[ksurf] Re: re: help?!

  • srosso@bunge.com.br
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 1998
      also, should i buy a stunt kite to practice on before doing dry runs on
      the wipika?

      If you have never flown a 2 line kite - DEFINITELY - and then try the
      wipika on the beach (or in 1 foot of water) in light winds first... You
      dont want to crash your wipika while learning the basics ($$) and you dont
      want to get dragged accross the sand either (*Ouch*)

    • Michel Montmigny
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 1998
        David Low wrote:

        > hi everyone!
        > i just got my new wipika and i'm ready to go...never kitesurfed
        > before...also bought 2 kiteboards (waterski type) from an expert
        > kitesurfer. it has a fixed wakeski binding for the front foot. is the
        > sport trending toward the strapsurf-type board? or do some people
        > prefer the waterski-type board? which one is better for
        > learning/advanced manoeuvres?
        > also, should i buy a stunt kite to practice on before doing dry runs on
        > the wipika?
        > thanks,
        > dave
        > san francisco

        hello Dave,

        For sure you are better to know everything about pulls and reaction of
        your wing before attempt to go on the water.
        So, a good practice session will be very important. And this any sail or
        wing you use.

        Have very nice breeze

        Michel Montminy
        www.conceptair.com

      • Pat
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 1998
          David,
          E-mail me directly, I am right with you - got my kite last week and I am
          about 20 miles away - near 3rd Ave in San Mateo.
          Pat
          Patfly@...
          >i just got my new wipika and i'm ready to go...never kitesurfed
          >before...also bought 2 kiteboards (waterski type) from an expert
          >kitesurfer. it has a fixed wakeski binding for the front foot. is the
          >sport trending toward the strapsurf-type board? or do some people
          >prefer the waterski-type board? which one is better for
          >learning/advanced manoeuvres?
          >also, should i buy a stunt kite to practice on before doing dry runs on
          >the wipika?
          >thanks,
          >dave
          >san francisco

        • Martin Rothwell
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 1998
            Hi David.............welcome to kitesurfing!!!

            David Low wrote:

            > is the sport trending toward the strapsurf-type board? or do some
            > people
            > prefer the waterski-type board?

            I have got a F one board which as far as I know is the only board
            specifically designed for kitesurfing. It is rather like a wind/surf board
            with footstraps. It is 2.15 metres I think and at first was a bit unstable
            compared to the longer board but I am getting on okay with it now.

            > which one is better for
            > learning/advanced manoeuvres?

            I have not got as far as advanced moves yet. Watch this space!!!

            > should i buy a stunt kite to practice on before doing dry runs on
            > the wipika?

            Quite a good idea if you have never flown a kite before unless you have got
            a really nice big sandy beach to practice on with the Wipika. I used a soft
            2 metre flexi-foil type kite for a while when I was waiting for my Wipika
            to arrive which was quite a help but then the Wipika is quite strong and
            can take a fairly good bashing anyway. It all depends how quick you learn.
            I taught one friend to fly the Wipika and he had never flown a kite before.
            He picked it up really quickly on a day with light wind and only crashed
            once or twice. On the other hand when I went over to France and met Laurent
            Ness he was teaching another guy who after four days still didn't have a
            clue!!

            Good luck with this new sport!!

            Martin

          • David Low
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 1998
              hi pat
              i think eric stienbroner mentioned your name. i bought 2 boards from him.
              have you tried it yet?
              dave

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 1998
                thanks for the advice, martin!