Re: Pics of my Plwood 147 TT

  • Ulrik Petersen
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2001
      Hi Ian
      The board looks FANTASTIC !!!
      How does it perform ?
      I´m joining the plywood revolution right now(Might as well do
      something productive in the cold dark winther months)

      Ulrik
      Denmark

      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Walton" <awalton@e...> wrote:
      > Guys,
      >
      > Just in case any of you want a look at my plywood board which I
      just finished, you can check them out here:
      link and click on the folder called "Ians Ply TT"

      > Bring on the anti-ply remarks!!!
      >
      > ian

    • Gurpreet Pandher
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2001
        Excellent finish, Ian. Very professional. What layup have you used and what
        glue/paint/varnish/epoxy etc? How did you set the rocker? What would you do
        differently next time? How much does it weigh and what is the flex like
        compared to a production kitewakeboard?

        Well done, Simon.

        >>Guys,

        Just in case any of you want a look at my plywood board which I just
        finished, you can check them out here:
        click on the folder called "Ians Ply TT"

        Bring on the anti-ply remarks!!!

        ian<<
      • Walton
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2001
          Simon,

          Its a very simple construction.

          I used three layers of 4mm plywood to begin with. Built a rocker table which
          is basically a table with your desired curve built into the top of it ( I
          just used 4 pieces of wood cut with the same curve and placed beside each
          other).

          Glue the THREE SHEETS together at once and weigh them down on the rocker
          table with anything heavy you can find. When the glue dries you have your
          rocker!!

          Next cut out your desired board shape, plane and sand and plane and sand and
          plane and sand and................. I just used everyday emulsion paint for
          the graphics covered in 4/5 layers of marine varnish ( concentrate on the
          open grained surfaces with the varnish ).

          It weighs in at about 5.5 kgs which isn't particularly light. Unfortunately
          I haven't taken to the water with it yet, maybe this weekend.

          ian
        • Tunico Lage
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 30, 2001
            Hi,
            I also built a ply board and I´m LOVING it! It goes upwind like no other
            board I have used.
            One mistake I made was to go light on the marine varnish...if you haven´t
            done so, put as many layers as you can, specially on the tiny holes in the
            plywwod that are exposed by sanding. My board took A LOT of water, and the
            water don´t comes out! it´s very heavy now, and still rides great...

            Tunico