Re: [ksurf] 2002 Airblast 10.0 kite review

  • Roland Andrag
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
      > I tried one too last weekend. In gusty winds (and quite overpowered) I was
      > little annoyed at how the kite would not fly smoothly... It seemed to be
      > pulling too much or too little and give me some sharp tugs in between....

      This tends to happen on all kites I've flown when WAY overpowered. Also
      happens on a windsurf sail. If you are totally sheeted out and slowly sheet
      in, there is a very quick jump in power as 'proper' flow is established
      around the kite/sail. In this situation I need to go fetch a smaller kite..

      Roland
    • bnow@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
        Stefano

        What wind speed(s) or range did you try the AB 10.0 in? When you
        said "quite overpowered" what was the wind speed? Thanks.

        Mark

        unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • deejay@zeta.org.au
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
          G'Day Steffano,

          I found the kite to deliver smooth power, the kite was tugging but
          this was attributed to insanely sharp gusty wind. The gusts would
          hit like bullets and any kite would have had the same problem. On
          that day, I was the only one to be able to work the conditions. Sean
          was out on an 8.4 AB and was being Tea bagged violently, John was out
          on an 8.5 Freeair (4 line) and also got creamed as was Roland out on
          a naish 7.5. The 10.0 was bigger than all the other kites in the
          same conditions and I was able to stay out for quite some time. I
          attribute this to a great kite with great gusty wind performance. An
          Arc would have developed too much apparent and would more than likely
          have been difficult to control the speed.

        • Stefano Rosso
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
            > G'Day Steffano,
            >
            > I found the kite to deliver smooth power, the kite was tugging but
            > this was attributed to insanely sharp gusty wind. The gusts would
            > hit like bullets and any kite would have had the same problem. On
            > that day, I was the only one to be able to work the conditions. Sean
            > was out on an 8.4 AB and was being Tea bagged violently, John was out
            > on an 8.5 Freeair (4 line) and also got creamed as was Roland out on
            > a naish 7.5. The 10.0 was bigger than all the other kites in the
            > same conditions and I was able to stay out for quite some time. I
            > attribute this to a great kite with great gusty wind performance. An
            > Arc would have developed too much apparent and would more than likely
            > have been difficult to control the speed.
            >
            > Best winds,

            but i took an 1120 arc out right after it and it felt a LOT smoother... i
            dont know... maybe i had it rigged wrong.

            my wipika 16.4 airblast is delaminating very slightly... wonder if i can get
            a new one...
          • Kitepower
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
              I have yet to see a kite jellyfish as badly as The Wipika 10.oM AB, but
              riders say you cannot feel it at the bar and it goes away as soon as you
              tighten the back lines.
              Anyone found a way to get rid of the jellyfishing on this kite?

              Cya and
              Goodwinds
              Steve McCormack
              http://www.kitepower.com.au
              mailto:sydney@...
              126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
              Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
              Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
                G'Day All,

                I would like to say a few words about the 10.0 Airblast kite and
                about a few of the comments made by people after having seen me ride
                the 10.0.

                The talk of jellyfishing is justified if you watch my kite when I
                sail, this is due to the extreme wind speeds I sail in. Wipika
                recommend the 10.0 be ridden in 12 to 18 knots. When flown in
                these "lighter winds" the kite rarely jellyfishes. In fact it is
                very stable and flies great.

                Jellyfishing only occurs when you are sailing completely depowered in
                very strong winds, as soon as you pull on the bar to apply power, the
                kite stabilizes almost immediately.

                I have been using my 10.0 in winds gusting from 15 to 27knots, as you
                can see this is well above the manufacturers recommended wind
                envelope.

                The jellyfishing causes no pull or jerking on the bar, and if you
                don't look at the kite, you cannot tell that the kite is jellying.

                When sailing yesterday, I rigged my 8.4 and was nicely powered up on
                it, before I had "an incident" with the kite, causing me to come in
                and use the 10.0 and the bar from my 11.8. The 10.0 was great fun
                and I stayed out for about two hours in these conditions which
                increased in strength till I was just too worn out to continue.

                You need to fly a 10.0 before you decide whether you will like it or
                not. The kite turns exceptionally well on short or long bars and is
                very controllable in all wind strengths that I have had it up in.

                Hope this explains some of the posts going around,

                Cheers and Best Winds,