Re: [ksurf] safe launch ARC com

  • loco4viento@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 1, 2001
      Sorry everybody for yet another arc launch note on what has
      traditionally been a "foils rule" group...I forgot to mention
      something I think is real important.

      I just want to emphasize that especially when learning the side
      launch technique, you want to preinflate the hell out of your kite. I
      know I mentioned "preinflate well" but I mean real super ultra
      well...fill that sucker up so it's bulging almost right up to the
      upwind tip. When launching from downwind we never let the kite get
      too high up before it's pretty full, but when learning the side
      launch we always seem to forget this. The less you preinflate, the
      more likely you are to have a messy bowtie.

      One effect of this however is that when you begin launching and the
      wind hits the lower skin of the kite, it pushes that bulge all the
      way to the upwind tip. If you have the tip folded and lightly sanded
      this will knock the sand off and give you a premature launch. I think
      that's why I started doing it without folding and never went back.

      Again, sorry to all who are getting sick of this thread.

      John
      --- In kitesurf@y..., kiteguy@s... wrote:
      > That sounds like an excellent idea. I like doing less a lot. And
      my
      > success rate wasn't perfect yet with the fold thing anyway.
      > --- In kitesurf@y..., loco4viento@y... wrote:
      > > Hal and Steve,
      > >
      > > I'm kind of a bad boy and looking for trouble I guess. I never
      fold
      > > the upwind tip over anymore (had a few premature launches), but I
      > > sand it just a little. It takes WAY LESS sand if you don't fold
      it,
      > > and if you use too much you probably risk breaking a spar. I
      mostly
      > > sand the TE of the upwind tip to keep the kite from sliding, and
      > just
      > > a little sand up toward the LE...that way the whole tip stays
      down
      > > but it's easy to lift the LE and spill sand off to launch. Don't
      > put
      > > lots of sand near the LE or that is probably begging for trouble.
      > > I've probably done it this way 100 times, including dozens of
      times
      > > with a stack. I'm proof that any idiot can do it; I'm not sure
      how
      > > smart guy would do.
      > >
      > > John
      > >
      > > --- In kitesurf@y..., kiteguy@s... wrote:
      > > > I find it requires more sand on that tip (after folded over)
      than
      > > > always think. The result is that it lifts up before I even get
      > the
      > > > lines close to tight, which I think is bad.
      > > > Hal
      > the
      > > > upwind tip

    • kiteboard2000
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 6, 2001
        --- In kitesurf@y..., "gregwalshau" <Greg.Walsh@b...> wrote:

        > with a loop you have the option of not being
        > hooked in to start with.

        Good point. I'm always in, so it wouldn't make any difference to me,
        except that with a loop there's a chance it could come out when I
        don't want it to.

        > The Gorge Animal video is
        > far better but I notice the pilot still goes for a drag down the
        > beach during the downwind launch.

        I thought I remembered seeing dragging when I first watched it (I
        wasn't able to access it again this time), but wasn't quite sure
        enough (until now) to post a reply that if I'd been the one flying
        I'd have either been more careful the first time, or taped over it
        with a better example of how it can be done with no dragging.

        Mel