Re: [ksurf] 2002 Airblast 10.0 kite review

  • deejay@zeta.org.au
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
      G'Day Steffano,

      I found the kite to deliver smooth power, the kite was tugging but
      this was attributed to insanely sharp gusty wind. The gusts would
      hit like bullets and any kite would have had the same problem. On
      that day, I was the only one to be able to work the conditions. Sean
      was out on an 8.4 AB and was being Tea bagged violently, John was out
      on an 8.5 Freeair (4 line) and also got creamed as was Roland out on
      a naish 7.5. The 10.0 was bigger than all the other kites in the
      same conditions and I was able to stay out for quite some time. I
      attribute this to a great kite with great gusty wind performance. An
      Arc would have developed too much apparent and would more than likely
      have been difficult to control the speed.

      Best winds,

      Darren Marshall
      Australian Kiteboarding School
      www.australiankiteboardingschool.com

      unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>

      > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Stefano Rosso
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
        > G'Day Steffano,
        >
        > I found the kite to deliver smooth power, the kite was tugging but
        > this was attributed to insanely sharp gusty wind. The gusts would
        > hit like bullets and any kite would have had the same problem. On
        > that day, I was the only one to be able to work the conditions. Sean
        > was out on an 8.4 AB and was being Tea bagged violently, John was out
        > on an 8.5 Freeair (4 line) and also got creamed as was Roland out on
        > a naish 7.5. The 10.0 was bigger than all the other kites in the
        > same conditions and I was able to stay out for quite some time. I
        > attribute this to a great kite with great gusty wind performance. An
        > Arc would have developed too much apparent and would more than likely
        > have been difficult to control the speed.
        >
        > Best winds,

        but i took an 1120 arc out right after it and it felt a LOT smoother... i
        dont know... maybe i had it rigged wrong.

        my wipika 16.4 airblast is delaminating very slightly... wonder if i can get
        a new one...
      • Kitepower
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
          I have yet to see a kite jellyfish as badly as The Wipika 10.oM AB, but
          riders say you cannot feel it at the bar and it goes away as soon as you
          tighten the back lines.
          Anyone found a way to get rid of the jellyfishing on this kite?

          Cya and
          Goodwinds
          Steve McCormack
          http://www.kitepower.com.au
          mailto:sydney@...
          126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
          Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
          Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
            G'Day All,

            I would like to say a few words about the 10.0 Airblast kite and
            about a few of the comments made by people after having seen me ride
            the 10.0.

            The talk of jellyfishing is justified if you watch my kite when I
            sail, this is due to the extreme wind speeds I sail in. Wipika
            recommend the 10.0 be ridden in 12 to 18 knots. When flown in
            these "lighter winds" the kite rarely jellyfishes. In fact it is
            very stable and flies great.

            Jellyfishing only occurs when you are sailing completely depowered in
            very strong winds, as soon as you pull on the bar to apply power, the
            kite stabilizes almost immediately.

            I have been using my 10.0 in winds gusting from 15 to 27knots, as you
            can see this is well above the manufacturers recommended wind
            envelope.

            The jellyfishing causes no pull or jerking on the bar, and if you
            don't look at the kite, you cannot tell that the kite is jellying.

            When sailing yesterday, I rigged my 8.4 and was nicely powered up on
            it, before I had "an incident" with the kite, causing me to come in
            and use the 10.0 and the bar from my 11.8. The 10.0 was great fun
            and I stayed out for about two hours in these conditions which
            increased in strength till I was just too worn out to continue.

            You need to fly a 10.0 before you decide whether you will like it or
            not. The kite turns exceptionally well on short or long bars and is
            very controllable in all wind strengths that I have had it up in.

            Hope this explains some of the posts going around,

            Cheers and Best Winds,