RE: [ksurf] Re: 15 foot leash w/ optional helmet is safe

  • Kitepower
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
      Personally I have found long leashes even more dangerous than the short
      ones/reel leash. This is because the leash is so long, it can store more
      energy, and will come back at you with great force, eventually.
      But the worst feature was it getting wrapped around the fins and me. I even
      had it somehow tie itself in an overhand knot around my legs once!

      Cya and
      Goodwinds
      Steve McCormack
      http://www.kitepower.com.au
      mailto:sydney@...
      126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
      Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
      Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
        I don't know how long a leash you tried but I am shocked and suprised
        by your experience. *Just kidding - it's fun to be dramatic ;-)*.
        However, while a longer leash can store more energy it also
        releases it much more slowly than a shorter leash. The end result is
        that the rebound effect is less than that of a short leash.
        Additionally, because the board has to fly or skip farther to hit you
        it has much more time and distance to slow down or stop. The net is
        that you are significantly less likely to have a board hit you when
        using a 15 ft. leash vs. an 8 ft. leash. The tangling is a minor
        bummer, but I have found that to be a problem with any leash, not
        just long ones. And, it's pretty rare as far as I have experienced.
        Also, just to be clear, I am advocating long leashes as a safe
        alternative to short leashes for learning. A leash is pretty much
        mandatory, or at least a heck of a lot more convenient when learning.
        When you are eating it or dropping the kite a lot, you would waste a
        lot of your learning time chasing your board. With a long leash you
        can just reel it in and go. Then when you get better you can chuck
        the leash if you choose. However, I think it makes the sport much
        safer for beginners when using a long leash vs. a short leash. Cya!
        Shred on,
        Matt

        unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/