Dinner Tray..... Wholey shit.

  • callum@dr.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 29, 2001
      Hey everyone.
      Some of you may remember a wee while back I posted asking how the
      dinner trays from underground work in choppy messy conditions.

      To cut along story short, I demo'd a board (thanks Steve) and ended
      up buying one. Today I got to try it in some real slop, 12 - 17 knot
      winds with 3 foot swell mixed in there. All I can say is awesome no
      worries about nose ploughing or tails sliding out like on my
      directional. The board was rock solid, lost the edge once but that
      was on the face of a wave I was shredding so that doesn't count.

      This is the first twin tip I have ever ridden and I'm hooked already,
      anyone want to buy a 6'6" directional? The local boys have already
      been asking for a blast on it on the weekend, they might have to line
      up and take a ticket though!!

      For the board to work for me I only need to be powered, when
      originally looking at the board everyone said "you'll have to be
      super powered to ride that" today in 12-17knts I was on my 11.8ab. So
      I was powered but not super powered, i still could have easily ridden
      my directional in that and I still had about 3"- 5" of depower on the
      center line I could have used. So don't let that put anyone off
      having a go on one.

      Anyway, I'm stoked. Get on a tray and see for yourself what the buzz
      is about!!

      Later
      Callum
    • mikeiacovides@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 29, 2001
        Hi Callum, good to see you're enjoying your new board.

        I seem to be in the same position as you were: I'm about to sell my
        6'6" directional and get a smaller board, although I'll probably go
        for a smaller directional. The sea here also gets really choppy with
        big swell even in light to moderate winds.

        To get the whole picture can you please tell me/us :
        - how much do you weight ?
        - what's the size of your new board ?
        - what's the equivalent ARX for your 11.8AB ?
        - have you riden a bi-directional before and how did you find the
        transition, especially in going upwind ? (did you also manage to keep
        upwing in 12knots?)

        Thanks
        Mike

      • callum@dr.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 29, 2001
          Hi Mike,

          to answer you questions...
          I weigh 100kg. The board is 151cm long, Closet arx to an 11.8ab is
          15.5. I hadn't ridden a bi directional before, this is the first
          time. The first two times I rode the board was very shitty conditions
          (gusty as). yesterday the third time I rode it I had no problems
          staying upwind, I was able to go upwind as high if not higher than
          the directionals that were out.
          Upwind in 12 knots, hard to say because the conditions yesterday
          we're small lulls and biggers gusts the average was probably around
          15 knots. I think i'd be pushing it to stay upwind in 12 knots on
          bumpy water, maybe on flat water. I didn't have many problems in the
          transition from directional to twin.

          Obviously there are plenty of twin tips out there bigger than this
          (they make wakes bigger than this!) that may suit you better, if you
          can get a tray to have a ride on then have a go.

          Hope that answers your questions!

          Callum

        • Kitepower
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 29, 2001
            Since Callum hasn't answered yet.
            The board is a 1.51M Underground Dinner Tray
            Callum is a big guy, I would guess about 1.85M and 95kg
            The equivalent in the ARX is the 15.5, but it does not have the top end
            range of the Ab.
            As far as I know Calllum had no previous TT experience, he reported a bit of
            slipping on his first 2 goes but I think he has it wired by the sounds of
            his post!! ;-)
            Underground Trays rip upwind, if you know what you are doing and have enough
            power. The 1.41 LT has more rocker and is narrower and is a bit more work to
            go upwind, but for powered up riding it is the best thing I have ridden, it
            is still Kane Hartills fav high wind machine.
            I'll let Callum answer the staying upwind in 12 knots question.

            Cya and
            Goodwinds
            Steve McCormack
            http://www.kitepower.com.au
            mailto:sydney@...
            126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
            Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
            Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic

            --- In kitesurf@y..., callum@d... wrote:
            > Hey everyone.
            > Some of you may remember a wee while back I posted asking how the
            > dinner trays from underground work in choppy messy conditions.
            >
            > To cut along story short, I demo'd a board (thanks Steve) and ended
            > up buying one. Today I got to try it in some real slop, 12 - 17 knot
            > winds with 3 foot swell mixed in there. All I can say is awesome no
            > worries about nose ploughing or tails sliding out like on my
            > directional. The board was rock solid, lost the edge once but that
            > was on the face of a wave I was shredding so that doesn't count.
            >
            > This is the first twin tip I have ever ridden and I'm hooked
            already,
            > anyone want to buy a 6'6" directional? The local boys have already
            > been asking for a blast on it on the weekend, they might have to
            line
            > up and take a ticket though!!
            >
            > For the board to work for me I only need to be powered, when
            > originally looking at the board everyone said "you'll have to be
            > super powered to ride that" today in 12-17knts I was on my 11.8ab.
            So
            > I was powered but not super powered, i still could have easily
            ridden
            > my directional in that and I still had about 3"- 5" of depower on
            the
            > center line I could have used. So don't let that put anyone off
            > having a go on one.
            >
            > Anyway, I'm stoked. Get on a tray and see for yourself what the buzz
            > is about!!
            >
            > Later
            > Callum

          • Peter Traykovski
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 29, 2001
              At 190lbs and with a 11.8 AB 12 knots steady is about the minimum for
              fun on my Dinnertray 151 for me. I am holding even but have to work to
              gain ground upwind. In gusts to 13-14 I can point a bit higher in lulls
              I may lose some ground. I actually prefer to ride my LW169, which is 17"
              wide as opposed to the undergrounds 15" width untill it is steady over
              14 knots. Over 16-17 the LW feels too big and the tray is much better.
              In 14-17 it is a toss up..depends how gusty it is. The UG jumps way
              better when powered because it is smaller so can set a harder edge. The
              LW actually feels smoother in 14-17 than the UG mabye becuase it is
              much flexier, but the UG digs in better to load up. I have used both
              thse alot with good wind meters on 20 foot masts on beaches 100 to 500
              feet downwind of where I sail so this is pretty accurate. I have sail
              comforatbly in 35+, not with the 11.8 but with the 6.3 AB so see no need
              for the 141 for my size and weight. I like the 151 ability to plane
              thorugh the lulls so I don't have to sail super powered all the
              time...or if the wind drops a bit.

              -Peter

              Kitepower wrote:

              > Since Callum hasn't answered yet.
              > The board is a 1.51M Underground Dinner Tray
              > Callum is a big guy, I would guess about 1.85M and 95kg
              > The equivalent in the ARX is the 15.5, but it does not have the top end
              > range of the Ab.
              > As far as I know Calllum had no previous TT experience, he reported a bit of
              > slipping on his first 2 goes but I think he has it wired by the sounds of
              > his post!! ;-)
              > Underground Trays rip upwind, if you know what you are doing and have enough
              > power. The 1.41 LT has more rocker and is narrower and is a bit more work to
              > go upwind, but for powered up riding it is the best thing I have ridden, it
              > is still Kane Hartills fav high wind machine.
              > I'll let Callum answer the staying upwind in 12 knots question.
              >
              > Cya and
              > Goodwinds
              > Steve McCormack
              > http://www.kitepower.com.au
              > mailto:sydney@...
              > 126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
              > Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
              > Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic

              Peter Traykovski
              Applied Ocean Physics & Engineering Dept.
              MS#11, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
              Woods Hole, MA 02543
              ptraykovski@... (508)-289-2638
              http://penguin.whoi.edu
            • tpurdy1@gte.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
                --- In kitesurf@y..., mikeiacovides@h... wrote:

                Just some more data points as I now have been on the dinner tray a
                few times.

                I went from the 175 TT to the 151 DT. I feel like I lost two knots
                of the low end. Although, when I went from my 7' directoinal to the
                175TT I felt the same way but I seemed to get it back after awhile.
                ( I suppose that means I would be better on the directional).

                My weight 170 lbs the DT seems to like 13 mph with my 1120 ARC or 16
                with the 840 ARC. Make it more like 15 and 18 you are having some
                serious fun. I Kite in open ocean with chop waves, etc. The DT is
                really nice and eats that stuff up.

                One thing I have learned with the DT is that you can edge so hard
                that you stall it out. Keeping it a little flatter is not bad and
                when underpowered helps keep the speed up and you can head up wind
                better. I think with the bigger boards you tend to hold the speed
                down since if they get going to fast you can't set the rail. This
                does not appear to be a problem with the DT.

                When it is powered, it can really go up wind. When it is not, well
                you can struggle a little. I felt I could pump the kite better with
                the 175 TT and get up wind but I think with a little more experience
                I will get better on the DT.

                So why not stay with a bigger board? Well the DT is so light and fun
                it is painful to go back to the 175 TT. In particular turning,
                edging, and landing from jumps. the light weight and small length
                make it very easy to steer the board in the air and put it down where
                you want to.

                Another data point, a friend has the 141 which is a truly small
                looking thing. Makes the 151 seem heavy. He is a small person but
                better yet, had never been on a TT or anything smaller than a 6' ?"
                directional. He hasn't been kiting that much as he has been getting
                pretty worked on his bigger board. Finally got him out the DT141 and
                after sliding down wind for a while, lo and behold, he stayed in one
                place for 30-40 minutes in some gusty conditions. Ok, he wasn't
                doing 40' jumps and said he couldn't turn it around very well but
                gosh, he was holding his own.

                I hope this helps people. I would say if you are getting good on the
                directional, going to the wakeboard/small twin tip should not be big
                jump but there will be some new learning.

                Buying an intermediate sized TT might not be a bad idea since it can
                become your light wind board and might ease the learning curve. This
                is what I did and stepping on the DT was very easy.

                Good luck,

                David

              • callum@dr.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 2, 2001
                  Hey David,

                  Looks like we have a problem on our hands...

                  We can't really use the dinner trays till it's a solid 12, more like
                  14. Yoiu have a larger tt you no longer really want to use, and I
                  have a directional I no longer want to use. I don't want to have to
                  wait till 14 to go kitesurfing or I won't get enough in.... Lifes a
                  bitch.

                  So when the underground BigBoy tray commming out for the lighter days?
                  Or am I just going to have to buy a bigger kite than my 11.8ab???

                  Callum

                  I'm thinking a bigger kite.... Anyone flown a 22m north yet??
                • traigtrumbo@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2001
                    --- In kitesurf@y..., callum@d... wrote:
                    > Hey David,
                    >
                    > Looks like we have a problem on our hands...
                    >
                    > We can't really use the dinner trays till it's a solid 12, more like
                    > 14. Yoiu have a larger tt you no longer really want to use, and I
                    > have a directional I no longer want to use. I don't want to have to
                    > wait till 14 to go kitesurfing or I won't get enough in.... Lifes a
                    > bitch.
                    >
                    > So when the underground BigBoy tray commming out for the lighter
                    days?
                    > Or am I just going to have to buy a bigger kite than my 11.8ab???
                    >
                    > Callum
                    Hey Callum. I'm sure the big underground will rip but the e board
                    168 tt Misoscape is a light wind machine as well. By the way my 1410
                    arc with flares and leach gets me planing around ten and actually
                    getting some jumping in 11 to 12mph average on the 168 e and in around
                    12 to thirteen on the underground 162 wake. I weigh 195 pounds. My
                    friends on the large inflatos are just not getting the apparent wind
                    from kite speed I am with the PL and the large amount of sheeting we
                    set them up with. Same weight, most experienced local on Wipi 11.8
                    projected airblast and larger board no match. The 1410 is only 10
                    projected and looks tiny next to it. The guys on the 16 airblast
                    can't get the thing to move fast enough to get a light air advantage.
                    Hope the new mounting point they are experimenting with on the
                    inflatos will help. The leach definately helps on my arc 1410 as
                    does the forward mounting on the spars as my flares provide. Just
                    giving you an option not bagging on other nice kites as yes I do sell
                    arcs and used to sell and may one day again sell the inflatos. Just
                    not overly impressed from what I have seen of them yet in our average
                    lighter winds. The Mambo observations sound promising though. Good
                    luck on the bigger tt. A flat bottom (very little rocker) makes a huge
                    difference in the light winds. Have never had a complaint on any
                    underground sold and sure the new big one will be no different. The
                    big e is a stryo core construction unlike the other models, very well
                    wrapped and light (light wind reason probably for lighter board styro
                    core). Would take a realy hard hit to get water in. The undergrounds
                    are all divinicell and thus no water absorption if dinged. E board
                    price is low and holds quite well considering it's size. Have to
                    agree with Steve on his observation on the e board if not on his view
                    on arcs and launching??? Never had a student or seen others with any
                    clue have any problems launching if using brakes in the process and
                    with proper pre inflation. All the old hand inflato guys out here
                    call learning on an arc cheating as it is so darn easy. The kites
                    that stay aloft in our most gusty winds are the arcs and the
                    occasional blade. Even John's dog can launch an arc blindfolded with
                    his front paws tied. Rumor only, never witnessed his dog spitting
                    sand on the trailing edge. You can buy some of last years flaw
                    designed inflatos for near the same low price as an arc. In windsurf
                    sails the dacron stretched unevenly...Hmmm?? Maybe I should just sell
                    tire repair kits and actually make some money. Just pulling your
                    strings. John's dog actually curses like a sailor and can walk
                    upright. Darwin and genetic engineering in kites and pets. My
                    neighbors goat just got in the sports illustrated swim suit issue.
                    It's sheerin time. Gotta run. It all works. Have Fun. Traig

                  • kitebord@pacbell.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 2, 2001
                      --- In kitesurf@y..., traigtrumbo@e... wrote:

                      > Hope the new mounting point they are experimenting with on the
                      > inflatos will help.

                      I haven't heard of that one yet. Please explain.

                      Mel
                    • callum@dr.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 2, 2001
                        I think? Traig is talking about the multiple pigtail placment option
                        on some of the new inflatables. 2 Options for back line placement,
                        One right on the trailing edge and one further in, closer to the
                        front attacment point....

                        But then may be he is talking about something entirely different!!

                        Callum

                      • kitebord@pacbell.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 2, 2001
                          --- In kitesurf@y..., callum@d... wrote:
                          > I think? Traig is talking about the multiple pigtail placment
                          option
                          > on some of the new inflatables. 2 Options for back line placement,
                          > One right on the trailing edge and one further in, closer to the
                          > front attacment point....
                          >
                          > But then may be he is talking about something entirely different!!

                          I can't really see how that would help low wind performance. Aren't
                          those supposed to be for high wind, to make the kite more stable?
                          (less responsive).

                          Mel
                        • callum@dr.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 2, 2001
                            > I can't really see how that would help low wind performance.
                            Aren't
                            > those supposed to be for high wind, to make the kite more stable?
                            > (less responsive).

                            Thats what I thought as well, but that's what sprung to mind when
                            traig mentioned experimental attachment points on inflatables.
                            Perhaps he was talking about something else....
                          • traigtrumbo@earthlink.net
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001
                              --- In kitesurf@y..., kitebord@p... wrote:
                              > --- In kitesurf@y..., traigtrumbo@e... wrote:
                              >
                              > > Hope the new mounting point they are experimenting with on the
                              > > inflatos will help.
                              >
                              > I haven't heard of that one yet. Please explain.
                              >
                              > Mel
                              Hi Mel. I was refering to the rear attachment point moved
                              superiorly on the big inflatables which the guys are claiming to make
                              the large puppies turn quite a bit better. All the best. Traig