Re: [ksurf] 2002 Airblast 10.0 kite review

  • Stefano Rosso
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hi Deejay

      I tried one too last weekend. In gusty winds (and quite overpowered) I was a
      little annoyed at how the kite would not fly smoothly... It seemed to be
      pulling too much or too little and give me some sharp tugs in between.... I
      have an airblast 16.4 2001 that doesnt feel like that at all (maybe cause its
      so much bigger).

      While riding with the 10.0 I got annoyed with all the tugging so i switched
      to the arc 1120 (which i realize is smaller) and suddenly the wind felt VERY
      smooth...

      did you compare it to an ARC ? did you find its pull to be "tuggy" ?

      thanks
      stefano

      deejay@... wrote:

      > Hey kite freaks,
      >
      > I have flown the new 10.0 Airblast yesterday in the worst gusty winds
      > of my career, The wind was blowing from 12 knots to almost thirty
      > knots and the gusts were hitting like cannonballs.
      >
      > The 10.0 was a bit big in the gusts but the stability and
      > responsiveness of the kite was absolutely stunning. I started using
      > a 70cm bar and found it to be perfect for this kite.
      >
      > The turning of the kite is almost as good as the 8.4 but has more
      > power. I was fairly well sheeted in yesterday due to wind strength
      > but found the kite to have plenty of loft for big jumps and sustained
      > airtime. The relaunchability of the kite was excellent and I found
      > that the rearward relaunch was easier than the 2001 models. I
      > dropped the kite once and didn't need to use the relaunch as it
      > flicked onto it's wing before the need arose.
      >
      > The upwind performance was striking. Using the Stonker 144
      > wakeboard, I was pointing up to 45 degrees off the eye of the wind.
      > I haven't pointed that high in a long time on a kite.
      >
      > The kite itself doesnt look like it has changed an awful lot from the
      > last seasons kites, but the proof is in the flying, much improved!
      >
      > Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth.
      >
      > Best winds,
      >
      > Darren Marshall
      > Australian Kiteboarding School
      > www.australiankiteboardingschool.com

    • Roland Andrag
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
        > I tried one too last weekend. In gusty winds (and quite overpowered) I was
        > little annoyed at how the kite would not fly smoothly... It seemed to be
        > pulling too much or too little and give me some sharp tugs in between....

        This tends to happen on all kites I've flown when WAY overpowered. Also
        happens on a windsurf sail. If you are totally sheeted out and slowly sheet
        in, there is a very quick jump in power as 'proper' flow is established
        around the kite/sail. In this situation I need to go fetch a smaller kite..

        Roland
      • bnow@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
          Stefano

          What wind speed(s) or range did you try the AB 10.0 in? When you
          said "quite overpowered" what was the wind speed? Thanks.

          Mark

          unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • deejay@zeta.org.au
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
            G'Day Steffano,

            I found the kite to deliver smooth power, the kite was tugging but
            this was attributed to insanely sharp gusty wind. The gusts would
            hit like bullets and any kite would have had the same problem. On
            that day, I was the only one to be able to work the conditions. Sean
            was out on an 8.4 AB and was being Tea bagged violently, John was out
            on an 8.5 Freeair (4 line) and also got creamed as was Roland out on
            a naish 7.5. The 10.0 was bigger than all the other kites in the
            same conditions and I was able to stay out for quite some time. I
            attribute this to a great kite with great gusty wind performance. An
            Arc would have developed too much apparent and would more than likely
            have been difficult to control the speed.

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
              > G'Day Steffano,
              >
              > I found the kite to deliver smooth power, the kite was tugging but
              > this was attributed to insanely sharp gusty wind. The gusts would
              > hit like bullets and any kite would have had the same problem. On
              > that day, I was the only one to be able to work the conditions. Sean
              > was out on an 8.4 AB and was being Tea bagged violently, John was out
              > on an 8.5 Freeair (4 line) and also got creamed as was Roland out on
              > a naish 7.5. The 10.0 was bigger than all the other kites in the
              > same conditions and I was able to stay out for quite some time. I
              > attribute this to a great kite with great gusty wind performance. An
              > Arc would have developed too much apparent and would more than likely
              > have been difficult to control the speed.
              >
              > Best winds,

              but i took an 1120 arc out right after it and it felt a LOT smoother... i
              dont know... maybe i had it rigged wrong.

              my wipika 16.4 airblast is delaminating very slightly... wonder if i can get
              a new one...
            • Kitepower
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
                I have yet to see a kite jellyfish as badly as The Wipika 10.oM AB, but
                riders say you cannot feel it at the bar and it goes away as soon as you
                tighten the back lines.
                Anyone found a way to get rid of the jellyfishing on this kite?

                Cya and
                Goodwinds
                Steve McCormack
                http://www.kitepower.com.au
                mailto:sydney@...
                126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
                  G'Day All,

                  I would like to say a few words about the 10.0 Airblast kite and
                  about a few of the comments made by people after having seen me ride
                  the 10.0.

                  The talk of jellyfishing is justified if you watch my kite when I
                  sail, this is due to the extreme wind speeds I sail in. Wipika
                  recommend the 10.0 be ridden in 12 to 18 knots. When flown in
                  these "lighter winds" the kite rarely jellyfishes. In fact it is
                  very stable and flies great.

                  Jellyfishing only occurs when you are sailing completely depowered in
                  very strong winds, as soon as you pull on the bar to apply power, the
                  kite stabilizes almost immediately.

                  I have been using my 10.0 in winds gusting from 15 to 27knots, as you
                  can see this is well above the manufacturers recommended wind
                  envelope.

                  The jellyfishing causes no pull or jerking on the bar, and if you
                  don't look at the kite, you cannot tell that the kite is jellying.

                  When sailing yesterday, I rigged my 8.4 and was nicely powered up on
                  it, before I had "an incident" with the kite, causing me to come in
                  and use the 10.0 and the bar from my 11.8. The 10.0 was great fun
                  and I stayed out for about two hours in these conditions which
                  increased in strength till I was just too worn out to continue.

                  You need to fly a 10.0 before you decide whether you will like it or
                  not. The kite turns exceptionally well on short or long bars and is
                  very controllable in all wind strengths that I have had it up in.

                  Hope this explains some of the posts going around,

                  Cheers and Best Winds,