[ksurf] Re: Reel-leash idea - almost leashless

  • thorpes@arklogic.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
      --- In kitesurf@y..., Rainer Leuschke <rainer@u...> wrote:

      > On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 thorpes@a... wrote:
      > > only have a 43.7% of board retreival though - there would be a 50%
      >
      > Yeah, that's what I figured too, unless you have a sail on either
      side and
      > only pop up the top one. Tricky to implement 8)
      >
      > > Keep guessing - I'll test it out next time I'm on the water.
      >
      > How 'bout a baloon/bladder inflating when you eject? If it lands
      upside
      > down the bladder could flip it over. Not sure how to
      > reset the apparatus though. Getting closer?
      >
      > R!

      Much closer - in fact you are "too close" - try to get a
      little "farther away" ;-)

      Steve T.
    • thorpes@arklogic.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
        --- In kitesurf@y..., Rainer Leuschke <rainer@u...> wrote:

        > How 'bout a baloon/bladder inflating when you eject?...

        > ... Getting closer?

        Okay - here's the idea ...

        with the right materials this shuold be able to compress into a
        package no larger than a reel leash - an elastic-necked pouch worn
        neck down, on the ankle.

        So waddaya think?
        How will this one kill me. Carlos? ;-)

        Steve T.
      • c_batalha@clix.pt
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
          I must say that this system is, at least, original!!!

          Just to know... How would you retrieve the system again?

          Carlos
          PS: Altought this could work fine, I prefer my "old" surfboard leash
          and my helmet when I ride my TT!!

          PS2: Just to know... I rarely have really bad crashs in my TT, cause
          I usually ride wakeboards and just use my TT in very light winds!!

        • thorpes@arklogic.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
            --- In kitesurf@y..., c_batalha@c... wrote:
            > I must say that this system is, at least, original!!!
            >
            > Just to know... How would you retrieve the system again?

            I figured you just sqish it up into a ball and stuff it back in the
            pouch (which is anchored to your leg or harness) - ready to go again!

            > Carlos
            > PS: Altought this could work fine, I prefer my "old"
            > surfboard leash and my helmet when I ride my TT!!

            Hey - I'm happy with my reel-leash + Gath on my LWD 169
            but there seemed to be a lot of people who would like to
            go leashless except for the possibility of loosing a board.

            PS - even if this idea does not work to retrieve the board
            something similar could vastly improve the chances of
            seeing a lost board in the ocean.

            Steve T.
          • janwcoffey@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
              I'm back from Maui, had a greate time.

              I have the solution. Weare a really short leash, and use a wakeboard.

              After only having the wakeboard for the whole week, I don't
              see any reason to ride my twin, just put up a bigger kite.

              If my girl wasn't interested in learning I would sell the twin.

              Jan

            • c_batalha@clix.pt
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
                YAHHHH!!!
                Someone that shares my opinion!!! You can always use a wakeboard...
                just use more kite!!!

                And, once my girl doesn't wanna try this sport, I think I'll sell my
                brunotti mirror 180!

                Carlos

                --- In kitesurf@y..., janwcoffey@y... wrote:

                > I'm back from Maui, had a greate time.
                >
                > I have the solution. Weare a really short leash, and use a
                wakeboard.

                > After only having the wakeboard for the whole week, I don't
                > see any reason to ride my twin, just put up a bigger kite.
                >
                > If my girl wasn't interested in learning I would sell the twin.
                >
                > Jan
                >
                > --- In kitesurf@y..., thorpes@a... wrote:
                > > --- In kitesurf@y..., c_batalha@c... wrote:
                > > > I must say that this system is, at least, original!!!
                > > >
                > > > Just to know... How would you retrieve the system again?
                > >
                > > I figured you just sqish it up into a ball and stuff it back in
                the
                > > pouch (which is anchored to your leg or harness) - ready to go
                > again!
                > >

                > > > Carlos
                > > > PS: Altought this could work fine, I prefer my "old"
                > > > surfboard leash and my helmet when I ride my TT!!
                > >
                > > Hey - I'm happy with my reel-leash + Gath on my LWD 169
                > > but there seemed to be a lot of people who would like to
                > > go leashless except for the possibility of loosing a board.
                > >
                > > PS - even if this idea does not work to retrieve the board
                > > something similar could vastly improve the chances of
                > > seeing a lost board in the ocean.
                > >

                > > Steve T.
              • Iain Drummond
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 8, 2001
                  Tried a 7.wibble Airblast, delaminating quicker than I can peel onions,
                  and an F-One TT of some sort (180ish?) a few months ago and decided it
                  seemed like fun. Not much practice later (barely managed to get on top
                  of the board in some light winds) I shelled out for a BT 9.4 and a BIC
                  175. I’ve been buggying for about and fly really bad-tempered 4-liners
                  as well as paragliders, so this seemed like a reasonable choice.
                  Firstly, a few words about the kit…
                  I know what kites are supposed to look like and boy was I impressed with
                  the BT. Excellent build quality, instruction book(?), bar, lines, bag
                  and the new bladders (so I’ve been reassured). It flies extremely well
                  and I found the chicken loop superb, giving about 50-60% depower
                  (although I didn’t exactly measure it). Oh, and I bought a board bag and
                  leash as well – again, excellent quality, etc, etc. Absolutely no
                  complaints about Cabrinha gear that I can’t pin down to my own
                  incompetence.
                  The board looks gorgeous. Seems a shame to go out and trash it. Can’t
                  say yet whether it’s any good (on account of me being really crap), but
                  the quality is high. Cute little set of fins, loop bindings designed for
                  the tropics (lots of padding) rather than Scottish water in winter
                  (heating elements), really nice fold-over stainless bolts. Didn’t get an
                  Allen key, which was a bit of a nuisance, but the graphics are cute and
                  it looks the part.
                  I’m not saying that this stuff is better than anything else, just that I
                  don’t think I’ve been shafted, particularly on the quality issue that
                  seems to be a rather hot topic at the moment. Believe me, I would be
                  moaning along with the rest of you if I thought otherwise.
                  Here are a few simple questions for you gurus out there and a vaguely
                  amusing tale of me trying to kill myself after a series of unfortunate
                  circumstances.

                  1) I can’t reach the trim loop whilst under way – urgently or otherwise.
                  Presumably I just need to shorten all of the leaders until I can reach
                  it. That provided some minutes of amusement for the onlookers.

                  2) When fully depowered (trim right in and lines on long at front and
                  short at back knots) the kite is extremely eager (i.e. seems impossible
                  to actually prevent) to take off from the water. What’s the easiest way
                  of killing the whole thing controllably? I don’t want to throw away the
                  bar ‘cos my lines always seem to get tangled. Flying to the edge of the
                  window is the obvious choice, but that assumes I’m not just recovering
                  from my last ditching which inevitably leaves the kite well in the power
                  zone (usually leaping into the sky just as I get my head above the water
                  again). Slam, glug, slam, glug, etc. You get the picture :-) Is this
                  just because it’s fully depowered, or my incompetence?

                  3) These board leash things, how long do people recon they should be? My
                  board is quite short, does this mean I can get away with less leash and
                  therefore less chance of the damn thing getting wrapped around my legs?
                  I'm not confident enough to contemplate binning the leash unless I'm
                  wearing a pair of fins (but then again, see below...).

                  4) Assuming I’m taking a course to my right, any comments on which foot
                  I should put in the loops first?

                  5) Do people tend to park things like BTs at the top and then put their
                  board on, or dump the kite, get in the board and then relaunch?

                  So you probably get the idea that I’m a bit incompetent, but eager to
                  learn. Learn I did, and hopefully someone else can learn the easy way
                  too.

                  The dodgy scenario…

                  Wind gusting to 22/23mph from 18 (measured on trusty paragliding wind
                  meter). Rigged BT fully depowered then spent about 2hrs body dragging,
                  including almost managing to get upwind. VERY IMPRESSED with kite. I’m
                  using the chicken loop (first thing I did was take the full-power one
                  off the bar). So I went and got the board.
                  Still having severe probs in the gusts trying to get feet in the loops
                  and the board facing the right way. Kite control seems fine, in that I
                  can keep the kite at the top of the window in the centre, but my timing
                  sucks and I keep powering up slightly – enough to spin me round.
                  Eventually get up on board and off I go for all of 10ft. I come off and
                  in the usual submarine escapade manage to spin round. Kite still flying,
                  leash now beautifully wrapped round both legs. Controlling the kite gets
                  a bit trickier as I can’t get my feet down to get any leverage on the
                  bar. That’s when I get the full slam/glug/slam/glug experience. By the
                  time I sort myself out and get the leash off my legs I have gone
                  downwind further than I should have and there is a nasty 100’
                  cliff-thing on my left, about 100yds away. Brain says “keep going
                  downwind and get in the next bay”, which is only about another 100yds.
                  Kite is now sitting in the water a bit further back in the zone than I
                  would really like, bouncing up and down in “I’m gonna launch when you’re
                  not looking” mode. About ½ sec later, off we go again.
                  At this point I am very aware of how close the cliff face is.
                  Unfortunately, my board had managed to sail downwind right in front of
                  me and wedged absolutely perfectly across AND between all 4 lines (bet
                  you can’t do that!). Up goes the kite under full power and I can’t
                  depower it – the board jams the whole thing up solid. I am now well
                  clear of the water. Buggy training comes to the fore and haul back and
                  unhook letting the bar get torn out of my hands. Problem over? I think
                  not. Bar whips out and locks perfectly in full power flying position
                  courtesy of the board. I am now gaining altitude and very aware of the
                  cliffs. The leash (which I am now dangling from) is now forcing in a
                  gentle left turn – exactly what I don’t want. Impact in not very many
                  seconds should be absolutely parallel with the cliff. A few thoughts run
                  through my mind at this point: “lucky I’m wearing that new canoeing
                  helmet”, “pity it won’t make much of a difference”, “maybe I should have
                  sprung for an impact vest”, “boy this will hurt”, “wonder which hospital
                  is nearest”, “why isn’t the kite depowering like it should”, “would you
                  look at that board wedged perfectly across the lines”, “nice the way the
                  fading sun catches the kite”, etc. The leash is the only thing holding
                  me to the kite, so I casually (not!) undo the Velcro and plummet into
                  the water. Never have I been happier to hear the sound of ripping
                  velcro. Kite lands about a foot short of the nasty rocks. Swim in with
                  board and retrieve all the bits, mercifully undamaged. Then I went home
                  shaking my head.
                  Feel free to comment. I can hear John, Colin and Steve laughing from
                  here.
                  Methinks I need some more practice…

                  Iain Drummond
                  Programme Manager
                  Memex Technology Ltd
                  iain.drummond@...
                  013552 33804 - www.memex.com
                • fishersfort@attglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 8, 2001
                    >1) I can't reach the trim loop whilst under way – urgently or
                    otherwise.
                    >Presumably I just need to shorten all of the leaders until I can
                    reach
                    >it. That provided some minutes of amusement for the onlookers.

                    >2) When fully depowered (trim right in and lines on long at
                    front and
                    >short at back knots) the kite is extremely eager (i.e. seems
                    impossible
                    >to actually prevent) to take off from the water.

                    This sounds backwards. You kill power by setting the knots to hold
                    the nose lower and let the back up.

                    >What's the easiest way
                    >of killing the whole thing controllably? I don't want to throw away
                    the
                    >bar `cos my lines always seem to get tangled. Flying to the edge of
                    the
                    >window is the obvious choice, but that assumes I'm not just
                    recovering
                    >from my last ditching which inevitably leaves the kite well in the
                    power
                    >zone (usually leaping into the sky just as I get my head above the
                    water
                    >again). Slam, glug, slam, glug, etc. You get the picture :-) Is this
                    >just because it's fully depowered, or my incompetence?

                    Kites don't have an eject button. Enjoy the thrashing. Hehehe.

                    >3) These board leash things, how long do people recon they
                    should be? My
                    >board is quite short, does this mean I can get away with less leash
                    and
                    >therefore less chance of the damn thing getting wrapped around my
                    legs?
                    >I'm not confident enough to contemplate binning the leash unless I'm
                    >wearing a pair of fins (but then again, see below...).

                    It will happen with all leashes. Hehehehe.

                    >4) Assuming I'm taking a course to my right, any comments on
                    which foot
                    I should put in the loops first?

                    >5) Do people tend to park things like BTs at the top and then
                    put their
                    board on,

                    YES

                    >or dump the kite, get in the board and then relaunch? NO

                    >Feel free to comment. I can hear John, Colin and Steve laughing from
                    >here.
                    >Methinks I need some more practice…

                    That was a great post! You made me laugh.

                    Dwight

                    Iain Drummond
                    Programme Manager
                    Memex Technology Ltd
                    iain.drummond@m...
                    013552 33804 - www.memex.com
                  • surfsup@ragingbull.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 8, 2001
                      >What's the easiest way
                      >of killing the whole thing controllably? I don't want to throw away
                      the
                      >bar `cos my lines always seem to get tangled. Flying to the edge of
                      the
                      >window is the obvious choice, but that assumes I'm not just
                      recovering
                      >from my last ditching which inevitably leaves the kite well in the
                      power
                      >zone (usually leaping into the sky just as I get my head above the
                      water
                      >again). Slam, glug, slam, glug, etc. You get the picture :-) Is this
                      >just because it's fully depowered, or my incompetence?

                      I'm a beginner at this, but if you're looking for a way to get out of
                      the kite completely, you should have some sort of system devised to
                      allow you to do this. I tend to think of this as the "eject button"
                      that another poster says doesn't exist. It's pretty close to that.
                      Mel has been instrumental in helping me set this safety-system up and
                      it didn't take very long - or much cash. Besides, how much is your
                      life worth thrashed against a 100' cliff? More than some extra rope
                      and shackles...

                      Here's my files that I posted in the file folder to give you an idea
                      of the system:

                      Not only is the system functional, but it makes me feel a lot better
                      about impending danger, or danger you don't see coming...

                    • deejay@zeta.org.au
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 8, 2001
                        G'Day Iain,

                        I suggest taking a lesson or two with a qualified instructor. The
                        instructor will be able to sort out your rig properly, tune it right
                        and then give you some pointers on how to correct the mistakes you
                        are making.

                        You will be heartened by the knowledge that we have all been through
                        similar difficulties when learning. A single lesson can make the
                        world of difference with the right instructor.

                        Have fun and fly safe,

                        Darren Marshall
                        Australian Kiteboarding School
                        www.australiankiteboardingschool.com

                      • iclimbtrees@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 8, 2001
                          TAKE SOME LESSONS BEFORE YOU KILL YOURSELF/SOMEONE!!!!!!

                        • Iain Drummond
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 9, 2001
                            The concensus seems to be split between those that sympathise and those
                            that think I'm a liability.

                            Nothing new there!

                            Thanks to all those who posted their advice, all of which looks sane and
                            reasonable.

                            Anyone know of any kitesurfing instructors in Scotland?
                          • ichiman1@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 1, 2001
                              Sounds like an average day of kitesurfing to me...
                              Is there any other way to kitesurf??