Re: 15 foot leash w/ optional helmet is safe

  • arjenmonster@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1 12:12 PM
      > I use my 15 ft. surf leash kiting both in flat water and in surf
      > and my board has never been flung close to me.
      > Additionally, since it's doubled over you are only dragging about 7
      > feet of leash behind your board which I don't really notice,

      Sounds O.K., Matt,

      but don't you ever gettangled in the leash, doesn't it get aroud your
      legs, bar, harness etc?

      Hang Loose,

      Arjen.
    • kiter@waverat.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1 12:52 PM
        Ah, good point. I meant to discuss that. The longer leash can loosely
        wrap a leg (I attach the leash at my ankle) maybe once per session. I
        also once had a wave push the board through my kite lines. Then I had
        to take off my leash and pull it through the lines and put it back
        on. All while flying the kite. Not a big deal though. These could
        probably happen (although less frequently) with a shorter leash as
        well. They have not been a source of problems for me and they have
        been outweighed by not having to drag back to my board out in the
        ocean after dropping my kite. Ironically, unlike surfing, I think
        kiting in surf is the best place not to use a leash. You can get away
        from your board if your eat it, and the board gets pushed to the
        beach or inside the reef after a little while. For flat water I have
        liked the long leash. Thanks for the question. Hope I answered it
        clearly.
        Matt

        --- In kitesurf@y..., arjenmonster@h... wrote:
        > > I use my 15 ft. surf leash kiting both in flat water and in
        surf
        > > and my board has never been flung close to me.
        > > Additionally, since it's doubled over you are only dragging about
        7
        > > feet of leash behind your board which I don't really notice,
        >
        > Sounds O.K., Matt,
        >
        > but don't you ever gettangled in the leash, doesn't it get aroud
        your
        > legs, bar, harness etc?
        >
        > Hang Loose,
        >
        > Arjen.
      • Kitepower
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1 1:43 PM
          Personally I have found long leashes even more dangerous than the short
          ones/reel leash. This is because the leash is so long, it can store more
          energy, and will come back at you with great force, eventually.
          But the worst feature was it getting wrapped around the fins and me. I even
          had it somehow tie itself in an overhand knot around my legs once!

          Cya and
          Goodwinds
          Steve McCormack
          http://www.kitepower.com.au
          mailto:sydney@...
          126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
          Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
          Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic

        • kiter@waverat.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1 5:53 PM
            I don't know how long a leash you tried but I am shocked and suprised
            by your experience. *Just kidding - it's fun to be dramatic ;-)*.
            However, while a longer leash can store more energy it also
            releases it much more slowly than a shorter leash. The end result is
            that the rebound effect is less than that of a short leash.
            Additionally, because the board has to fly or skip farther to hit you
            it has much more time and distance to slow down or stop. The net is
            that you are significantly less likely to have a board hit you when
            using a 15 ft. leash vs. an 8 ft. leash. The tangling is a minor
            bummer, but I have found that to be a problem with any leash, not
            just long ones. And, it's pretty rare as far as I have experienced.
            Also, just to be clear, I am advocating long leashes as a safe
            alternative to short leashes for learning. A leash is pretty much
            mandatory, or at least a heck of a lot more convenient when learning.
            When you are eating it or dropping the kite a lot, you would waste a
            lot of your learning time chasing your board. With a long leash you
            can just reel it in and go. Then when you get better you can chuck
            the leash if you choose. However, I think it makes the sport much
            safer for beginners when using a long leash vs. a short leash. Cya!
            Shred on,
            Matt

            unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/