Kitesurfing event in the
                      > Netherlands, I'll come over to your mambo, and win.
                      >
                      > Stoked4Life, RudyG.
                    • Kitepower
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 3, 2001
                        Oh Dear!
                        You did what I begged you not to.
                        So you are on your own Rudy. As far as you are concerned you are right and
                        that is all that seems to matter to you.

                      • peter.barnes@pobox.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 3, 2001
                          Rudy,
                          Quite aside from the board thing, you are wrong.

                          All of us have "limited" experience, just some are more limited than
                          others. Depth and breadth of experience are two different things -
                          some of us know particular conditions or kites very well, but are
                          relatively ignorant of others. That's one of the things that makes
                          this sport great - we've all got something to learn every time we go
                          out, and we've all got something to teach each other. Steve can
                          probably remember Ugh the caveman flying a methane inflated mamoth
                          skin just after the last ice age, and comment on the mamoth's upwind
                          ability, so give the bloke at least some credit. I'll look forward
                          to seeing you do your stuff out here in Oz next year.

                          My opinion - I reckon board size is significant - far less so than
                          surfing or windsurfing, but - bigger riders using bigger kites need
                          more rail in the water to keep things in proportion. Conversely, a
                          smaller rider needs a smaller board so they can set an edge with what
                          weight and strength they have. Some people are stronger, and can
                          compensate for lack of weight with strength. Board and rail shape
                          helps too.

                          Bottom line, use what works for you, and enjoy it.

                          pete

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/