Reel Leash Connections-Go Leashless

  • GIW4240@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
      I used a Reel Leash for about 4-5 months, perhaps 30-40 days, and broke it
      twice and finally went leashless about 2 months ago, which is by far the
      safest way to go. When I used the Reel Leash, I had a 1 1/2" black webbing
      strap sewn across the back or butt side of my DaKine Fusion harness, about 4"
      above the lateral hold down strap. This strap allow me to velcro the Reel
      Leash to the cross strap, which allowed the Reel Leash housing to move side
      to side about 6-8". It worked well, stayed out of the way, and was pretty
      invisible until I broke the house plastic bars which hold the velcrow
      attachment, and later the knotted and sewn buckle/clip connection. All the
      time I used it I knew it was just a matter of time, when almost daily use
      would render the device a canidate for the Kitesurfing Museum of Evolution
      Exhibit of good ideas that were not constructed in real life bulletproof
      manner.

      That being said, and based on my own personal experience, I have come to the
      conclusion that the best of all worlds would have you or me mount a Reel
      Leash in the manner described, but only use it for certain situations. Those
      selective situations being, in large surf, rocky wave entry and exit zones,
      kelp zones, rescues, or if you dump your kite and need to teather your board
      while you while you deflate or fold it to swim in, to not loose your board.
      Bascially, I would use it only as needed for those type situations.
      Generally, I feel the safest and most secure without a leash and with a
      helmet. Now all I need to do is fix or replace the broken Reel Leash.

      Gary
    • kitebord@pacbell.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
        --- In kitesurf@y..., GIW4240@A... wrote:

        > I used a Reel Leash for about 4-5 months, perhaps 30-40 days, and
        broke it ...
        > I had a 1 1/2" black webbing
        > strap sewn across the back or butt side of my DaKine Fusion
        harness, about 4"
        > above the lateral hold down strap. This strap allow me to velcro
        the Reel
        > Leash to the cross strap, which allowed the Reel Leash housing to
        move side
        > to side about 6-8" ... I broke the house plastic bars which hold
        the velcro...

        Don't you think maybe it broke because of your custom attachment
        method?

        > Now all I need to do is fix or replace the broken Reel Leash.

        Have you contacted NorthShoreInc.com? If they'll only honor their 90
        day warranty, they may at least give you a great deal on a
        replacement.

        Mel
      • Kitepower
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
          That is where all the leashes I've seen damaged break too. I have mentioned
          this to NSI, I hope they get them changed.
          The leash is not a throw away if this happens though, the ones I fixed are
          still being used.
          Drill 1/8th holes just beside the broken bracket, get some 800lb spectra out
          of my line cupboard and tie across where the brackets were. Now put
          everything back together. Simple!
          ;-)
          It is worth the effort.
          The case breaks because the brackets are too weak AND because of the way the
          webbing cradle that holds the actual reel is attached to the part that
          goeson your leg/harness. The cradle webbing should be sewn to the main
          webbing , just where they exit the top bracket (the one without the
          stainless housing screws) and magically they will not break there anymore,
          at least the ones I have modified have not, so far.

          Cya and
          Goodwinds
          Steve McCormack
          http://www.kitepower.com.au
          mailto:sydney@...
          126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
          Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
          Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic

        • dlent@nycap.rr.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
            It might work with inflatibles but I've tried with a two line foil with
            very little success. I believe, since I'm usually riding overpowered
            to powered and edging to "depower" the kite that I cant get enough
            edge or hold enough edge with my body. When I sweep the kite
            the result is more like a beginner's body dragging (i.e., I get
            dragged downwind or pulled up off my body's edge). Anyone have
            any luck with a foil using the "leashless method"?
            Dennis
            Some of the other kiters around here ride leashless and I've lost my
            board even with a leash about 5 or 6 times. Luckily most of the
            time there's other kiters and windsurfers who'll gladly drag your
            board back to you. I've only had to drag into shore and swim out to
            my board once. One other point about retrieving your board is its
            color. Unfortunately my twin tip is dark blue on the bottom and
            black on the top. I lose sight of it when I drag. I'm having a
            custom wakeboard made and I can pick the color and graphics.
            Any ideas as to what is the most visible color against the water?
            Our water here tends to be the darker, deep blue of the Atlantic.
            One other thing I've been toying with (besides having my name and
            address as part of the graphics{this way is someone "finds" it
            they'd have to do a bit of board repair work to remove my name}) is
            some type of strobe or glowstick that's activated when your feet are
            seperated from the board. I guess I could just buy an inflatible but
            that is too easy a solution ;-)
          • Marc Munzer
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
              The method works fine with the flysurfers. I have lost my board three times
              and always got back to the board. However, I've never been super
              overpowered though. And all three times I was on a directional so I was
              probably on a smaller kite than I would have been with if I had been on my
              small twintip.? I think it should work anyways though because with your
              body in the water, you never develop any real forward speed, so there won't
              be any apparent wind to work against. Just make sure to fly the kite down
              very slowly and hold it locked in position. Each time you sweep the kite
              you will loose ground.

              Marc

              At 09:18 01-11-01 -0500, you wrote:
              >It might work with inflatibles but I've tried with a two line foil with
              >very little success. I believe, since I'm usually riding overpowered
              >to powered and edging to "depower" the kite that I cant get enough
              >edge or hold enough edge with my body. When I sweep the kite
              >the result is more like a beginner's body dragging (i.e., I get
              >dragged downwind or pulled up off my body's edge). Anyone have
              >any luck with a foil using the "leashless method"?
              > Dennis
              >Some of the other kiters around here ride leashless and I've lost my
              >board even with a leash about 5 or 6 times. Luckily most of the
              >time there's other kiters and windsurfers who'll gladly drag your
              >board back to you. I've only had to drag into shore and swim out to
              >my board once. One other point about retrieving your board is its
              >color. Unfortunately my twin tip is dark blue on the bottom and
              >black on the top. I lose sight of it when I drag. I'm having a
              >custom wakeboard made and I can pick the color and graphics.
              >Any ideas as to what is the most visible color against the water?
              >Our water here tends to be the darker, deep blue of the Atlantic.
              >One other thing I've been toying with (besides having my name and
              >address as part of the graphics{this way is someone "finds" it
              >they'd have to do a bit of board repair work to remove my name}) is
              >some type of strobe or glowstick that's activated when your feet are
              >seperated from the board. I guess I could just buy an inflatible but
              >that is too easy a solution ;-)
              >
              >Support your local kitesurf association !

            • Rainer Leuschke
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
                On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 dlent@... wrote:
                > custom wakeboard made and I can pick the color and graphics.
                > Any ideas as to what is the most visible color against the water?

                coast guard orange (duh ;) or red.
                R!