[ksurf] Re: Proposed kitesurfing rules

  • Hung Vu
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
      > I kitesurf in Miami FL which I is undeniably guarranteed the most
      > heavily boat-trafficked place on the face of the earth, and these
      > people simply DO NOT understand what is going on here! I
      > wonder if their brains just shut down or something when they
      > see me kitesurfing out there. It HAS TO BE YOU that takes
      > responsibility out there on the water and take action to avoid
      > any collisions. Those goo-brained boaters certainly don't
      > know any better than to stand with their jaws gapping open.
      > My 2 cents next time I see another luxury yacht bearing down
      > on me at 25kts!

      I had the same problem kitesurfing on my "tiny" lake. So far I has
      taken all the actions to avoid any collision. However, being on a
      "tiny" lake, the local boaters/windsurfers are more "space conscious",
      more "well trained" and a number of them has asked me whether the
      traditional sailing rules are applicable for kitesurfing and how?

      They want to know the "rules" to be "in control" of the situation.

      I guess they deserve a more "well thought out" answers than just "trust
      me! I will try to avoid you at all cost" or "don't worry! I am the only
      kitesurfer around here".

      Hung.
    • Peter A. Traykovski
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
        Ken Winner wrote:

        > From: Hung Vu <hungvu@...
        > > I have set up a new page on my web site to propose a set of kitesurfing
        > > rules to let other water users to know what to do when we are
        > > approaching each other on the water. If we all agree on this set of
        > > rules, we can effectively share the same water space with other
        > > water-crafts and among ourselves.
        >
        > Start with the maritime rules of the road. These apply to all watercraft and
        > should be understood by all watercraft.
        >
        > Bottom line: Except for wave sailing and racing -- special circumstances --
        > the existing maritime rules of the road and every person's sense of
        > self-preservation are all we need.

        Every person's sense of self-preservation may be all we need, but some people
        just don't see an obvious danger. Yesterday while doing a downwinder (the only
        kind of kitesurfing I know how to do!) in buzzards bay, ma (a fairly busy body
        of water) I had a power boat pull in parallel to watch what I was doing and
        where did he pull in...you guessed it about 30m downwind of me right under my
        kite. Since I'm a begginer and not in 100% control at all time I figured as
        long as I am going he will continue to watch and stay there, so I lay down
        backwards and let the kite fly overhead till they lost interest and went away.

        I think rules are good, but because we are such strange craft, and no one reads,
        knows, or obeys the rules anyway, we need to be really, really carefull to
        avoid dangerous situations for ourselves and just as importantly for others.
        This means picking your lauching and landing sites with extreme care and
        avoiding situations on the water.