[ksurf] Re: Proposed kitesurfing rules

  • Raul F Argilagos
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
      >VERY
      >HARD to for non-kitesurfers to understand that they have to keep clear
      >of a "kitesurfing vessel" of 50 m in width.
      >

      >The problem is with non-kitesurfers. They DO NOT know how to deal
      >with
      >us.
      >
      >Hung.

      I kitesurf in Miami FL which I is undeniably guarranteed the most
      heavily boat-trafficked place on the face of the earth, and these
      people simply DO NOT understand what is going on here! I
      wonder if their brains just shut down or something when they
      see me kitesurfing out there. It HAS TO BE YOU that takes
      responsibility out there on the water and take action to avoid
      any collisions. Those goo-brained boaters certainly don't
      know any better than to stand with their jaws gapping open.
      My 2 cents next time I see another luxury yacht bearing down
      on me at 25kts!
      Raul

    • Hung Vu
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
        > I kitesurf in Miami FL which I is undeniably guarranteed the most
        > heavily boat-trafficked place on the face of the earth, and these
        > people simply DO NOT understand what is going on here! I
        > wonder if their brains just shut down or something when they
        > see me kitesurfing out there. It HAS TO BE YOU that takes
        > responsibility out there on the water and take action to avoid
        > any collisions. Those goo-brained boaters certainly don't
        > know any better than to stand with their jaws gapping open.
        > My 2 cents next time I see another luxury yacht bearing down
        > on me at 25kts!

        I had the same problem kitesurfing on my "tiny" lake. So far I has
        taken all the actions to avoid any collision. However, being on a
        "tiny" lake, the local boaters/windsurfers are more "space conscious",
        more "well trained" and a number of them has asked me whether the
        traditional sailing rules are applicable for kitesurfing and how?

        They want to know the "rules" to be "in control" of the situation.

        I guess they deserve a more "well thought out" answers than just "trust
        me! I will try to avoid you at all cost" or "don't worry! I am the only
        kitesurfer around here".

        Hung.
      • Peter A. Traykovski
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
          Ken Winner wrote:

          > From: Hung Vu <hungvu@...
          > > I have set up a new page on my web site to propose a set of kitesurfing
          > > rules to let other water users to know what to do when we are
          > > approaching each other on the water. If we all agree on this set of
          > > rules, we can effectively share the same water space with other
          > > water-crafts and among ourselves.
          >
          > Start with the maritime rules of the road. These apply to all watercraft and
          > should be understood by all watercraft.
          >
          > Bottom line: Except for wave sailing and racing -- special circumstances --
          > the existing maritime rules of the road and every person's sense of
          > self-preservation are all we need.

          Every person's sense of self-preservation may be all we need, but some people
          just don't see an obvious danger. Yesterday while doing a downwinder (the only
          kind of kitesurfing I know how to do!) in buzzards bay, ma (a fairly busy body
          of water) I had a power boat pull in parallel to watch what I was doing and
          where did he pull in...you guessed it about 30m downwind of me right under my
          kite. Since I'm a begginer and not in 100% control at all time I figured as
          long as I am going he will continue to watch and stay there, so I lay down
          backwards and let the kite fly overhead till they lost interest and went away.

          I think rules are good, but because we are such strange craft, and no one reads,
          knows, or obeys the rules anyway, we need to be really, really carefull to
          avoid dangerous situations for ourselves and just as importantly for others.
          This means picking your lauching and landing sites with extreme care and
          avoiding situations on the water.