Re: Reel Leash Connections-Go Leashless

  • dlent@nycap.rr.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
      It might work with inflatibles but I've tried with a two line foil with
      very little success. I believe, since I'm usually riding overpowered
      to powered and edging to "depower" the kite that I cant get enough
      edge or hold enough edge with my body. When I sweep the kite
      the result is more like a beginner's body dragging (i.e., I get
      dragged downwind or pulled up off my body's edge). Anyone have
      any luck with a foil using the "leashless method"?
      Dennis
      Some of the other kiters around here ride leashless and I've lost my
      board even with a leash about 5 or 6 times. Luckily most of the
      time there's other kiters and windsurfers who'll gladly drag your
      board back to you. I've only had to drag into shore and swim out to
      my board once. One other point about retrieving your board is its
      color. Unfortunately my twin tip is dark blue on the bottom and
      black on the top. I lose sight of it when I drag. I'm having a
      custom wakeboard made and I can pick the color and graphics.
      Any ideas as to what is the most visible color against the water?
      Our water here tends to be the darker, deep blue of the Atlantic.
      One other thing I've been toying with (besides having my name and
      address as part of the graphics{this way is someone "finds" it
      they'd have to do a bit of board repair work to remove my name}) is
      some type of strobe or glowstick that's activated when your feet are
      seperated from the board. I guess I could just buy an inflatible but
      that is too easy a solution ;-)
    • Marc Munzer
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
        The method works fine with the flysurfers. I have lost my board three times
        and always got back to the board. However, I've never been super
        overpowered though. And all three times I was on a directional so I was
        probably on a smaller kite than I would have been with if I had been on my
        small twintip.? I think it should work anyways though because with your
        body in the water, you never develop any real forward speed, so there won't
        be any apparent wind to work against. Just make sure to fly the kite down
        very slowly and hold it locked in position. Each time you sweep the kite
        you will loose ground.

        Marc

        At 09:18 01-11-01 -0500, you wrote:
        >It might work with inflatibles but I've tried with a two line foil with
        >very little success. I believe, since I'm usually riding overpowered
        >to powered and edging to "depower" the kite that I cant get enough
        >edge or hold enough edge with my body. When I sweep the kite
        >the result is more like a beginner's body dragging (i.e., I get
        >dragged downwind or pulled up off my body's edge). Anyone have
        >any luck with a foil using the "leashless method"?
        > Dennis
        >Some of the other kiters around here ride leashless and I've lost my
        >board even with a leash about 5 or 6 times. Luckily most of the
        >time there's other kiters and windsurfers who'll gladly drag your
        >board back to you. I've only had to drag into shore and swim out to
        >my board once. One other point about retrieving your board is its
        >color. Unfortunately my twin tip is dark blue on the bottom and
        >black on the top. I lose sight of it when I drag. I'm having a
        >custom wakeboard made and I can pick the color and graphics.
        >Any ideas as to what is the most visible color against the water?
        >Our water here tends to be the darker, deep blue of the Atlantic.
        >One other thing I've been toying with (besides having my name and
        >address as part of the graphics{this way is someone "finds" it
        >they'd have to do a bit of board repair work to remove my name}) is
        >some type of strobe or glowstick that's activated when your feet are
        >seperated from the board. I guess I could just buy an inflatible but
        >that is too easy a solution ;-)
        >
        >Support your local kitesurf association !

      • Rainer Leuschke
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
          On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 dlent@... wrote:
          > custom wakeboard made and I can pick the color and graphics.
          > Any ideas as to what is the most visible color against the water?

          coast guard orange (duh ;) or red.
          R!