Re: [ksurf] Re: Reel Leash Connections-Go Leashless

  • Marc Munzer
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
      The method works fine with the flysurfers. I have lost my board three times
      and always got back to the board. However, I've never been super
      overpowered though. And all three times I was on a directional so I was
      probably on a smaller kite than I would have been with if I had been on my
      small twintip.? I think it should work anyways though because with your
      body in the water, you never develop any real forward speed, so there won't
      be any apparent wind to work against. Just make sure to fly the kite down
      very slowly and hold it locked in position. Each time you sweep the kite
      you will loose ground.

      Marc

      At 09:18 01-11-01 -0500, you wrote:
      >It might work with inflatibles but I've tried with a two line foil with
      >very little success. I believe, since I'm usually riding overpowered
      >to powered and edging to "depower" the kite that I cant get enough
      >edge or hold enough edge with my body. When I sweep the kite
      >the result is more like a beginner's body dragging (i.e., I get
      >dragged downwind or pulled up off my body's edge). Anyone have
      >any luck with a foil using the "leashless method"?
      > Dennis
      >Some of the other kiters around here ride leashless and I've lost my
      >board even with a leash about 5 or 6 times. Luckily most of the
      >time there's other kiters and windsurfers who'll gladly drag your
      >board back to you. I've only had to drag into shore and swim out to
      >my board once. One other point about retrieving your board is its
      >color. Unfortunately my twin tip is dark blue on the bottom and
      >black on the top. I lose sight of it when I drag. I'm having a
      >custom wakeboard made and I can pick the color and graphics.
      >Any ideas as to what is the most visible color against the water?
      >Our water here tends to be the darker, deep blue of the Atlantic.
      >One other thing I've been toying with (besides having my name and
      >address as part of the graphics{this way is someone "finds" it
      >they'd have to do a bit of board repair work to remove my name}) is
      >some type of strobe or glowstick that's activated when your feet are
      >seperated from the board. I guess I could just buy an inflatible but
      >that is too easy a solution ;-)
      >
      >Support your local kitesurf association !

    • Rainer Leuschke
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
        On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 dlent@... wrote:
        > custom wakeboard made and I can pick the color and graphics.
        > Any ideas as to what is the most visible color against the water?

        coast guard orange (duh ;) or red.
        R!