15 foot leash w/ optional helmet is safe

  • kiter@waverat.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hi all,
      I have been reading the leash/nonleash threads and it seems clear
      that kiting without a leash leaves you less encumbered and is safer
      with respect to the board hitting you. The downside is that you may
      lose a board, and, I have observed that many people spend 10-15
      minutes total per session dragging back to their board instead of
      getting better at kiting.
      I use my 15 ft. surf leash kiting both in flat water and in surf
      and my board has never been flung close to me. I have paid attention,
      and that long a leash has always kept it way away from me even when
      screwing up a jump and getting yanked big time. My point is just that
      a 15 ft. leash, especially combined with a helmet, is very safe.
      Additionally, since it's doubled over you are only dragging about 7
      feet of leash behind your board which I don't really notice, although
      I am used to surfing with one. In any case, using a long leash and
      helmet seems to be a fair trade-off for those folks who don't want to
      risk losing a board or for those who fall more often, either because
      they are pushing themselves on tricks or because they are learning.
      It seems logical to me that people would rather spend time kiting
      rather than body dragging after their board. And, having the leash
      there makes you more likely to try new things because you don't have
      a potentially long bodydrag as a consequence of a wipeout.
      Thought some people could learn something from this alternative pro-
      long-leash viewpoint.
      Rip it up,
      Matt
    • arjenmonster@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
        > I use my 15 ft. surf leash kiting both in flat water and in surf
        > and my board has never been flung close to me.
        > Additionally, since it's doubled over you are only dragging about 7
        > feet of leash behind your board which I don't really notice,

        Sounds O.K., Matt,

        but don't you ever gettangled in the leash, doesn't it get aroud your
        legs, bar, harness etc?

        Hang Loose,

        Arjen.
      • kiter@waverat.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
          Ah, good point. I meant to discuss that. The longer leash can loosely
          wrap a leg (I attach the leash at my ankle) maybe once per session. I
          also once had a wave push the board through my kite lines. Then I had
          to take off my leash and pull it through the lines and put it back
          on. All while flying the kite. Not a big deal though. These could
          probably happen (although less frequently) with a shorter leash as
          well. They have not been a source of problems for me and they have
          been outweighed by not having to drag back to my board out in the
          ocean after dropping my kite. Ironically, unlike surfing, I think
          kiting in surf is the best place not to use a leash. You can get away
          from your board if your eat it, and the board gets pushed to the
          beach or inside the reef after a little while. For flat water I have
          liked the long leash. Thanks for the question. Hope I answered it
          clearly.
          Matt

          --- In kitesurf@y..., arjenmonster@h... wrote:
          > > I use my 15 ft. surf leash kiting both in flat water and in
          surf
          > > and my board has never been flung close to me.
          > > Additionally, since it's doubled over you are only dragging about
          7
          > > feet of leash behind your board which I don't really notice,
          >
          > Sounds O.K., Matt,
          >
          > but don't you ever gettangled in the leash, doesn't it get aroud
          your
          > legs, bar, harness etc?
          >
          > Hang Loose,
          >
          > Arjen.
        • Kitepower
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
            Personally I have found long leashes even more dangerous than the short
            ones/reel leash. This is because the leash is so long, it can store more
            energy, and will come back at you with great force, eventually.
            But the worst feature was it getting wrapped around the fins and me. I even
            had it somehow tie itself in an overhand knot around my legs once!

            Cya and
            Goodwinds
            Steve McCormack
            http://www.kitepower.com.au
            mailto:sydney@...
            126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
            Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
            Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic

          • kiter@waverat.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
              I don't know how long a leash you tried but I am shocked and suprised
              by your experience. *Just kidding - it's fun to be dramatic ;-)*.
              However, while a longer leash can store more energy it also
              releases it much more slowly than a shorter leash. The end result is
              that the rebound effect is less than that of a short leash.
              Additionally, because the board has to fly or skip farther to hit you
              it has much more time and distance to slow down or stop. The net is
              that you are significantly less likely to have a board hit you when
              using a 15 ft. leash vs. an 8 ft. leash. The tangling is a minor
              bummer, but I have found that to be a problem with any leash, not
              just long ones. And, it's pretty rare as far as I have experienced.
              Also, just to be clear, I am advocating long leashes as a safe
              alternative to short leashes for learning. A leash is pretty much
              mandatory, or at least a heck of a lot more convenient when learning.
              When you are eating it or dropping the kite a lot, you would waste a
              lot of your learning time chasing your board. With a long leash you
              can just reel it in and go. Then when you get better you can chuck
              the leash if you choose. However, I think it makes the sport much
              safer for beginners when using a long leash vs. a short leash. Cya!
              Shred on,
              Matt

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/