Rebel from Windtech

  • Hampus Hoverby
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hi,

      Has anyone here tried the "Rebel" from Windtech?
      How is the Rebel compared to Naish, Wipika and NorthRhino...
      in construction and in the air?

      //

      Hampus
      Kitepower Sweden
      Tel. 00 +46(0)46-24 78 10
      Fax. 00 +46(0)46-24 71 36
      www.kitepower.se (Butik)
      www.kajt.com (Galleri)
    • Marc Munzer
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
        I have just started selling the rebels in Denmark, so I may be biased...
        Also this is the first inflatable I have used properly so I won't compare
        it to any other inflatables.

        I checked out the construction and it seems very well made. I can't see any
        places which seem to be weak. In the 3 months of riding we have given them
        we have had one puncture. We have three here, a 14, a 11.6 and a 9.2. The
        14 and the 11,6 were I think early editions. The 9.2 we got recently has a
        wingtip batten and the other two don't. I would assume that the others now
        come with wingtip battens too.

        The lines are nice in that they are colour coded. The bar is setup with a
        5th line which makes reverse launch very nice. Also the 5th line is
        connected to the leash so that when you release the bar, the kite stalls
        and falls to the water without power like a foil. Its also very nice
        because the leash is only 1m long, when you drop the kite, the bar ends up
        2m from you, instead of the typical 10m with a normal inflatable kite
        leash. I will post a picture at some point on my web site since I think the
        concept is confusing for some people.

        The big sizes come with a big pump, the 9,2 came with the typical small
        pump. Each kite comes with a nice bag. The bag is a bit small, in that you
        need to pack the kite nicely to get the kite in the bag.

        There are one way ball valves on the struts and a normal valve on the
        leading edge bladder. I have no problem with the valves. I find it an easy
        kite to set up.

        The depower loop is made with webbing which goes around the bar, not
        through the bar, so wear is pretty minimal.

        The kite is very well balanced in the air. I used it the first time I was
        trying jumps and I stuffed up pretty well every jump and flew way
        underneath the kite and each time the kite would just hang there with
        completely slack lines and drift back until the lines were good again. I
        don't know what the other inflatables are like, but I was super impressed
        with this.

        I am not sure what the upwind capability is, but on the first day I was
        sailing with it, I was outpointing people with Naish ARXs. I have no idea
        what their ability level was or what boards they were riding, so its not a
        comparison, but just a statement that it has good upwind ability :-)

        Negatives:

        I usually use a flysurfer foil, so I am not used to having to pull on the
        bar all the time to keep it powered up, so I got tired quite quickly. But I
        guess this is a problem with all inflatables? Maybe a sheetcleat would be
        nice.

        The 14 seems heavy to turn for me. But I come from a foil background so I
        may be used to faster handling. My partner was also from a foil background
        but lately he has gotten used to the 14 and enjoys it more than his foils
        now. So it may be just a matter of getting used to the slower handling?

        As mentioned before I won't compare it to anything else out there. But I
        will say that I have a great time with the kite, go upwind well, jump high
        and float long, relaunch it well, have had no problems with them yet, so
        for the price you can't really go wrong.

        If you have any questions, feel free to write.

        Marc
        GoExtreme.dk
        marc@...

        At 12:32 01-11-01 +0100, you wrote:
        >Hi,
        >
        >Has anyone here tried the "Rebel" from Windtech?
        >How is the Rebel compared to Naish, Wipika and NorthRhino...
        >in construction and in the air?
        >
        >//
        >
        >Hampus
        >Kitepower Sweden
        >Tel. 00 +46(0)46-24 78 10
        >Fax. 00 +46(0)46-24 71 36
        >www.kitepower.se (Butik)
        >www.kajt.com (Galleri)
        >
        >Support your local kitesurf association !

      • Kitepower
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
          The Worldwide Kitepower chain is beginning to form all you other shops may
          as well close now, or talk to us about how to become a Kitepower store.
          You've been warned! ;-)

          Cya and
          Goodwinds
          Steve McCormack
          http://www.kitepower.com.au
          mailto:sydney@...
          126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
          Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
          Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic