[ksurf] Re: re: help?!

  • srosso@bunge.com.br
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 1998
      also, should i buy a stunt kite to practice on before doing dry runs on
      the wipika?

      If you have never flown a 2 line kite - DEFINITELY - and then try the
      wipika on the beach (or in 1 foot of water) in light winds first... You
      dont want to crash your wipika while learning the basics ($$) and you dont
      want to get dragged accross the sand either (*Ouch*)

    • Pat
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 1998
        David,
        E-mail me directly, I am right with you - got my kite last week and I am
        about 20 miles away - near 3rd Ave in San Mateo.
        Pat
        Patfly@...
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 1998
          Hi David.............welcome to kitesurfing!!!

          David Low wrote:

          > is the sport trending toward the strapsurf-type board? or do some
          > people
          > prefer the waterski-type board?

          I have got a F one board which as far as I know is the only board
          specifically designed for kitesurfing. It is rather like a wind/surf board
          with footstraps. It is 2.15 metres I think and at first was a bit unstable
          compared to the longer board but I am getting on okay with it now.

          > which one is better for
          > learning/advanced manoeuvres?

          I have not got as far as advanced moves yet. Watch this space!!!

          > should i buy a stunt kite to practice on before doing dry runs on
          > the wipika?

          Quite a good idea if you have never flown a kite before unless you have got
          a really nice big sandy beach to practice on with the Wipika. I used a soft
          2 metre flexi-foil type kite for a while when I was waiting for my Wipika
          to arrive which was quite a help but then the Wipika is quite strong and
          can take a fairly good bashing anyway. It all depends how quick you learn.
          I taught one friend to fly the Wipika and he had never flown a kite before.
          He picked it up really quickly on a day with light wind and only crashed
          once or twice. On the other hand when I went over to France and met Laurent
          Ness he was teaching another guy who after four days still didn't have a
          clue!!

          Good luck with this new sport!!

          Martin

        • David Low
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 1998
            hi pat
            i think eric stienbroner mentioned your name. i bought 2 boards from him.
            have you tried it yet?
            dave

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 1998
              thanks for the advice, martin!