Re: [ksurf] Re:Try it and surprise yourself

  • kitesrfer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
      I have to agree with Rainer on this one. I lost my board due to tidal
      current taking my board straight upwind in failing winds a while back. I was
      very fortunate to have another kitesurfer find it and return it to me about
      an hour later.

      Just two days ago, I was out in winds 25 to 38 mph average 30 mph near
      onshore winds, in the open ocean away from strong tidal currents. I ditched
      my board prior a poor jump landing. I tried body dragging for over a half
      hour but succeeded in just loosing ground a little more with each pass. In
      steadier winds, I wouldn't have had any problem dragging to it. In this case
      I finally gave up, dragged to shore. I then was eventually able to see my
      board in the surf, finally, and ran down to wait for it to wash in.

      I wasn't without a leash totally by accident, as I had broken a new heavy
      Dakine leash earlier in the week on it after a particularly spectacular, high
      speed bad landing in similar high winds. So in higher unstable winds, I
      don't mind not having a leash and probably won't use one other than maybe a
      reel leash. As Rainer says though, if you don't use one, you have to accept
      potentially losing your board under some circumstances.

      Good winds,
      Rick

      << On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Colin Gowland wrote:
      > thing- be prepared to loose a board if you don't wear a leash. A near same
      > experience happened when I was using an 11.0 Free Air in 2-line mode- but
      it
      > happened close to the beach and all was good in the end. Another reason to
      > use 4-line kites with some depowering capability.

      I lost a board in the gorge in gusty/overpowering conditions with a 4 line
      kite. Reportedly the same thing happend to Robby at the gorge games
      (except he had somebody fetch it for him). If you only sail in easy
      conditions or can deal with loosing a board every now and then leashless
      is fine.

      R!

    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
        Yeah I think we should emphasize that body dragging is really only practical
        with a 4 lined inflatable/Arc style kite.
        I have never been able to body drag upwind with foils.
        It is one of the first things we teach, once a student is over the
        excitement of their first body dragging experience.

        Cya and
        Goodwinds
        Steve McCormack
        http://www.kitepower.com.au
        mailto:sydney@...
        Open 7 days
        126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
        Phone +61293157894